Combat Mission: Battle for Normandy Video AAR

My first chance to watch the video and I am very impressed with most of what I am seeing, particularly the vegetation, the individual soldier animations, vehicle motion and the sound effects.

As others have said, I would have preferred the presentation to have been at a somewhat slower and less 'jumpy' pace but I suppose that is a by-product of real time play. Perhaps another video might be turn-based?

One worry, already picked up by someone else, are the instances of vehicle clipping. One of these was particularly severe and really didn't look good. Given the generally close nature of the terrain and the fact that, inevitably, there will be many instances of over-crowding, this is something, IMO, that needs to be eradicated. It is a jarring note in what is otherwise a very smooth looking production.

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tyrspawn ... as mentioned by others ... WeGo, some up close MG firing, and perhaps a link to download and savour at our leisure? I'd love to grab the video and savour it ... if you could post it for download somewhere, that'd be nice. I can host on one of my servers if you want.

Perhaps another video might be turn-based?

:) And of a much shorter scenario... Was it really 90 minutes? Kudos on making a watch-through eat time as effortlessly as actually playing most games do. When am going to get any sleep once this comes out?

Tyrspawn ... as mentioned by others ... WeGo, some up close MG firing, and perhaps a link to download and savour at our leisure? I'd love to grab the video and savour it ... if you could post it for download somewhere, that'd be nice. I can host on one of my servers if you want.

It is possible to save youtube videos. Just google it.

The quality of the downloaded video is the same as the stream. Just make sure you download the correct version of the video (HD or Full HD).

On Firefox there are several addons for that. Search for 'video' in the Add-on manager.

If you use Firefox you can install an extension called DownloadHelper. With it you can save youtube videos at whatever resolution youtube plays the video at. This one is pretty big. I am currently downloading the 1080p video - so far the file size is 672MB.

I will notify of the final size once the dowload is complete.

You said you wanted to notify us, when it was done, not every 2 minutes. :mad: Use the editing feature and don't spam replies.

Nice video. Good to see that it runs smooth. Now all that is missing, is mouse interaction and I am happy (I mean I wanna play the game). :D

Great AAR. Gave me a really good feel for the game. I didn't find the tank motion effects at all off putting, though I do agree that the tank crew's infantry combat abilities are disconcerting.

For a future video AAR, if there's time prior to release, maybe you could try locking the view to an interesting unit (say a Panther or a Sherman) and with the camera at ground level just let the recording follow the unit for 30 seconds or so. The same can be done unit-by-unit so that you get more of a 'film' effect.

If you pause to issue commands, then resume recording in this lock to unit mode, you might end up with a nice little CMBN 'documentary' :)

Question:

Aren't the dimmed colors of the unit bases a step backward from CMx1?

In CMx1 they were really great for orientation and in the replay phase, before first contact (or when observing a certain area), you could zoom out the map and fast forward the replay-phase until you saw the first enemy green/red/blue unitbase-color appearing.

Hey Kwazydog, I hear what you say about the possibility of knocking out tanks with grenades but in real life you just don't come across many instances of this happening, you would have to time your throw so it would explode on or above the rear deck and then pray it would get through the grill and hit something vital, thats a tall order. In the AAR the yanks ko two tanks this way and the first one is 5m away, more than 15feet...sorry but no, not buying that.

You will not come across this often in RL, because moving tanks into infantry's terrain without infantry protection is forbidden and suicidal.

Seconded! Glad I wasn't going to be the only jerk to say it :)

I really do appreciate your effort with the vid, but the constant flying around not only doesn't let us see the details of the action, but gives me an aneurism. I actually had to stop watching about half-way through.

Also a thanks from here for the video - better than nothing. But the realtime clickfest and permanent camera movements, while interesting action is moved away from the screen, makes me sick. Couldn't watch the video to the end.

Why don't we get a WEGO-video, where CMBN can show it's strengths modelling tactical combat and where the action is shown in it's full glory?

Question:

In CMx1 they were really great for orientation and in the replay phase, before first contact (or when observing a certain area), you could zoom out the map and fast forward the replay-phase until you saw the first enemy green/red/blue unitbase-color appearing.

Just look for the icons. They fulfill the same purpose.

Question:

There are the floating icons that serve that same purpose and they are very noticeable.