God. I hate bogage

I must admit the terrain takes some getting used to after the mobility of playing CMSF.

Bocage is slow going, and much more static. It is not a real problem though in that you can make maps without it. Who knows what terrain will come in the future expansions? It's like ice cream. There realy isn't any bad ice cream, but we all have particular flavors we like best.

Yeah, you don't have to ONLY play in bocage....it's two choices in a huge editor, you don't even have to wait for another module. Stay positive, there'll be plenty of scenarios/maps with towns, trees, farms, cities, you name it.

Look in my scenario thread in the mods section to get an idea of what's being worked on.

Mord.

I think the CM:BN dev team nailed it with their treatment of bocage and fighting in Normandy. I'm incredibly impressed with the game despite a few personal nit-picks.

The one thing that stands up is just how frustrating an experience this must have been for troops fighting in this dense terrain. The frustration of defense and attack is well portrayed as is the challenge of C2.

If you're not keen on bocage battles, I think you're going to be seeing a lot more non-bocage stuff coming out of the fan made scenarios and campaigns. It seems reasonable that the majority of the scenarios provided with the game feature it quite heavily as it's a defining feature of Norman terrain and is something the uniquely identifies June 44 in France from other periods/locales of the war.

The interesting thing about Bocage is how important it is to the Normandy campaign. There's no other campaign I can think of where a particular type of tactical terrain played such an important role. The closest second place I'd give is the mountain campaigns in Italy, but at the tactical level it was mostly elevation/slope, not so much terrain per se.

Anyway, there's only one game we could ever do that would involve Bocage. So, we might as well do it right :D

As has been said, there's no reason for people to battle it out through Bocage. Given a few more weeks I'd say there will be plenty of non-Bocage scenarios to choose from at the Repository. Or modify existing ones by changing the Bocage to Hedges/walls, removing them completely, or punching a lot more passage ways through it. It will probably screw up the forces and AI balancing, but it could be fun too :D

Steve

Although I have full game, I've been playing the Busting the Bocage game on the demo repeatedly now.

I've read up on the paper regarding the 29th Infantry's tactics. I've tried them out and by and large, the tactics work. Still the infantry gets depleted quickly sometimes.

To me, the bocage tactics seem another variation of deploying overwhelming firepower onto the far side bocage hedge where the Germans are lurking.

Blast it enough with direct fire from the Rhinos and mortars, and with covering small arms fire, it should be relatively easy to get over to the far side without suffering too much casualties.

Getting the Shermans knocked out by Panzershrecks and Panzerfausts can be frustrating at times though. Not to mention immobilsation on the bocage hedge.

One small problem now. The missus has confiscated my new MacBook Pro 17" so no more playing for some time.

Dan

Bocage is what makes this game so freakin great, never in a game have you had to use small unit tactics to perfection. Every command has to be thought out and every unit has to have cover fire, supressing fire and whatnot. I could play bocage scenarios on and on. Just my two cents worth.

'Pointe Du Hoc' is not exactly smothered in bocage. :)

If you have taken the cliff, you face exactly that when you have to go on inland in search for the guns.

Let's see how Hürtgen Forest plays out when CMx2-engine arrives there...

I`ve had all the CMx1 and CMx2 games and I find this horrid fighting in bogage the most boring of all. I really hate it.

Roll on the modules

Yeah - what a freakin pointless post ... Personally I hate trees and grass - and there is crap loads of it all over the place.