Sliders for Bazookas, Snipers, Tank firing etc.

Surely as it is a game people should be able to vary it to make it enjoyable for them. Rather than a fixed value for certain features why not have sliders that can be changed under options? Examples:

Bazooka - default 50% chance hit at 100 yards. Slider to vary from 0% to 100%

Snipers/marksmen - default 3x accuracy of ordinary rifleman. Slider to vary between 1 and 10 times.

Tank firing on move - default setting, variable to 0% or 100%

You could even do it differently for each side if you think Shermans should be able to fire on the move; or German snipers better than US.

Surely as it is a game people should be able to vary it to make it enjoyable for them. Rather than a fixed value for certain features why not have sliders that can be changed under options? Examples:

Bazooka - default 50% chance hit at 100 yards. Slider to vary from 0% to 100%

Snipers/marksmen - default 3x accuracy of ordinary rifleman. Slider to vary between 1 and 10 times.

Tank firing on move - default setting, variable to 0% or 100%

You could even do it differently for each side if you think Shermans should be able to fire on the move; or German snipers better than US.

I think you're mostly missing the point of this game. It's more of a simulation than most games. An incredible amount of research has gone into it, and to make bazookas "for example" some sort of god-weapon under 100m, would be contrary to the entire spirit and ethos of the game. Even the current 'difficulty' settings would be better termed "Fog of War" settings.

If you want your bazooka teams to hit more, ramp up their experience level to Crack or Elite. If you want it to be easy, give yourself a large force bonus in the QB setup. And don't even bother opening up any of the campaigns.

If you want your tanks to fire on the move and hit things, try CMSF, blue side. Heck, that'd work for your zooks (called Javelins... :) ).

Seeing as there are whole threads on bazookas, snipers, and tanks firing while moving I thought easy tailoring would enable people to change it to what they wanted. I didn't realise CMBN was a cult and what I suggested was a heresy. Sorry, or 'my bad' as the children seem to say these days.

Seeing as there are whole threads on bazookas, snipers, and tanks firing while moving I thought easy tailoring would enable people to change it to what they wanted. I didn't realise CMBN was a cult and what I suggested was a heresy. Sorry, or 'my bad' as the children seem to say these days.

Yeah. You miss the point, all right.

If you want your tanks to fire on the move and hit things, try CMSF

My tanks can fire on the move and hit things in CMBN. Though said firing on the move and hitting things is at Slow and at knife-fight ranges (i.e. cat-and-mouse stuff in Norman villages). :D

altipueri: Yes this is a cult, and suggesting new ideas or coming up with innovations that might make it a more fun game will get you excommunicated or worse...

However, I can't say I would be thrilled with a difficulty slider since as said above, CM is attempting to be somewhat more realistic than your average game - even a good one like ROME-TOTAL WAR for example.

Yea verily, any and all dissent is swiftly and ruthlessly quashed... :rolleyes:

The multiple discussion/argument threads throughout these forums show that this simply isn't the case.

Poster A thinks Idea X would be good. Poster B disagrees. Why is Poster B's disagreement wrong? If Poster A went on to disagree with Poster B, would Poster A's disagreement be regarded as not wrong?

Besides, womble didn't flame or berate the OP; he merely elucidated the nature of the game in question. And he even offered suggestions as to how the OP could achieve (albeit to a quite limited degree) the effects he was after without waiting for BFC to implement the changes which the OP mentioned.

I must admit that I do weary of people throwing up ideas that are not relevant to this particular game and then screaming that they are being oppressed when that simple fact is pointed out to them. No one has said that there should never be a game exhibiting such features as the OP brings up, just that they are not consistent with the design philosophy of CM as stated on multiple occasions by BFC. I would have thought that so clarifying matters would be considered a service to the OP, as it would give him some sense of what to expect from the company. But to each their own...

Michael

I must admit that I do weary of people throwing up ideas that are not relevant to this particular game and then screaming that they are being oppressed when that simple fact is pointed out to them. No one has said that there should never be a game exhibiting such features as the OP brings up, just that they are not consistent with the design philosophy of CM as stated on multiple occasions by BFC. I would have thought that so clarifying matters would be considered a service to the OP, as it would give him some sense of what to expect from the company. But to each their own...

Michael

Well said.

To be fair, a "Change accuracies to how I'd like to play them" is not really all that far off from the dedicated grogs' "Change accuracies to how I imagine they should be!" When CMBO first came out the general cry was "This can't be right!" because the sim busted so many preconceived notions. So there's some irony that the cry "This can't be right!" returns decause the title doesn't replicate CMBO. :)

I was gonna ask why we can't Lasso units in this game ...

uh ... I'm pretty sure you CAN lasso units in this game.

from the manual, p.11:

UNIT SELECTION

Left-click on Unit ....................... Selects Unit

Right-click on Map ..................... Deselects Unit

Double-click on Unit ................... Group-select formation

SHIFT+Left-click ....................... Adds additional units to group

SHIFT+Left-click & Drag ........... Drag selection rectangle

............................................... around multiple units

Surely as it is a game people should be able to vary it to make it enjoyable for them. Rather than a fixed value for certain features why not have sliders that can be changed under options?

I'm sorry but i have to disagree with you on this point, i suffer from Anoraknophobia, which is a fear of sliders, so if your suggestion was implemented it would ruin the game for me.

Surely as it is a game people should be able to vary it to make it enjoyable for them. Rather than a fixed value for certain features why not have sliders that can be changed under options?

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't a fundamental problem with this idea that in order for two people to be able to play against each other, they must have compatible, if not identical, copies of the game? If I have sliders set at such and such and you have them at something else, wouldn't that bolix up data transfer?

Michael