Do you play any music while playing?

Just passing time here... (sigh. I've even resorted to playing Doom 3(!) to pass the time. How desperate can ya get?)

Way back when, in the CM:BO days, I had a PBEM opponent (can't remember who it was) commenting on me playing Bing Crosby songs while thoroughly beating him (at least that's the way I remember it. :D).

Are there others here, who prefer to play period specific music while playing CM?

Nothing like listening to artists like Der Bingle, the Andrew Sisters, Glenn Miller, the Ink Spots or the Mill's Brothers, Cab Calloway, Jimmy Durante, a young Ella Fitzgerald or Bob Hope (among many, many others) while you're beating the hell out of your opponent or the AI. Or vice versa, as the case may be.

If you haven't, try it. It really sets the mood (at least it does for me). Heck, It even worked in Fallout 3!

Not really. I like the game sounds. Driving games, Combat Mission, whatever, I want to hear the game sounds, not music. Music is for the daily commute. I like to hear the winds in the trees or the buzz of a Cazador.

As for passing the time. I downloaded the CMBB Demo. When CMBN comes it will be an angelic experience with the new graphics!

What an interesting playlist you have there, Juju. Very cool indeed. I don't listen to anything while I'm playing CM(whatever) but I frequently do when I'm working on maps or other editor related stuff. Usually something Baroque (Bach and Handel being particular favourites) but very occassionally, I will listen to some of those golden oldies you've listed there as well. Also, Pink Floyd, Queen (their early stuff), Genesis and Heart. I should try some AC/DC when I'm playing though. For some reason, their music always makes me smile. It was so good humoured.

For CM, I normally go with game sounds only, but as a pre-game mood builder (or whenever I play VASL), I like to listen to period music. -Love it.

My usual station is "Rat Patrol Radio" on Live365. It has some period news and PSA clips between the songs. There is a good selection of stations like this. Just search under big band, swing, OTR (old time radio), 30's, 40's, etc.

I also love the old radio shows from the 40's and 50's. There are some great comedy shows from back then and I get a kick out of the sponsor plugs and jingles.

Macisle

For CM, I normally go with game sounds only, but as a pre-game mood builder (or whenever I play VASL), I like to listen to period music. -Love it.

My usual station is "Rat Patrol Radio" on Live365. It has some period news and PSA clips between the songs. There is a good selection of stations like this. Just search under big band, swing, OTR (old time radio), 30's, 40's, etc.

I also love the old radio shows from the 40's and 50's. There are some great comedy shows from back then and I get a kick out of the sponsor plugs and jingles.

Macisle

Listening now, very cool

Just passing time here... (sigh. I've even resorted to playing Doom 3(!) to pass the time. How desperate can ya get?)

Way back when, in the CM:BO days, I had a PBEM opponent (can't remember who it was) commenting on me playing Bing Crosby songs while thoroughly beating him.

Well, no wonder... that's almost an insult!

I prefer electronic... no vocals to distract.. perhaps Klaus Schulze and the X CDs.

At times "Creeping Upon" from the old Command and Conquer game... although the pace is better suited to a click-fest RTS...

I don't listen to anything while I'm playing CM(whatever) but I frequently do when I'm working on maps or other editor related stuff. Usually something Baroque (Bach and Handel being particular favourites) but very occassionally, I will listen to some of those golden oldies you've listed there as well.

I'd forgotten to mention that. I have a specific ritual. When I am in serious map-making mode ("This map will be done today!") mode I pop on some Vanessa Mae music, it's a weird fusion of classical violin pieces with pop.

Music? This is war, man! I've got no time to cart around some 30 pound RCA Victor radio and belt out tunes to the troops, I'm helping them survive. When they get their R&R they can listen to music, but for now they'll listen to their commander's steely voice urging them on to victory!

When playing any of the cm games, I usually play the Band of Brothers OST in the background, which sets me in that "War is hell, and I don't wan't anyone else from the cast to die"-mood.

Or I might listen to some of the 10+ podcasts that I follow on weekly basis.