ROW V

Originally posted by CombinedArms:

Meanwhile, Woo Hoo. My fifth straight ROW tourney. We should form a club of the five time players (how many of us are there?)

According to my roster sheet I show 7:

Tabpub

Vadr

a1steaks

Mick OZ

mPisi

Combined arms

The Capt

6 with 3 ROWs under their belt

7 with 2

16 with 1

the remaining 30 have never experienced what its like to play with all you cut throats.

I may have to put them in 'easy' sections so as to give them at least a decent chance at making it to the finals.

Perhaps the sections with Walpurgis Nacht and Kanonier Reichmann...

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, I'm not putting anyone anywhere. Cpl Carrot has added a neat organizer feature that randomly places the players into 6-man sections. I will tweak it a little to ensure we have good balance in each section, but for the most part what the program spits out is what you get.

BTW, we are at 70 players. I need 72 + at least 10 reserves. Otherwise, we are looking at a 54 player (3 groups of 3 6-man sections) tourney with the remaining in reserves.

Originally posted by Kingfish:

Actually, I'm not putting anyone anywhere. Cpl Carrot has added a neat organizer feature that randomly places the players into 6-man sections. I will tweak it a little to ensure we have good balance in each section, but for the most part what the program spits out is what you get.

BTW, we are at 70 players. I need 72 + at least 10 reserves. Otherwise, we are looking at a 54 player (3 groups of 3 6-man sections) tourney with the remaining in reserves.

It's been more almost three days since the signups started and there are still places left. I thought that all the places would be taken up on the first day.

the remaining 30 have never experienced what its like to play with all you cut throats.

I may have to put them in 'easy' sections so as to give them at least a decent chance at making it to the finals.

Based on my performance in the first round of the most recent ROW tournament you're not bleedin' far off the mark. Got my ass absolutely handed to me in South of Vevindi & performed poorly in Frontier Firefight & Champenoise. Not exactly a glowing resume.

redface.gif

Regards

Jim R.

Malakovski,

Considering the rig I have is a Gen One Bondi Blue 233 MHz iMac and that the rental unit for ROW IV

was a 400 MHz G4 tower, I'd have to rate the potential unit (nature of offer uncertain) as a veritable rocket ship by comparison.

Dawg Bonz,

(Scratches head and tries to remember the Pope's line in "The Agony and the Ecstasy." Rex Harrison play the Pope, and Charlton Heston is Michelangelo.

Something to do with progress of the work!)

The limiting factor isn't CPU speed, but sheer VRAM inadequacy. Have a whole 2 MB and no room for more!

Have heard tales of miniaturized B&W CMBB/CMAK with 4 MB, but 8 MB constitutes real VRAM minimum requirement.

Regards,

John Kettler

Originally posted by TedR:

Before the RoW there was the Not-So-Superbowl.

I believe it was the first organized tourny on the forum.

Seeing that the anniversary is coming up next week I was wondering if anyone remembers that tournament?

I'm fairly certain the first ROW was before Ted Quincy's "Not-So-Super-Bowl". I remember the NSSB well. I followed the tourney threads. The participants seemed to be having a great deal of fun, and everybody got to play, even if they were reserves. It was a quite well thought out format.

Treeburst155 out.

Originally posted by John Kettler:

(Scratches head and tries to remember the Pope's line in "The Agony and the Ecstasy." Rex Harrison play the Pope, and Charlton Heston is Michelangelo.

Something to do with progress of the work!)

Can't have you scratching your head all day;

"When will you make an end of it, Bonuratti?"

Originally posted by Treeburst155:

I wanna play the top dogs with their split squads! I want to observe the master CM competitors first hand. Besides that, I'm a glutton for punishment. If I can't play the big boys, give me Grog Dorosh. Him I can beat. :D

Treeburst155 out.

I would like to also be on the same group as Treeburst155 and Gror Dorosh :D I would like to get my butt kicked by them tongue.gif or the other way around :D

John

That's cruel and inhumane punishment. tongue.gif

Actually, I'd rather welcome another lesson from Walpurgis. As for Her Reichmann, would like to play him again, but I'm concerned that CM-X2 would come out before the games are complete, thus making it impossible to focus on finishing. :D

Malakovski,

I'd have to rate the potential unit (nature of offer uncertain) as a veritable rocket ship by comparison.

First question is where are you located? We've had one offer from Boston. I'm in SC and would be glad to loan out a machine if I get one in the time frame. No guarantees, but I do tech work, so I come by old computers frequently. Sometimes people just give them to me when they buy a new system. I usually fix them up a little, add memory, and bestow them where needed.

If wine can be imported from South Africa for the prizes, surely a computer can be scrounged up for an ROW veteran...

I thought the Invitational Tourney was the first big CM tournament event before ROW. If there was something earlier, I missed it.

Regards,

John Kettler

Yes, the Invitational was before the first ROW; but I try not to think about that one. It was...less than successful. :D

Treeburst155 out.

Originally posted by WineCape:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by CombinedArms:

Meanwhile, Woo Hoo. My fifth straight ROW tourney. We should form a club of the five time players (how many of us are there?)

I'm toying with the idea that those players that played all 5 RoW tourneys should be rewarded somehow ... ;)

Sincerely,

Charl Theron

logo.gif

-----------------------------------------------------

Co-creator & Sponsor of the following Combat Mission tournaments:

</font>

Wine donations send to the following for contributions to Combat Mission:

</font>

</font>

Originally posted by dangerousdave:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Kingfish:

That's cruel and inhumane punishment. tongue.gif

Actually, I'd rather welcome another lesson from Walpurgis. As for Her Reichmann, would like to play him again, but I'm concerned that CM-X2 would come out before the games are complete, thus making it impossible to focus on finishing. :D </font>

Combined Arms,

I have changed my mind about using halfsquads due to support from the highest levels regarding my initial position on the tactic (gamey). See my sig. I MAY however fight fire with fire, should I run into the tactic in the finals. :D If I get as far as the finals, my will to win may overcome my dislike for gamey play. That is, if I am up against that sort of thing. I will never be the first to use questionable tactics in a game.

Treeburst155 out.

Treeburst155 out.

Originally posted by the_enigma:

so when it all gets underway, will all info, questions etc be posted in this forum or another one?

Good Question.

The tourney goes into full lockdown mode the moment the first files go out. I will announce it here as a reminder. What this means is that no one will be allowed to discuss anything about the scenarios or game results with anyone else, even those outside of the tournament.

Keep this one thought in mind at all times - if you leak info, even accidently, it may give another player an advantage which they normally wouldn't have, and it may end up costing you a chance at the finals because they ended up scoring higher.

If you have a specific question you can e-mail me directly. I monitor my e-mail from work, so I can get you an answer usually within a couple of hours.