General discussion about CM:SF

Originally posted by Andreas:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by TufenHuden:

I wouldn't mind this game but why Syria?

Iran would be a likely enemy....

Obviously you have been to a very peaceful school. Look, in the schoolyard it is always the weakest kid who gets dragged behind the bikeshelter and has the crap beaten out of him by the school-yard bully. In this case that is Syria. This is far more realistic than an attack on Iran - while the US could easily beat the Iranian army, take the post-war operations in Iraq and multiply the problem by, uh, a lot. Iran's male population that could be called up to serve is almost as large as the total population of Iraq, and three times the service-age population of Iraq, 4.5 times that of Syria. Landmass is almost four times that of Iraq, ten times that of Syria. Borders with lots of countries that are problematic in the case of Iran, only with US Allies in the case of Syria.

World factbook Iran

World factbook Iraq

World factbook Syria

Syria is to Iran what Arnold Schwarzenegger is to Woody Allen. I know who I would like to take on, even if I am Mike Tyson.

All the best

Andreas </font>

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A follow up question, what assumptions are being made about Syrian air defenses? This could have a significant impact on the game.

Since 1965, SAM's have been the crucial component in air defences. In 1973, egyptian SAM's effectively neutralised the IAF which of course led to many tank battles since IDF forces were now the main line of defence.

However in 1991 and 2003, U.S. and allied forces ruled the sky and most Iraqi tanks were destroyed from the air before they even came in contact with coalition ground forces.

In CMSF, if we assume that Syrian air defences are on par with the Iraqis, there will be very few Syrian tanks left for U.S. ground forces to engage, which means most scenarios would be attacks on infantry forces.

OK, add me to the disappointed side...

Fictional 2007?

Fictional scenarios are boring.

US versus Syria?

This is ludicrous. But maybe battlefront is right and young kids in the states will buy it. I won't.

No PBEM?

C'mon!

Sorry. I'm not impressed. I'm quite disappointed. I'm actually sad.

Will wait for a WWII simulation (and hope it will be the east front again, with T35 :)

I hope battlefront gets some serious money out of this : they wold deserve it -for CMAK and CMBB- but I fear they wont.

A lost opportunity?

We will see.

Originally posted by stoat:

Will there be claymores, or to a lesser extent, shotguns, and if they are included, how will you track all of the metal bits that they shoot?

PS: same question for cluster munitions.

Cluster bombs you'd have to track individually, I would have thought. Claymores and shotguns could be modelled statistically like machine guns are in CMX1.

Originally posted by M1A1TankCommander:

Anyway, Id like to see this kind of detail for the US Army soldiers

Wouldn't you want to see them in a combat outfit, not geared for training? tongue.gif

Anyway... let's just remember that even though the graphics will be a giant leap forward, the game will still be a tactical wargame, not first-person shooter. So there's no reason to show every individual nosehair.

Originally posted by dangerousdave:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by M1A1TankCommander:

Well, thats actually a Ranger vehicle.

Anyway, Id like to see this kind of detail for the US Army soldiers

I hope they don't model the MILES equipment. :D </font>

And remember, it is a Stryker brigade you are part of. So, sort of an improved armoured car.

Yes, this might be the sort of operation they are designed for, but a lot of their advantages (wheels = more reliable, quieter, airmobile, reduced logistics) won't actually matter that much in a company level game... and what will matter is that you'll be somewhat aware of the relatively thin skin. And playing the plucky syrians defending their homeland against neo-colonialists, I look forward to some ambushes...

hmm, might be able to simulate a bit in CMAK? Using CW forces, and their plethora of AC (75mm, Staghound AA etc)

Red on Red - oooh, Allawites vs Muslim Brotherhood here we come!

Originally posted by aka_tom_w:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Hoolaman:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by fytinghellfish:

BTR-60

Good for: Armored personnel transport

Similar WWII vehicle: M3 halftrack

Notes: Giant boat of a vehicle. Can carry twelve dismounts in addition to the crew of 2. Same armament as BRDM-2. Vulnerable to nearly anything - including small arms fire, shell fragments and evil looks from passing camels.

</font>

Originally posted by Bigduke6:

That's a modern Western concept. There are plenty of societies where a person is not considered a full member, unless he has a personal weapon and can use it. I would say some portions of the Middle East fit into that category.

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Dillweed:

Read the thread before you post. And I think by definition when they start being armed, they stop being civillians. smile.gif

</font>