ROW V

While I think of it, on the subject of half squads, it's pretty clear that the designers of the Combat Mission series didn't intend the game to be (ab)used with each capable squad being automatically broken up into a half squad at game commencement. If they did then I'm sure they would have chosen the half squad as the basic infantry sized unit. With this in mind I intend to hopefully come to some agreement with whoever my opponents are that there be no excessive splitting up of squads into half squads with probably a 50% of the force being the rough upper limit. Obviously it's hard to police but I think it would be clear during the game whether such splitting is being abused or not.

Naturally, if an opponent feels this will cramp his/her style too much then at least I know where I stand and will adjust my tactics accordingly. I'm hoping it wont come to that however as it becomes tedious to the point of boredom having to micro-manage twice as many infantry units than the game designers originally intended. I think BFC's stated position on this is pretty clear in terms of their intention so I'm going with that. Absolutely no problem with splitting squads for scouting purposes or localised deception purposes but wholesale splitting is simply...dare I say it....for losers (in a holistic sense).

Regards

Jim R.

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wholesale splitting is simply...dare I say it....for losers (in a holistic sense).
FWIW, I agree. Again falling back on the real-world (1980s) scenario; it's much easier to manage and control the squad if they're all in the same space. There are times when it makes good sense to split the squad, and other times when it makes good sense to keep it all together.

...and please Mr. Kingfish, I do not want to be in KR's section first round. I'm skeered! :D

Originally posted by Treeburst155:

Mr. Kingfish,

For the good of the tournament, I think I should be sectioned with Walpurgis Nacht. I had a list of reasons why this would be beneficial to the tourney; but, I lost it. So, just take my word for it and put me in Walpurgis Nacht's section. Please. Thank you.

Note: This is not a request for special treatment. I realize you can't do this type of thing for everyone. So, consider it a request for special MIS-treatment, something nobody else wants. :D

Treeburst155 out.

You are already, but don't thank me, thank Cpl Carrot's program. When it came time to divide the players into random 6-man sections, you and WN ended up in the same section.

OK, I need 2 things ASAP

1) Someone who will loan John Kettler a CM capable Mac for the duration of ROW V. I know there have been several posts pertaining to this, but I need something concrete to go on

2) At least 4 more people to signup. I have enough players right now to create 11 sections, with 11 reserves. I can do 12 sections with what I have, but that leaves me only 5, and past experience has shown that we go thru reserves faster than the German army in Russia.

about the splitting the troops, ive hardly ever split my troops up in games ive played, but i can see the advantage.

You have your supressing and assault squad.

One supresses the enemy squad while the other moves to attack/kill.

For example the other year i read an account which stated something along the lines of a british squad would spilt into a 3-4 man bren gun team and moved off to the flank and give support/supressing fire while the rifle section attacked (mybe a got that a bit wrong but you see the idea am driving at)

So if the player of a scenario, decided he needed to do the above, supress and attack with the same squad at the same time i cant see this being

for losers
smile.gif

as this is what was done in RL

and past experience has shown that we go thru reserves faster than the German army in Russia
damm :eek: lol

also a question, the 'The Playoffs'in the Tournament Manual is a bit confussing for me sorry.

So everyone if put into lil league tables - the sections, the top few go thru to the 'playoffs' ... then this round robin things :confused: , anyone carify(sp?) this for me?

So the one who beets the other from his 'tourney' wins the wine. So there are 3+ overall winners :confused: ... isnt there a 'finals' were there is 1 player crowned winner? :confused:

sorry if it seems stight forward to any of you put its all a lil 'hazy' for me atm :(

[ February 03, 2005, 04:45 AM: Message edited by: the_enigma ]

72 players divided into 3 groups, each consisting of 4 6-man sections. Those 72 play 5 scenarios in the regular season. The one who scores highest in his section then becomes a finalist. 12 finalists are chosen, 1 from each section. Those 12 are again placed into sections, only this time it consists of 3 groups of 4 men each. They play 3 finals scenarios. The one who scored the highest in his group is then crowned the winner, so there will be 3 winners.

...and $20 US will be sent to the highest scoring of the three winners so he can get some cheese to go with his wine.

Cpl Carrot's program put me with Walpurgis Nacht?! Hehe....excellent!

On the shortage of reserves, I will try to recruit a few people for the reserve list. If several of us do that on an ongoing basis, even after the tourney is underway, maybe we can stay ahead of the dropout rate.

Winecape,

After I win this tourney I would like my white wines to come from grapes blessed with Noble Rot, even the dryer whites. The complexity added by Botrytis Cinerea I really enjoy. smile.gif

I'm getting a little culture, you see. Gone are the days of guzzling Budweiser, except when I'm taking a turn in my Walpurgis Nacht game. Combat with him will definitely require large quantities of Bud.

Treeburst155 out.

Allright, this also affects the grouping.

I think I should address this publically instead of complaing later.

I would highly prefer only to play people who

</font>

• don't have to zip their turns due to broken mailers</font>
  • don't mess with their mailers, who just send plain text attachments
    like it is the default for CM and any non-broken mailer, who don't come up with fantasy mime-types. Don't worry if you just plain mail this with any standard up-to-date mailer, including web mailers, you are fine</font>
  • use a standard numbering scheme, that means just redwolf-foobar-001.txt redwolf-foobar-002.txt redwolf-foobar-003.txt and no fancy letter sub-numbering and whatnot in the filenames. Just increase the number and be done with it.</font>
  • have their clocks set right, including timezone, so that their turns sort correctly with mine</font>

I would kindly request that either these are made the default modes of operation for this tourney or that I am put into a section where all people agree on this.

The reason why I get pushy about it is that I had big trouble in RoWIII where almost all my opponents would violate one or more of these and mess up my turn management system (yes I have such a thing and need it because I sometimes have few time in the evening). Not entirely surprising, these opponents also turned out to be slow. I had to drop out of the tourney around the time of the original deadline (the deadline was extended, but my period of having enough time was over).

In RoWIV I had no such problems with my opponents and it was a much better experience.

Originally posted by Redwolf:

Allright, this also affects the grouping.

I think I should address this publically instead of complaing later.

I would highly prefer only to play people who

</font>

• don't have to zip their turns due to broken mailers</font>
  • don't mess with their mailers, who just send plain text attachments
    like it is the default for CM and any non-broken mailer, who don't come up with fantasy mime-types. Don't worry if you just plain mail this with any standard up-to-date mailer, including web mailers, you are fine</font>
  • use a standard numbering scheme, that means just redwolf-foobar-001.txt redwolf-foobar-002.txt redwolf-foobar-003.txt and no fancy letter sub-numbering and whatnot in the filenames. Just increase the number and be done with it.</font>
  • have their clocks set right, including timezone, so that their turns sort correctly with mine</font>

:eek: Don't get me wrong, I'm about as much a control freak-OCD guy as it gets. But you sir, must iron your socks and lay them next to your bed right before sleepy time. :D

Redwolf,

I use Windows XP with the integrated Outlook Express. I stay updated. The only problem I seem to have with any regularity is that of the attached CM text file showing up in the body of the email with some senders. This only becomes a hassle with very large files (everything slows down drastically). By having them zip the files, the problem is solved.

Sure, unzipping is a bit of a hassle; but it isn't THAT bad, is it? smile.gif

As for turn numbering, correct clocks/dates/time zones, I agree. These are simple things that should be done to make turn processing more efficient.

Treeburst155 out.

Originally posted by Walpurgis Nacht:

:eek: Don't get me wrong, I'm about as much a control freak-OCD guy as it gets. But you sir, must iron your socks and lay them next to your bed right before sleepy time. :D

I don't iron anything, although I admit I wear socks :cool:

The above list might sound impressive but it is nothing special at all.

Everything I list is that way already unless somebody actively breaks anything, chooses some exotic broken mailer, insist on an Outlook version from 5 years ago or invents his own cute numbering scheme.

As long as people have any kind of normal up-to-date Windows or Mac setup or use a good Webmail all is well.

Originally posted by Walpurgis Nacht:

... But I bet he wouldn't run countless tests for which iron works best, optimal placement of the iron, and whether two half-irons are better than one.

:D

Originally posted by Flenser:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> :eek: Don't get me wrong, I'm about as much a control freak-OCD guy as it gets. But you sir, must iron your socks and lay them next to your bed right before sleepy time. :D

... But I bet he wouldn't run countless tests for which iron works best, optimal placement of the iron, and whether two half-irons are better than one.

:D </font>

Originally posted by Kingfish:

OK, I need 2 things ASAP

[snip]

2) At least 4 more people to signup. I have enough players right now to create 11 sections, with 11 reserves. I can do 12 sections with what I have, but that leaves me only 5, and past experience has shown that we go thru reserves faster than the German army in Russia.

I think if you add to the thread title (or indicate in a new thread) that you're looking for a few players to be reserves, you will get them in no time. Lots of people may be assuming that the tourney is already closed by now and they're not going to wade to page nine in order to find out there are still a few openings. But...let people know and they will come.

;)