German arms collector arrested: police found a V1, a Panther tank and a torpedo

During a police raid in Kiel, Germany, police found, amongst other WW2 weapons and munitions, a V1, a Panther tank and a torpedo in his villas basement and garage. They called the Bundeswehr to help them transport and disarm the weapons.

14357704373780.jpg

http://www.welt.de/regionales/hamburg/article143408616/Weltkriegs-Panzer-in-Wohnhauskeller-gefunden.html

http://www.shz.de/lokales/kiel/video-razzia-in-heikendorf-panzer-und-torpedos-in-villa-bei-kiel-id10112661.html

According to german newspapers, they also found an anti-tank gun. Some of his neighbours in the village where he lives (Heikendorf) knew he was collecting arms, he also was occasionally seen driving around in one of his tracked vehicles.

More images:

Suche-nach-Kriegswaffen-in-Heikendorf.jp

ein-bergepanzer-der-bundeswehr.jpg

urn-newsml-dpa-com-20090101-150702-99-11

31110226,33877506,highRes,maxh,480,maxw,

panzer468_v-vierspaltig.jpg

Sources:

http://www.faz.net/aktuell/gesellschaft/menschen/weltkriegspanzer-in-keller-entdeckt-13681655.html

http://www.welt.de/vermischtes/article143477395/Weltkriegs-Panzer-aus-Ostsee-Villa-geborgen.html

What amuses me most ist that he had torpedo. A freaking Torpedo! Calibre 533mm and filled with about half a ton of high explosives! According to one of articles, he initially even had more than just one torpedo but he sold the others... my guess is because he couldnt get a submarine.

Yeah, nothing like having an armed WWII torpedo just sitting around the house...LOL. Imagine you walk out in the garage and your kid is pounding on that thing with a hammer. "Look Dad!" WHACK!

Ok so, I can see them confiscating bombs and crap, but do they have the right to take his tanks? That's BS. That Panther looks mint.

Mord.

As someone earlier said that Panther G is in excellent condition. Almost as if it rolled off the assembly line right into this guys garage. There is hardly any wear at all on the road wheels, except that caused by the Bundeswehr dudes dragging the tank across the road to the flatbed.

Ok so, I can see them confiscating bombs and crap, but do they have the right to take his tanks? That's BS. That Panther looks mint.

His fault was that he didnt take care of the necessary paperwork. Collecting deactivated arms is entirely legal in Germany, but if the german law classifies them as "weapons of war" (RGPs, howitzers, tanks, etc), you need a license and proof they have been properly deactivated. His small arms (about 70 rifles, pistols, etc) were all registered, but he had no papers for the big stuff. The authorities will now check whether or not his heavy weapons are properly deactivated and then a court will decide whether or not he gets his collection back. If he gets it back, he will probably have to pay a hefty fine though, + the costs for all the legal proceedings.

I think the authorities reacted appropriately.

Source:

http://www.kn-online.de/News/Aktuelle-Nachrichten-Ploen/News-Aktuelle-Nachrichten-Ploen/Staatsanwaltschaft-sucht-in-Heikendorf-nach-Kriegswaffen-aus-dem-2.-Weltkrieg

• 3 weeks later...

If I recall what I read right, this guy even used his Panther once. Sometime in the 70's. Helping out after a snow storm or something.

Yeah he did use his Panther multiple times, not just once. One time he was helping out after a snow storm and another time he was helping a neighbour with pulling his truck out of a ditch or something. :D.

In an interview with Der Spiegel the owner of the Panther recently said:

"I dont know why everybody is so excited, it' s just a Panther tank! Yes, i did crush my ex-wifes car with it and yes, i understand why my neighbours were upset when i went deer hunting with my Panthers 75mm gun in their forrest, and yes, i understand why the mayor was unhappy when i drove through a freshly paved road with my 40 ton tracked vehicle. But seriously, has a Panther tank ever hurt anybody? Well, yes, i know there are 27 kill markings on the 4 meter long barrel of the high-velocity anti tank gun, yes, buti assure you that noone has ever used that gun for anything but peaceful purposes."

Edited by agusto