General discussion about CM:SF

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by fytinghellfish:

I think there was a quote from an Iraqi tank battalion commander in GW1 who said something like "We went into Kuwait with 30 tanks. After six weeks of air attacks we had 25 tanks. After five minutes against the M-1 Abrams I had no tanks."

Ground power is still where it's at. Just remember that Syrian T-72s are not the Asad Babyl tanks the Iraqis had. ;)

OK Thanks

I could be wrong but I was always lead to believe helicopters bearing anti tank missiles where to be the GREAT leveler of the battlefield on the Fulda Gap to over come the advantage in numbers of tanks the Warsaw Pact had present in the 80's compared to the lack of tanks on the part of the NATO forces, thus implying all the "extra" Warsaw pact tanks would be held back (destroyed) by squadrons of attack helicopters firing precise anti-tank missiles against multiple targets.

BUT I could be wrong maybe it does not actually work that way in reality :(

-tom w

Originally posted by aka_tom_w:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by fytinghellfish:

I think there was a quote from an Iraqi tank battalion commander in GW1 who said something like "We went into Kuwait with 30 tanks. After six weeks of air attacks we had 25 tanks. After five minutes against the M-1 Abrams I had no tanks."

Ground power is still where it's at. Just remember that Syrian T-72s are not the Asad Babyl tanks the Iraqis had. ;)

OK Thanks

I could be wrong but I was always lead to believe helicopters bearing anti tank missiles where to be the GREAT leveler of the battlefield on the Fulda Gap to over come the advantage in numbers of tanks the Warsaw Pact had present in the 80's compared to the lack of tanks on the part of the NATO forces, thus implying all the "extra" Warsaw pact tanks would be held back (destroyed) by squadrons of attack helicopters firing precise anti-tank missiles against multiple targets.

BUT I could be wrong maybe it does not actually work that way in reality :(

-tom w </font>

Originally posted by Peter Cairns:

Dillweed does that apply to New Orleans...

Peter.

Indeed, at the the risk of being political,If I were in command I would have broken out the real bullets long before they did.

Edit: And that does go for the white "foragers" as well

[ October 08, 2005, 04:35 PM: Message edited by: Dillweed ]

This is exactly my concern. Doesn't sound that fun. Yeah, you can set up the victory conditions to make any scenario challenging, but it sure helps if there is a real fight to start with.

I'm sure I'll buy this, but not sure how much I'll like it...

Bravo! Super! When can I preorder!!!

A few questions:

Will any of the modules have tactical UAV's such as a Dragon Eye?

Dragon Eye Photos

How about the bigger UAV's like hunters and predators. Do they play a role in a CM sized fight?

Will the game include ground based laser designators for CAS delivered LGB's and artillery laser guided rounds such as Copperheads and Helo launched Hellfires?

Will the laser designation time be modeled so the laser has to be kept on the target for the entire time of flight of the weapon? If so can the guy with the laser be suppressed (sp?) with counter fire?

Will CAS aircraft also carry JDAMs, Maverick Missiles? Will there be just A-10's or also F-16's for CAS. Will they be able to use employ their Gatlin guns?

What about AC-130's. Will they be included for CAS?

edit: corrected a couple of typos

[ October 08, 2005, 04:47 PM: Message edited by: Midnight Warrior ]

Originally posted by 76mm:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />I think there was a quote from an Iraqi tank battalion commander in GW1 who said something like "We went into Kuwait with 30 tanks. After six weeks of air attacks we had 25 tanks. After five minutes against the M-1 Abrams I had no tanks."

This is exactly my concern. Doesn't sound that fun. Yeah, you can set up the victory conditions to make any scenario challenging, but it sure helps if there is a real fight to start with.

I'm sure I'll buy this, but not sure how much I'll like it... </font>

Excellent set of questions

these questions and this level of technical detail are what I am looking forward to!

I like this one the best!

"Will the laser designation time be modeled so the laser has to be kept on the target for the entire time of flight of the weapon? If so can the guy with the laser be suppressed (sp?) with counter fire?"

THAT is one heckuva a good question!

(The answer could come in the form of "Don't worry about it, there are no Special Forces modeled in the first release, NO AC 130's and no laser painting of targets to worry about.")

-tom w

Originally posted by Midnight Warrior:

Bravo! Super! When can I preorder!!!

A few questions:

Will any of the modules have tactical UAV's such as a Dragon Eye?

Dragon Eye Photos

How about the bigger UAV's like hunters and predators. Do they play a role in a CM sized fight?

Will the game include ground based laser designators for CAS delivered LGB's and artillery laser guided rounds such as Copperheads and Helo launched Hellfires?

Will the laser designation time be modeled so the laser has to be kept on the target for the entire time of flight of the weapon? If so can the guy with the laser be suppressed (sp?) with counter fire?

Will CAS aircraft also carry JDAMs, Maverick Missiles? Will there be just A-10's or also F-16's for CAS. Will they be able to use employ their Gatlin guns?

What about AC-130's. Will they be included for CAS?

edit: corrected a couple of typos

Oh, one more question on CAS.

Will cluster munitions that have indididual bomblettes such as WCMD and DPICM be included? If so will each bomblette be modeled (both graphically and its weapons effects) or will the bomblette graphics & effects be abstracted?

Also, will CAS include Hydra rockets. If so what type of warheads, will they include flachettes.

Will the CM:SF engine account for different effects of different shell natures, especially against buildings.

E.g. a HEAT warhead will go though a fairly solid wall, but won't make much of a hole. HESH, on the other hand, will make a flaming huge hole, but may be stopped by substantial enough structure.

Futhermore, you can, given patience and ammo, chew through a thick wall using nothing bigger than a .50cal - will we see this and more that are covered in US Army Field Manual (FM) 3-06.11?

Will we see the effect of sensitive vs. insensitive munitions?

Will the armour data be accurate or fudged? Considering much of that sort of data is classified in some way or other.