The Wrong Left Turn and the Uncanny Valley

1. Improved the graphics to the level we have now.

2. Used 1:1 squad graphics as we have now.

3. Ditched the idea of RT play for WEGO only

4. Raised the world resolution to 1m x 1m grid.

5. Fractioned the 1 minute WEGO turn down to 20 or even 10 seconds.

Certainly the lower turn length would have helped cut down on the wait for turn calculations, but could make the overall time to complete a game enormous if Steve's calculation times are correct

I think this all boils down to the the turn calculations. We can all say we don't care about the graphics or real time, but as I believe Steve has said those aren't critical issues to the game in terms of calculations. I think people just use them as an excuse.

People (including Steve) wanted the engine to do certain things. Like have an incredibly detailed spotting system (if still buggy). Problem is there needs to be trade offs for anything. Computers may be more advanced than during CMx1 but apparently not enough to get the new features and the same resolution.

We can go around in circles and say "such and such feature that I don't like is ruining the game". It is much harder to say "such and such feature I do like is ruining the game".

Which goes back to the crux of the original point, was it worth it to go to 1 to 1? Personally I don't think so, but I think there are arguments for it that aren't immediately apparent..

Really I think there are three ways to explain the game.

1) The game is doing the best job it can to simulate very difficult things.

2) The game is is doing the best it can but there are still considerable workarounds/improvements that can be made.

3) 1 to 1 can be done, but BFC lacks the resources/brains to do it.

I doubt the third, the question then is how far can they run with the current engine. Seeing the improvements they have made sense initial release I still think a long way.

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a long, carefully argued post to contribute to this thread, but unfortunately, repeated attempts to post it last night failed (server maintenance at BFC?), and I inadvertently deleted it when I left it as a word processed file on my Desktop and trashed it during cleanup. I need to get some file recovery software so that I can resurrect several hours of work. Meanwhile, I ask your patience!

Regards,

John Kettler

[ November 25, 2007, 12:08 AM: Message edited by: John Kettler ]

Originally posted by John Kettler:

SlapHappy,

Correct! CMBO was designed to run onb a 200 MHz PC with NO video card!

Regards,

John Kettler

:rolleyes:

Originally posted by Big Time Software - September 02 1999:

The 133 w/3D card is BARE BONES MINIMUM. Frame rate will be rock bottom, turn crunching will be dog slow, and sound will probably be minimal channels (unless the system happens to have a good card). But it should still be playable (we'll figure this out in Beta). Truth is, we don't know yet. Slowest system we have is a 166 w/card. It worked OK on it.

A 200MHz system with a 3D card would be the recommended system. Of course, a 400MHz with a good 3D card would be ideal. Anything over that isn't overkill, but close to it.

Steve

Originally posted by Rollstoy:

Here is a screenshot to pass the time waiting for 1.05.

The target MG is in a trench, behind a building and behind a tall wall. Nevertheless, the LOF check obviously gave green light to the firing MG.

Best regards,

Thomm

ImpossibleLOS1124.jpg

Sarge. Sarge! I can't obtain the target!

That's OK Corporal! Just aim for that bloody great red diamond floating in the sky!

• 1 month later...
Originally posted by C'Rogers:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />1. Improved the graphics to the level we have now.

2. Used 1:1 squad graphics as we have now.

3. Ditched the idea of RT play for WEGO only

4. Raised the world resolution to 1m x 1m grid.

5. Fractioned the 1 minute WEGO turn down to 20 or even 10 seconds.

Certainly the lower turn length would have helped cut down on the wait for turn calculations, but could make the overall time to complete a game enormous if Steve's calculation times are correct

I think this all boils down to the the turn calculations. We can all say we don't care about the graphics or real time, but as I believe Steve has said those aren't critical issues to the game in terms of calculations. I think people just use them as an excuse.

People (including Steve) wanted the engine to do certain things. Like have an incredibly detailed spotting system (if still buggy). Problem is there needs to be trade offs for anything. Computers may be more advanced than during CMx1 but apparently not enough to get the new features and the same resolution.

We can go around in circles and say "such and such feature that I don't like is ruining the game". It is much harder to say "such and such feature I do like is ruining the game".

Which goes back to the crux of the original point, was it worth it to go to 1 to 1? Personally I don't think so, but I think there are arguments for it that aren't immediately apparent..

Really I think there are three ways to explain the game.

1) The game is doing the best job it can to simulate very difficult things.

2) The game is is doing the best it can but there are still considerable workarounds/improvements that can be made.

3) 1 to 1 can be done, but BFC lacks the resources/brains to do it.

I doubt the third, the question then is how far can they run with the current engine. Seeing the improvements they have made sense initial release I still think a long way. </font>

Yup, we surprised even ourselves :D We thought what we call "Traditional LOS" (found in CMx1 and just about all other games) would have to stay around a lot longer than it did. If the computing power had not been found to make Enhanced LOS work, I know we could have got the old LOS system to a better state than v1.05. How much better? I don't really know. We were finding ourselves butting up against the point of diminishing returns probably sooner than gamers would have liked. Fortunately none of us had to experience that :D

Steve

Steve,

ELOS sounds great, and I'm pretty sure my PC can handle it. However, isn't there a moral argument to say that you shouldn't patch a game in such a way that it raises the minimum system specs? Anyone with minimum specs now may find the patched version is beyond their PC's capabilities. Could have "interesting" legal implications.

The simplest solution would be to have the game use normal LOS or Enhanced LOS according to an option setting. When I was a developer we never took features out. We just overlayed them all, with configuration settings to allow people to choose which one to use.

Don't worry too much! Even if you cannot play the monster scenarios out there any longer* (in RT), the benefits will far outweigh this loss.

Plus (and correct me if I am wrong) in WeGo this will only mean that the crunch times are longer, right?

Best regards,

Thomm

*) I did not try them, but I see no indication for this in regular scenarios; in fact I put visual quality at 'Best' some time ago and simply left it there - on a business laptop, no less!

Originally posted by Rollstoy:

Don't worry too much! Even if you cannot play the monster scenarios out there any longer* (in RT), the benefits will far outweigh this loss.

Plus (and correct me if I am wrong) in WeGo this will only mean that the crunch times are longer, right?

Best regards,

Thomm

*) I did not try them, but I see no indication for this in regular scenarios; in fact I put visual quality at 'Best' some time ago and simply left it there - on a business laptop, no less!

Crunch time? You seen any blue bars recently?

Adam1,

Overhead cover can be done with either system, it's just more "finicky" with a Traditional LOS system. The main reason for not having placable overhead cover is simply because we didn't feel it was a higher priority to include vs. the myriad of other stuff on the Wish List. For WW2 it is mandatory, though, since there was a lot of static, positional warfare. I've been discussing this in another thread (forget which!).

Cpl Steiner,

Yeah, the age old problem of improving a game post release and perhaps negatively affecting some existing customers. It's never an easy call to make, especially when we feel that probably 98% will be able to run v1.06 without significant performance decrease. However, *if* that happens we will most likely attempt to have an Option for Traditional or Enhanced LOS.

We all have to keep in mind that people can make scenarios that will bring even the fastest systems to a crawl, so it's sometimes difficult to figure out what the average person should be able to do. I remember Rune making scenarios that took 15 minutes for my computer to crunch, then I would get 1-2fps during movie playback. My system was well within the targeted specs.

Steve