Thoughts on 1.03?

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by KwazyDog:

On top of those changes we adjusted the way the lighting engine reacts to terrain to help bring out the elevation detail of the terrain.

Dan

Still needs some work in that department, even though it is a great improvement over previous versions. It's still quite difficult to make out the small (but all the more important!) terrain height differences from altitude. You have to zoom in really close, or keep the camera uncomfortably close to ground, to make out those small slopes and berms adequately.

Originally posted by Exel:

Still needs some work in that department, even though it is a great improvement over previous versions. It's still quite difficult to make out the small (but all the more important!) terrain height differences from altitude. You have to zoom in really close, or keep the camera uncomfortably close to ground, to make out those small slopes and berms adequately.

Depending on the time of day there will be times when they are harder to make out as the sun is coming from an almost 12 oclock position, and unless we artificially light the terrain there isnt a lot we can do about this unfortunately. We will look into this further though.

Originally posted by KwazyDog:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Exel:

Depending on the time of day there will be times when they are harder to make out as the sun is coming from an almost 12 oclock position, and unless we artificially light the terrain there isnt a lot we can do about this unfortunately. We will look into this further though. </font>

Btw, great work Kwazy. Colors and textures are spot on, very pleasant shades. I like the fact that you didnt overdone the colors but you kept a realistic pallete. Just a minor thing, the "grass" texture could be a bit more earthy. It is just a little too saturated after 1.03 imo.

Models are the best I've ever seen in a wargame so far. Hope some time in the future you'd be able to code visual damage as well.

I played another scenario and the blast movement was "hit and miss". The guys blew a wall down and move through ok. Then they would not go through a wall in the hospital. They took the door and didn't even try to blow a hole in the wall. So, it worked, and then didn't. I guess I will consider it friction of war and presume the boots on the ground know what they are doing!

Just downloaded the Paradox patch and played through three (ultra) quick battles and a scenario a couple of times to see how things are working.

The AI seems to be considerably improved in 1.03. I have been working on a small scenario where two US platoons attack a small uncon held village at dawn, to be played as the Red side. I created it to see how IEDs worked in the game. In 1.02, the AI couldn't make an effective attack because the infantry crawled and the Strykers just stood idly by while their charges gotr shot to hell. It was too easy for red to get a total victory.

After playing it twice this morning, I got slaughtered twice by the AI. Yes, the Crawl of Death is still there but I would have expected that squad to do that seeing as how it was just blasted by a huge IED and ambushed by a small fireteam. Or again, when the squad in question was the target of a lot of incoming fire. Otherwise, the squads are moving aggressively and the Strykers are putting out an enormous amount of fire. Once somebody opens up, he has about 5 seconds before incoming suppresses him. The scenario was over in 15 minutes. Whew, it will require a lot more work to balance it.

Can't say it looks all that much different but I have been running the game on Best settings since I got it. (I only play on smallish maps so it's doable. I don't have a NASA computer)

Now I can start playing the Campaign. I'm looking forward to some QB force selection fixes later. I seem to get very odd force mixes. Especially frustrating receiving Syrian FOs but no artillery (playing as Red) They're just cannon fodder.

Just installed the Paradox 1.03 and had a quick battle of 'Al Fubar'. The graphics and performance have improved. This patch plus my new display driver: I'm in Smooth City.

At first, everything went really fine. I even managed to get a little bit excited about the game. My poor stranded squads sat nice and cosy in the buildings, waiting for the reinforcements. Occasionally, they stopped the rushing red waves with sporadic bursts of fire.

Unfortunately, my reinforcements arrived. A Stryker column makes me feel exhausted right away. I ordered a couple of Strykers to advance and, once again, it became apparent that it's impossible to move an entire column or a section of it at the same time. The first pair moved ahead fine but the next Stryker took an immediate right turn, drove into the closest building and struggled there until it managed to get back to the road. Meh.

With some further testing, I did notice that the pathfinding is in fact a little bit better than previously. Or less bad, that is. Fortunately, it looks like it's finally possible to give RT movement orders while paused on 'elite' setting. That helps tremendously my efforts to keep some control of the battlefield.

Even with these fixes, somehow I keep wishing for more. More variety to the scenarios and maps, maybe. Something more than herding a flock of Strykers along empty streets. I don't know.

After a night of playing my verdict on 1.03 (everyone has been waiting, I know):

A step in the right direction. Still have some LOS/LOF issues, but fewer it seems. Pathfinding seems a little better with less overrunning waypoints. Strykers still reluctant to fire on infntry without direct intervention. See T72s using AT rounds more, not really sure due difficulty in tracking ammo in replay. Still can't figure out how to get infantry to stop without in the spot I say.

Good Work, keep it up.

Infantry movement problem....

playing "House Clearing"

infantry moved to wall and into 1st building by gate...(no problems looks OK)

fought it out with forces in left building of the 3 level one structure that are connected...took building and moved in (no problems)

ISSUES START

ordered infantry to blast move to next level one building connected (move from left to right in 3 connected buildings next to gate)

they all whent prone (OK)

blast destroyed wall (Great...plan is working)

infantry squad ran to roof to enter next building via roof rather than through blasted wall (argggggg...thats me screaming and also the sounds of my squad getting cut apart as they run across the rooftops out in the open)

guess Ill wait until 1.04

Originally posted by heckler_rider:

infantry squad ran to roof to enter next building via roof rather than through blasted wall (argggggg...thats me screaming and also the sounds of my squad getting cut apart as they run across the rooftops out in the open)

Saw similar behavior in a quick trial run of 'Meeting in High Altitude'. Gave 'Fast' orders to two separate squads each ending in one of the two buildings. Sure enough, I saw soldiers appearing on the roof and moving from one roof to the other. Note, that the buildings touch only at one corner. I did not think that the engine could even plot a path there.

Moving onto the roof should be penalized much more to avoid this behavior for good!

Best regards,

Thomm

Originally posted by AdamL:

Is there any chance of making things like hasty positions ("scrapes") and trenches invisible until spotted, so that the attacker doesn't know the dispositions of the defense from the start?

What's a hasty position (scrapes)?

I mean I know what it is in real life but what is it in game terms? Where does it come up...not in the editor is it?

Mord.

Yes, with 1.03 the game is approaching fun. Question: Are AFVs now reversing, popping smoke and/or displaying situational awareness when they're aware of being outgunned?

Also, and this has gotten no attention, we need a terrain base colour for tree areas when using Alt-T.

Or diaphanous trees as in Age of Empires, lol.

Originally posted by panzermartin:

About the lighting, it would be good if scenario designers always set the hour at 16-1700 with clear weather. terrain is completely different with rich contrast/shadows and very well defined elevations. Pretty atmospheric too. I also noticed that sand reflects light really well and its ideal for a hilly map.

A.b.s.o.l.u.t.e.l.y!

This should be posted as a guideline in the Scenario forum!

Best regards,

Thomm

Originally posted by Captain Adultery:

a shellscrape is a coffin sized trench to fight out of.

But what are they in game terms, or where are they I should say? I don't see anything like that in the editor except maybe craters.

Mord.