WW2..?

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by REVS:

More evidence, from the little Polygons thread...

"Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

Dan just made a wheeled vehicle that has more polies in one wheel than was in a CMBO tank

Steve "

Oh yeah, so they compared Dan's work on a CMX2 tank with the exact same tank in CMBO did they? Why make that comparison?

The evidence mounts. Crossword puzzles with the answers being "juno, sword etc" appear in the Times, making the organisers jittery. The evidence mounts, pointing towards an invasion on the French coast, methinks.

And the highlighter letters spell: NARVIK. :D

Dan just made a wheeled vehicle that has more polies in one wheel than was in a CMBO tank

Steve "

Oh yeah, so they compared Dan's work on a CMX2 tank with the exact same tank in CMBO did they? Why make that comparison?

Since when did a tracked "tank" become a "wheeled vehicle"? :confused:

Regards

Jim R.

Kanonier Reichmann is correct... you guys are a bunch of "nancies" smile.gif In no way, shape or form, did I imply that Dan just built a model for CMx2 that was in CMBO. I just stated that one wheel of the vehicle he DID build has more polies in it than tanks found in CMBO. Probably some in CMBB too, though we bumpped the poly count up significantly for BB/AK so that is why I pointed to BO.

Hope that clears things up :D

But at least Revs scored 1000 and 100 at the same time ;)

Steve

Hmmm, I will probably be crucified for this, but I just can't resist...

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

To put it into Normandy context, if you're fighting as part of a US division in July and August of 1944 you are not going to experience anything that specific division wouldn't have experienced.

I KNEW IT! NW Europe 1944-45. :cool:

Hehe... I gritted my teeth when I wrote that example, but then again... I figured no matter what I wrote someone would say (seriously or in jest) that this means we're doing WWII NW Europe. I could have used "Sticky Frogs from the X Dimension" and people would have said "that example is so silly it is obviously just that... a silly example. Therefore the first game must really be WWII NW Europe". You guys are so predictable :D

Steve

One thing I think about is that the first two will be announced soon. Now, I'd be awful surprised if both weren't WWII, but I would be nearly as surprised if both were. After all, many people have given great reasons why one game would be WWII, but nobody (of those saying both WWII) has exactly explained why they would both be. Now, I think one would be WWII for all the good reasons people have said, and the other won't to show the versatility of the engine, get out of a rut, do new stuff, etc. I'm part of the near-future fan-club, myself. After all, who said it would be historical?

Originally posted by von Churov:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

You guys are so predictable :D

Steve

May be...may be!

But...we will all see how unpredictable you guys were when you show up with CMx2.

Or how predictable you were all the time? :D:D:D </font>

Hi,

My usual rant on this subject is that we must all harden ourselves to the fact that not “every” release of CMX2 will do the trick for every fan of CM. This is the inevitable downside to so many releases, but more is of course still better than less. I will buy all of them, no point denying it, but a few months later some will no doubt be gathering dust on my hard drive.

For my part if there is a game set in NWE, plus one on the Eastern Front with a module or two for each, then I will be more than happy over the coming five years smile.gif Also, maybe foolishly, I would be very surprised if the two above mentioned settings were not covered at sometime in the life of CMX2 as they are the most popular. But may not make the first two titles.

There is also likely to be a modern setting in the cooker, which will also be fun. Great to have a new set of toys to play with. The technology matters to me, big part of the fun.

All in all the increase in titles will greatly add to the fun, but as stated above, inevitably some of the settings would not have made it on to my list.

Lots to look forward to smile.gif .

All the best,

Kip.

PS. Massive potential in a modern setting for making Battlefront lots of dosh. If they get a modern setting right they could attract large numbers of more casual gamers. Their $50 is worth just as much at that of Battlefront’s more hard-core fans such as us ;) .

Originally posted by kipanderson:

PS. Massive potential in a modern setting for making Battlefront lots of dosh. If they get a modern setting right they could attract large numbers of more casual gamers. Their $50 is worth just as much at that of Battlefront’s more hard-core fans such as us ;) .

Eh, no. WW2 is guaranteeably (???) less risky choice than some post-WW2 or fictional conflict. Just look at how much money SPR and BoB brought to Spielberg & Co.

Steve loves these threads, it's his way of torturing ya'll!! ;)

I'd be surprised if it was not WWII, Europe, 44-45 but on the flip side I have a strange desire for a game with crustaceans... call me crazy.

I'm a bit disappointed that the scale will be cut back some but I understand why. Some of my favorite battles have been the monsters, I'm talking Regiment size monsters. You get to a certain size and simply can't micro manage, you have to let the TacAI handle it. It's more of a big picture type fight, which fits my personality.

Steve "

I don't see anything in Steve's wording that specifies that it was "the exact same tank". In the passage that you quote, Steve says that it is a wheeled vehicle.

Why do we have to point these things out to you?

:rolleyes:

Michael

Originally posted by kipanderson:

I guess if the biggest thing we have to fool with is a reinforced couple of companies, i.e. the "combat team" scale that Steve mentioned, the maps themselves could get roomy enough for a Red Storm Rising type of slugfest with ATGWs and such.

Hell, I'd buy it as long as they don't make the Harpoon II "Ecuador vs. Peru" mistake.

Possible working title then, to avoid copyright issues: Combat Mission: Team Red Sox.

-dale

i am reading about the French in IndoChina post WWII, haven't gotten far into it, but it would be interesting for Battalion level and down.

although I would love to see ETO '40 to 45.

Battle of France also Norway possible, maybe Dieppe, then Overlord to Varsity.

There is no campaign to like 40 to 45, so it would be like CMAK with just different threathers incompassed into the game loosely.