97 New Screenshots Added!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These are objective zones. They can be different for both sides and visible to one, both or none. "Visible" not only in a visual sense (you can toggle them on and off anyway) but also in the sense that one side only will know what their objectives are... or both sides... or none. So you might even not fully know your own objective, if that's what the scenario designer wants.

Besides zones, there are also other types of objectives, namely unit based as well as force based.

Martin

PS. All artwork of course is just temporary.

BTW, just a suggestion -- For anything new on the site, can there be something published on the Blogfront RSS so that we'll all know right away?

Also, wondering if it would be possible to generate RSS feeds for the boards, and even on a member name basis, so that I'll get a ping every time Steve posts, for example. Dunno how hard this would be to set up, but I do a lot of RSS reader stuff, so it would be convenient.

Finally, the smoke and cannon firing graphics -- placeholders, or close approximations of how they will look in the final product?

There is an RSS feed for the main news you can subscribed to additional to the blog. That's where the release of new screens etc. would be announced normally. Go to:

http://www.battlefront.com/news.html

There is an XML button on top of the news column. That's the feed. (IE7 users can also subscribe to it via the browser)

Smoke and muzzle blast are placeholders.

Martin

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

OMG, the graphics of the menn look that good, that i though, this were a photograph. Even the trousers seem to pucker. And then the grass! Or the screenshot with the fighters. INCREDIBLE.

This is the first game, with colors and shadows that look like photographs.

Rollstoy do you have any info, what they use, to make it look that perfect?

Too bad it is only a FPS.

Will CMSF with the final graphical polish have the same realistic colors/contrast/lightning?

I am guessing it will not look as good as ArmA, but how could it. Bi Studios has lots of money to spend and lots lots more employees. Also the FPS market is larger and the computer specs better on average than the smaller market that BFC plays in for now. (even though this may change that)

Also I do not know of any RTS games that come close to FPS graphic abilities. CMSF looks great but also will have a better grasp of realism as far as physics, ballistics, and unit model behavior than any FPS has done. You can call that a trade off if you like but I think its just a great balance system considering you would need a super computer to play a game that could have it all.

Originally posted by Steiner14:

Rollstoy do you have any info, what they use, to make it look that perfect?

Unfortunately, no.

Guess they just throw more polygons and larger bitmaps on top of existing technology (bump mapping, self-shading).

I guess the biggest novelty is the depth-blur post-processing. I have never seen it in action.

Best regards,

Thomm

Originally posted by Cpl Steiner:

At least on my machine, Armed Assault is really jerky and slow. The stills look amazing but once you are in game it just doesn't do anything for me.

I have exactly the same problem. It's unplayable.

Martin

I'm getting tears in my eyes (i have been totally absent for two years from the games-market). This pic also looks unbelievable.

Is this fantastic contrast effect a product of v3.0 pixel shaders using HDR? Or what's the reason that such a realistic contrast/colours hasn't been available in older software using dynamic lightning?

Originally posted by Steiner14:

Definately. I just looked at some of the videos and while the graphics are very impressive, the gaming experience seems to be nothing new at all. Always the same.

But just wait until the mutants attack! The mutants, Steiner, that's what these games are about. Innovation? Pah. 1337 monsterz are the way to go.

Actually, that really ruined Farcry for me. :( Very traumatic.

Something tells me I'll be skipping Crysis, for my own wellbeing and that of my GPU.

[ April 18, 2007, 09:01 AM: Message edited by: Dr. Zoidberg ]