The road ahead... a recap

If I had to ban myself everytime I got one of you Finns upset about your neighbors, my post count would be at about 100 :D

I can confirm that the NATO Module for CM:SF will have German and Canadian forces in them.

Yes, the plan for CM:SF 2 is to bring modern warfare to a temperate environment and update the military hardware for both sides. That means top end Russian equipment for the Red side as well as taking into account whatever changes happen for all forces between now and then. Oh, and of course all relevant improvements made for Normandy will also be in CM:SF 2.

Steve

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want North German Plain - Fulda Gap - Danube Valley '85 with Soviet, East German, Polish, Chezlovakian, US, West German, Austrian, Swiss, French, British and Dutch Forces!

sad-smiley-019.gif

...ah, and maybe a modul with swedes + the rest

EDIT: ...and chemical warfare + tac nukes

...and DDR-workers militia + GST-Schützen !!!!!

... + Trabi-VBIEDs and BRIXMIS !!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for your answer Steve, I understand your position. ;)

Yes, the plan for CM:SF 2 is to bring modern warfare to a temperate environment and update the military hardware for both sides. That means top end Russian equipment for the Red side as well as taking into account whatever changes happen for all forces between now and then. Oh, and of course all relevant improvements made for Normandy will also be in CM:SF 2.

Raaaaahhhhhhhhhhh, keep it that way !!!! :D

If I had to ban myself everytime I got one of you Finns upset about your neighbors, my post count would be at about 100 :D

Steve

Got to look forward to that. Thanks for the info.

Someone could Mod the Canadian forces into French forces. They speak French in Canada you know

Yeah, with this crazy accent of theirs :D

Yes:)

An Up North MOD that added "Eh" on the back side of a proper French sentence... Well we would have to fix this, Eh?:D

The Road Ahead looks bright for CM fans regardless of our language or location.

Now, if the French government wants a specialized version for training purposes, that's a different story :) If they pay we can hire people to add all the French stuff into the game, test, and create scenarios. But we've had no offers from them so it's not likely to happen.

Steve

Well, not after the "Freedom Fries" they won't. :D

I can confirm that the NATO Module for CM:SF will have German and Canadian forces in them.

Steve

Why not an 80s setting then? at least most of those armor values etc. are sort of "known", probably better known than the ones dealing with semi-future equipment.

Gryph

Why not an 80s setting then?

I used to play board games such as "Fulda Gap" which basically simulated World War III - i.e. massive confrontations between the old Soviet Union and the West involving tactical nuclear weapons, nerve gas and pretty much every nasty weapon ever invented, so I know where you are coming from!

Having said that, it's now 2008/9 and we all know that '80s "World War" never happened. That would make your back-story full of so many "what ifs" I think it would spoil the immersion for me.

If we are to have a game of high-intensity conflict between major nuclear-armed states I would prefer a near-future conflict. We all know Russia is seeking to become a Superpower once again and be as powerful as the West on the world stage. Why not some future conflict with Russia - a Russia that has somehow regained its former military glory? From the few posts by BFC on the matter, I think this is a more likely setting.

Ah, just what the starving WW2 fanatic wargamer needs- a summer release of CMx2 Normandy! I am looking forward to the buildup of screenshots and other "bones" thrown by BF as we get closer to gold. Should make for a great diversion from the sweltering Virginia summer heat.

Glad to hear that replays are available again Steve, I like having the option to watch especially exciting action at a whim.

Having followed the various debates on the board as a long-time CMx1 player who has never purchased SF, I can honestly say that the argument as to whether RT or WEGO is better doesn't matter to me in the least. I am just thrilled that we will have the choice as to how to play. Definitely Win-Win all around... :D

Who wouldn't love to see all the old tank series like the M60, M48, M47, Chieftain, Centurian, AMX 30, and Leopard tanks squaring off against T-62s, T-54s, and T-55s or even each other? I would like to take the old M-60A2 for a spin just to see if putting a missile on a tank would make any sense. So many nations used those old tank models in the world (and even still use) that once the models were built you could include almost any nation's TO&E. If you replicate NATO vs Warsaw Pact from 1948 to the present there is no limit to the number of different nations you could potentially create since all the equipment used by NATO and Warsaw Pact was exported throughout the world during the whole Cold War. Pakistani M48s tangling with Indian Centurians and Shermans. Israeli Super Shermans tangling with Jordanian M48s. Iranian Chieftains, M-48s, and M-60s tangling with Iraqi T-72s. Turkish M-47s assaulting into Cyprus. Taiwanese M-60s holding the beaches against ... whatever the heck the Chinese are / were driving around in. It just seems like it would be logical to create all the NATO and Warsaw Pact cold war armies because of the utility of the models and how many nations they could be ported to. The battlefield combinations that some of these third world nations could field against each other would make for some very interesting tactical situations I think.

dpabrams,

While you would like to see Fulda Gap, I would love to see 1950-53 Korea and we would each be willing to pay $100 for the pleasure.

That is the problem. Limited resources and time and who knows what the market is like for either. I am still hoping though that since there has been a derth of games based upon The Korean War that this will be considered. (And I am hoping that the possibility of expansion modules based upon additional countries will be a draw). I will not hold my breath though.

I'll probably take a stab with some of the CMSF modules (already have marines). However, with the OPFOR being Syria in any event, how much will a couple different Euro nations packs add to the variability of the game?

If I match up my new UK soldiers against the Syrians, am I just seeing the same cakewalk with different vehicles and soldier models? Within the scale and context of CMSF, what else will change besides graphics to give the game a different feel than vanilla (US Army) CMSF?

SlapHappy,

I'll probably take a stab with some of the CMSF modules (already have marines). However, with the OPFOR being Syria in any event, how much will a couple different Euro nations packs add to the variability of the game?

If you've played the Marines Module and feel that has nothing new to offer, then I think the answer is that the Brits and other Euro forces probably won't add much to the game for you. If you have played the Marines version and get a different feeling from them, then for sure the Brits and other Europeans will feel different all on their own. Even more so, I suspect, since there are so many new weapons, vehicles, formations, voices, etc. to experience compared to the differences between US Army and US Marines.

And of course there is also Blue vs. Blue, though that's a sort of side benefit and not a primary one in our opinion.

Steve

I guess I'm inching my way towards a question here....

If I have a Syrian squad which is Crack and a Marine squad which is Crack, are there any differences besides hardware capabilities?

Is it apples to apples as far as troop qualities go in the game, or is there still a variation based on troop nationality or branch of service?