Too dark? Panzer Marsch campaign

Is anyone else finding this frustrating? I'm onto the third battle of the Panzer Marsch campaign, and wishing really hopefully that dawn will come soon. It's a pity we don't get parachute flares or illumination rounds.

In my spare time I'm a freelance digital illustrator, and my monitor is calibrated regularly using a hardware calibration device (spyder2) - so I'm not prepared to mess about with the brightess controls.

The only way I've found of getting a halfway decent idea of the layout of the roads, trails, hedgerows and gaps is by assigning a massive 360 covered arc to a couple of units.

2zs8u3r.jpg

I'm with you on this one - where are the burning Shermans when you need them.

Quite accurate though, I'd love to be able to hear what the pixeltruppen are really bitching on about down there, not much fun tripping over a lenth of briar and coming crashing down with you NCO just behind you!

Ahh the venomous hissing and mutinous muttering that will be going on.

I had this same problem on this campaign seeing as how at least the first 1/3rd of it is before dawn. It would definitely help to have some sort of tool to highlight your troops at night. This in conjunction with a disappearing contact icon bug can have you losing the location of troops in the dark. And forget about retrieving casualties unless you're gonna do a meticulous search of the ground level.

Yeah, this is an issue that really ought to be moved to the top of BFC's infamous List.

Playing a night battle during the daytime is a complete no-go for and are an uncomfortable eye-straining exercise even when it is properly dark in the room.

Gamma adjustments would be a start but some non gameplay related light source option would be even better. Some big light over the battlefield that you can switch on without it impacting spotting rules. Or if you want to make a certain someone really happy, make it look like parachute flares.

My monitor is against a full glass wall, with skylights above. Therefore I vote for in-game gamma controls.

I've actually started setting up a dawn game, minimised the game and come back so I can see the units (the game clock doesn't stop in setup).

Wish I didn't have to use a bug for this.

Thanks for all the replies and input. As I said, my monitors (two 22") are both calibrated using hardware calibration devices. I ain't going to mess around with their physical controls to make this game brighter.

Having said that: Maybe it's just that I was too keen to play a German campaign, and too disppointed that the first three missions take place basically at night. What WERE the advantages of attcking at night during WW2? If they can hear you coming then they know to stand to.

There are good and bad about fighting at night. Freedom from tactical air is a pretty good reasons; areas under enemy observation become livable again, allowing movements not otherwise possible/feasible during the daytime.

If we have night battles, we should have hand-to-hand fighting as well, noise security for infiltrators.

I am totally with the OP with this one. I have also calibrated my monitor for graphic design work, so I am not going to touch my monitor settings for any game. There should be in-game settings and/or the night battles should be lighter, maybe with some blue tone in them. But I do undestand that in-game gamma settings would require some work.

"But it's realistic!" is not a valid point here.

Achtung Panzer: Kharkov also had this very same problem. What's with the wargame developers and the pitch black night?

Not much of a gamer huh?

I think he was being ironic.;)

As in Python's Four Yorkshiremen's sketch.

ie a real game would do something REALLY drastic to get around the dark screen problem eg pay £1,000,000 for 'One-Use-Only' infra red eyes or something equally ridiculous and lose health, house and family for a 2 hour session - and think that it was worth it.

How about trying different display profiles - this will go some way to helping. Most video card drivers for PCs will allow quite a lot of tweaking in their control panels, and setting up custom profiles for individual apps and games is quite easy usually. This will enable you to keep your calibrated display profile and have custom CMBN profiles for day and/or night play. I have a custom profile to dial down the (IMHO) over-satuartion of in-game graphics for instance.

If you are on a Mac just use the Colour tab in the Displays System Preference panel. Your hardware calibrator will have already created a profile here for you in all likelihood.

HTH

LS

I must say I started this campaign last night and I'm not much of a fan either! It really surprised me to be honest. I'm more than a little disappointed with the first two missions, and have just given up :( It just isn't that much fun in my honest opinion.

I've spent all my time so far, and you don't get much at that, trying to find a clearing in a hedgeway that I can get my vehicles through! But then I couldn't find one, and I struggle to make the clearings out anyway and it's even harder at night. So I decided to blast my way through with pioneer, which I'm guessing you are supposed to do hence there availability - only to find the gaps weren't large enough for my tanks lol.. Talk about frustrating. That's all it is about at the moment. Judging gaps and running out of time. Not a well designed campaign judging by the first two missions.

So I decided to blast my way through with pioneer, which I'm guessing you are supposed to do hence there availability - only to find the gaps weren't large enough for my tanks lol.. Talk about frustrating.

I found out that you can create larger gap blasting same place twice. It will not work everytime, but that way you can make gap large enough for vehicles.