Combat Mission: Battle for Normandy Video AAR

I was a bit disappointed to hear some of the same lame American (and German) voice snippets from CMx1 and CMSF. I was hoping for all new ones. Just a minor irritation however, I still love the rest of it.

Agree here with german voice acting taken from CMX1. I´d have expected new ones, that also add a bit more realism and "drama". Reference material like Frontschau, Lehrfilm, FMs shouldn´t be hard to obtain, as well as numerous volunteer (german) voice actors.

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks for putting together this VAAR. its takes a lot of time to put these together and I have enjoyed your other CMSF vids.

Battlefront: you have finally made a reality the game that I always wanted to play. close combat and CM in a 3d enviroment. Congradulations and a Job well done.

I dont think anyone of would mind it a bit if you pre-released this game tonight.

After seeing it here and in the last AAR I am starting to agree that tank crews should be far more timid and moved to the rear automatically by the AI once their ride is knocked out. Wait and see in a few weeks I guess.

Am loving the sound effects.

After spending thousands of hours modelling these vehicles Ill have to disagree with that...panthers, shermans, tigers and many tanks all have engines that are visible from outside of the vehicle through their engine covers. Any fragments, be it from grenades or even small arms fire, that passed through these covers has the chance to knock out oil lines, water hoses, electrical fittings, etc.

And not just fragments, I should think. If the grenade goes off while in contact with the rear deck, I would expect that the blast entering the louvers would have a chance of knocking something loose and even starting a fire.

Michael

Hey Kwazydog, I hear what you say about the possibility of knocking out tanks with grenades but in real life you just don't come across many instances of this happening, you would have to time your throw so it would explode on or above the rear deck and then pray it would get through the grill and hit something vital, thats a tall order. In the AAR the yanks ko two tanks this way and the first one is 5m away, more than 15feet...sorry but no, not buying that.

Chris these videos are just great! Thanks for uploading them. Can I ask one favor please if you are putting up any more. Can you please curtail your mouse action just a bit, and allow us to see some of the action unfolding.

Seconded! Glad I wasn't going to be the only jerk to say it :)

I really do appreciate your effort with the vid, but the constant flying around not only doesn't let us see the details of the action, but gives me an aneurism. I actually had to stop watching about half-way through.

Now that I see the HD is up, I shall try again.

edit: apologies, I see you'd already responded to Nidan before I posted this. Carry on, and thanks again!

There has been discussion here about grenades killing tanks. I was just watching the video and noticed the narrator saying that the tank is killed by grenades thrown by the squad hiding behind the trees. But if you look at the video 27:56 you can see a back flash and a projectile in the air then its strikes the tank and explodes. So we are *not* talking about potato mashers here. Those guys must have had a Panzerfaust.

Is that the tank kill you guys have been debating?

Details do matter, otherwise this game would have been out more than a year ago. But I'm not going to get my knickers in a twist over something that isn't really a big deal. No game we've ever made is perfect, so I think if all people have to complain about are helmet edge shapes and recoil, then I'm pretty happy about that.

Steve

Ahh Hah! So you have not modeled your knickers well enough to get them in a twist?!!! How about the German knickers?

Seriously thanks for the vid. It'll preoccupy us for a few more days of waiting. Kind of like sneaking in to your parents room and peaking at your presents before they get them wrapped. You can look, you just can't touch. Nice to see it and it looks hot.

Super work guys, that was some entertainment. The 2nd battle was the shizz! I would like to see 2 skilled players on each side both take a video and narrate from their own vantage points. That would be the ultimate AAR:) Love the suspension works on the Panthers also. Great stuff BF!

The video was amazing. Here I was in bed with the flu and my iPad and found the AAR. I atually forgot I was sick for 1.5 hours (though the mouse action did make me a bit quesy)

I can now be thankful that CMSF was first as the advances in the game engine were definitely worth the wait. It really looks great. CM:Ostfront should look like I am looking out the window (and if I am playing in winter in Canada, it will feel like it too).

Thanks for all the great work that BF and the testers put into this.

Great, great, great stuff. Thanks for taking the time to make the AAR's. I'm getting a little crazier than usual waiting to get my own eyes on it. I have the flu as well, and it indeed was the best medicine.

The 1080p selection isn't working for me (all others do). Is it for anyone else? I'd like to see it just a little sharper.

Fantabulous vids! Like some others here, I kept trying to move around the map and grew frustrated when I couldn't control it!

I noticed the voices sounded the same as the CMx1 voices. Are these the final voices?

I heard they were going to get Gilbert Gottfried to do new voices for all sides, but after the Aflac fiasco that fell through...

:D

Game looks great.

I can see not allowing rocket launchers in buildings. My dad told me of sandbagging a bazooka into a basement window and remotely firing it to disable an assault gun, and the big reason it worked is nobody expected a bazooka to be fired from a building.

The bailed-out crew vs. infantry thing is ok with me, if it's rare. Didn't anybody see Bogey go at it in "Sahara?"

Seriously, most of the time I think a bailed-out Sherman crew would be more interested in not being on fire and trying to get the Hell out of Dodge than engaging an infantry squad, but soldiers do odd things.

As to the hand grenade vs. tank idea, I think it's a stretch. If AT rifle grenades aren't tracked, then I can see them being bundled with magnetic, sticky and field expedient devices to give infantry a generic short range AT ability, but explaining it as simply chucking a HE hand grenade on a tank deck hoping to KO it seems like a reach.

I got a kick out of factoring in rifle grenades when deploying and moving infantry in CMBO, and I'll be sorry to see them gone, but it's a quibble. The game looks fantastic.

I like the "bouncy" tanks. Might not be realistic, but it's a great visual.

As to the CMBO voices, it does seem odd to hear them again...but if the sound can be modded, I'm sure there will be a hefty number of choices available soon.

Perhaps the Germans should all speak Sgt Fury comic book German..."Vat ist dis, dese paper are Fake! Arrest dot man!" It would go with the Thompsons making a "BUDDABUDDABUDDABUDDABUDDA!" sound, and the rifles going "KERCHOW!"

{Gilbert Gottfried voice} Let's get some noise discipline here!{/Gilbert Gottfried Voice}

I LIKE IT!!!11!11ONE!!

LOL

I would die happy if Battlefront did that with no explanation. They just decided to use Gilbert Gottfried for all voices in the game. That would be amazing.

LOL

I would die happy if Battlefront did that with no explanation. They just decided to use Gilbert Gottfried for all voices in the game. That would be amazing.

Personally, I would prefer just a little bit of variation. Maybe have Scouts sound like Elmer Fudd; "Be vewwy, vewwy quiet! We're gonna hunt Germans!"

Can we get a confirm on whether or not grenades can be thrown out of windows?

Also, do you guys plan on implementing melee combat in a later module or by the time the Ostfront game comes out?

And tyrspawn personally I'm glad you were playing like you normally play. I want to see how the game plays... and we did get some cool zoom-ins :).