97 New Screenshots Added!

We thought you guys might like to look at some more screenshots today, so we prepared an all new gallery with nearly 100 new screenshots.

As always, everything you see (3d models, textures and effects) are still beta and are to be considered unfinished.

Enjoy!

CM%20Shock%20Force%20Debug%202007-02-07%2013-01-29-03.jpg

Madmatt

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow. There's so many images of some of the new features that Steve has been hinting at, I don't know where to start!

1) Differing heights for walls.

2) Small ditches, defiles.

3) Directional lighting.

4) New styles of buildings.

5) Infantry unit formations.

And I could go on. . . this aint a bone, it's a whole carcass! :D

I know that there are countless request for things to be put in, but looking at these one thing that seems to be almost universal these days are "containers".

Whether on the backs of trucks, used for storage or accomadation, or even when filled as roadblocks or blast protection, they would be a simple but I'd say worth while addition.

Peter.

wow! Amazing. :D

Thank you for the screenshots.

Will we be able to see an enemy tank's shadow if we have not spotted the actual tank yet? (Like see the shadow move into position behind a building, thus giving away the location of the vehicle.)

Looks great.

Gpig

Lots of great screenshots here. Sometimes it's like I'm looking at stills from the latest Middle-East (OK, Iraq) News Broadcast.

Pretty much everything!

Dislikes: -

The smoke effect could be better. I've seen some beautiful smoke effects in "Red Orchestra" for instance.

The laser guns (as has already been mentioned).

P.S. Looks a bit too much in the US player's favour at the moment. Next time give us something positive for the other side, like some burning US vehicles after an Uncon attack.

Superb shots! Landscape looks beautiful with just the right lighting and sand colors. Walls, ditches, and these tightly arranged house blocks are very nice. Map editor will be a game on its own smile.gif

Some minor observations since these are still WIP graphics,

-I hope we will see some kind of distance haze feature,(like a slight CMx1 fog perhaps). The lack of this is evident in some "camera 1" screenshots where depth of view and distant objects/landscape dont quite feel and look right. They need to be less sharp with paler/cooler coloring maybe. This will also reduce the table feel of the 3d map, blending its edges with the horizon.

-Variation of lighting color depending on time of day/weather. Warmer for sunset, dusk etc. The cycling sun position is already a huge improvement.

-If possible, more objects to break up flat long roads, dumps, random debris whatever. Some folk elements as well, decorations, characteristic types of buildings like the mosques you are already including, more character and life for the villages/towns.

Overall, its an impressive and obviously hard work so far. Well done!

Darkmath - the drool will dry up quickly when you have to do some house-cleaning as part of a mission smile.gif

Couple of comments:

- the "laser guns" are not only placeholders ("textures" have been added since those screens were taken) but also exaggerated due to the static screenshot. It's a picture of a bullet in flight and more noticeable than while playing.

- debirs: lots more "debris" objects still need to be added. We only have a handful in so far, street lights, telephone poles, oil drums and sacks, but there will be a lot more going in during the final "polishing" phase.

- Lighting color variations is also still going to be improved somewhat, but it won't be as superb as with Theatre of War probably, and since it's just a visual effect, it's fairly low on the massive list of things still do to before release.

Martin

Cool.

I especially like how none of the compass needles (in the upper right of some pictures) are pointing to North. No doubt it's because you've modelled the effect of reading a compass near a large metal tank. (/sarcasm)

Okay - fix the compass THEN I'll buy the game...

;)

Cheers,

Ken

Originally posted by MikeyD:

At the risk of dredging up an old topic, I couldn't help but notice those low stone (concrete?) walls in the screenshots look just about perfect size for Jersey Barrier substitutes! its the little things that make me happy. smile.gif

You really want to make that Thunder Run scenario don't you :D

Originally posted by MikeyD:

At the risk of dredging up an old topic, I couldn't help but notice those low stone (concrete?) walls in the screenshots look just about perfect size for Jersey Barrier substitutes! its the little things that make me happy. smile.gif

Good point! If BFC doesn't have time to create Jersey Barriers (and, IIRC, they've said it's pretty low on their priority list), they're pretty much identical in terms of tactical effect. So it would be a really cool thing if BFC left a couple of extra slots open in the the "low wall" skin bmps -- this way, enterprising modders could "create" Jersey Barriers after release -- kinda like some of the winter/snow mods for CMx1.

I suspect this same system could be applied to other terrain features. . .

Cheers,

YD