General discussion about CM:SF

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have we any Syrian CMer's on the forum? I hope they don't mind BFC's forthcoming invasion erm *cough* liberation
Once they hear the rest of the backstory they'll not mind at all :D The current Assad government has its fair share of issues, but it's far from the worst scenario for the Syrian people. We're modeling the wrost scenario :D

Steve

This is a step in the right direction. I'm happy to see the first true CM sequel be modern day warfare.

A couple of questions:

1) Will there be snipers? Not talking dedicated sharpshooters, but actual entrenched snipers who are a real danger on the field. If so, how abstracted will they be?

2) I noticed you say you can play Blue on Blue, can you play Red on Red?

So we can assume that it will be focused on urban ops? Also to what extent does you guys have to CYA? Was the choice to have a more complexr political situation than "Yeah, we invade Syria" a purely story based choice or was it to not piss anyone off. I remember the DPRK getting a bug up its collective ass about the new ghost recon game.

[ October 08, 2005, 12:00 PM: Message edited by: Dillweed ]

Quick follow ups...

Snipers, be they solo or in teams, are accurately portrayed. No abstractions like in CMx1.

Red on Red should be possible, yes. Probably a lot of fun too.

Suicide bombers are possible. IEDs for sure. IED counter measures are also planned.

MOUT warfare is indeed a central part of CM:SF, though there will be plenty of non-MOUT type scenarios in the Campaign. Remember there is a lot of variation on the type of urban environments. They can range from a small, but dense, town to something like the modern section of a large city. Mission type and forces radically affect the nature of combat and therefore the tactical challenges. We'll probably cut off building heights to 6 stories. From a tactical simulation standpoint more than that seems to be unnecessary as well as uncommon.

Steve

MD, as discussed before the main release determins the setting for follow up modules. Meaning, Syria setting only and not anything else. Also as disucussed before, no modding as you describe it. There might be a Module with Canadian forces in it participating in the CM:SF setting. Personally I'd like this so I can hopefully score an Arid CADPAT set "for research purposes" :D

Point of view is limited on in Campaigns. Scenarios and Quick Battles are playable from either/both sides. The reason to limit Campaigns to one side is to optimize the challenges for one side. Unbalanced scenarios can be the absolute best for one side and as exciting as watching paint dry for the other side. By going single side we only have to concern ourselves with one side's excitement level. This is a common thing for campaigns in other games for this very same reason.

Steve

wow..beautiful...you can almost hear the sound of the infantry..clunking across the desert..cant wait for this to come out..

100% i think you guys are doing the right move..

it'll sell like hot cakes.. ..contempory enough to get the mass market...throw the bait and reel em in..lol

excellant stuff lads..well done

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

MD, as discussed before the main release determins the setting for follow up modules. Meaning, Syria setting only and not anything else. Also as disucussed before, no modding as you describe it. There might be a Module with Canadian forces in it participating in the CM:SF setting. Personally I'd like this so I can hopefully score an Arid CADPAT set "for research purposes" :D

I'll see what I can do re: Arid CADPAT now that I am working in clothing stores...don't hold your breath, though!

And - what about the codpieces?

Hmm - just noticed that the shadows are real shadows; must be that dynamic lighting thing happening...nice touch...

MD, how do you know this is a fictional setting? :D What you saw me reacting against was rewriting of history (i.e. a Cold War that never happened) or future scenarios that have about as much chance of happening as I have of being the Queen of England :D It is no accident that we picked this setting rather than inventing a country (like Full Spectrum Warrior) or a pure fantasy scenario (BF2). What we chose is entirely possible and therefore about as real as can be without actually having it happen.

In that light, the OPFOR is based on forces that exist today, or are very likely to exist by the time 2007 comes along. We are not taking creative license to invent things that aren't likely to happen. That is the big difference in what we are doing vs. some of the ideas that have been floated on this Forum (France vs. Germany for example).

Steve