It ain't just scenarios folks--CMAK Screenies at Boots and Tracks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WWB

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pheasant Plucker :

I'm not sure about the towering mountains in the background though, was there such huge mountains around in the desert?
Yep in Tunisia.

-------------------------------------

The Matildas II weren´t there, though.

BTW, A little test:

How many tanks can you see in "Fun in the sun..."?

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

Dust is like anything else... someone has to spot it to notice it.

A) W00T!

B) I could have sworn that I had read something along the lines that all of the LOS calculations for that would be required for this would bring the target computer to it's knees. I'll be damned if I can find it now.

C) Way cool!

Originally posted by Pheasant Plucker:

Yes! That rocky desert is much better than the other sand dune type terrain.

[Edit] I'm not sure about the towering mountains in the background though, was there such huge mountains around in the desert?

Actually the rocky desert does not replace the "sand dune type terrain", but is a different group type altogether. All of the terrain types you see in the B&T screens are in the game: dirt (grass), arid rocks and sand.

Dirt also comes in two variations, let's call them dry and green for lack of a better term. You can choose the ground type independent of the theater. Of course this also affects how, when and how much dust is created atc. And each of those types can be further modified to be (for example) dry, wet, muddy, or covered with snow (in Italy) and so on.

The Mediterranean terrain is so varied that this was a must to code, and I think bigger variety isn't a bad thing smile.gif

Martin

Great, thanks for the explanation smile.gif From the pictures I've seen of the Desert War rocky arid terrain seems to be much more prevalant than sand dunes. I suppose deep sand would be impassable for most transport anyway hence they avoided the Sand Seas. Another question if you don't mind, will we be able to have the rocky arid type terrain as a default in the QB generator rather than the sand terrain?

Re: the mountains, many thanks for the prompt on Tunisia. However AFAIK in Cyrenaica and Egypt where the fighting took place until 1943 there were no mountains, just escarpments which I assume would be a flat topped cliff. I was hoping to see empty horizons, but what the heck, they could be modded.

Re: the mountains, many thanks for the prompt on Tunisia. However AFAIK in Cyrenaica and Egypt where the fighting took place until 1943 there were no mountains, just escarpments which I assume would be a flat topped cliff. I was hoping to see empty horizons, but what the heck, they could be modded.

There was the occasional hill or ridge, but I don't think they were normally as high or steep as in the piccy.

There was the Jebel al Akdar in Cyrenaica, which was both hilly and green (I think the name means "Green Hill"), but though creased with wadis, I don't have the impression was especially high or steep. Hard to say without detailed maps and photographs, and I don't have either. In any event, they were rugged enough that the armies largely avoided them except where the roads ran through. Only the LRDG and similar groups entered with any regularity, and for various reasons they weren't taking a lot of photos.

Michael

Originally posted by Andreas:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Bogdan:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Andreas:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Bogdan:

Is it possible to know now the price of the game ?

Yes. </font>

Eeeeew! The latest 'Sherman stalking Fritzes' pic is worse. Massive mountains and plain sand all around, plus the sky seems grainy.

What part of North Africa is this supposed to be?

Skies are grainy due to jpeg compression. I choose crisp tanks over crisp skies.

Trust me, they aint grainy in the game. And I would remind people that the mountains seem alot more prominent because of the low angles of many of these shots. In reality they are far less overpowering (though fecking awsome looking I must say).

WWB

Originally posted by William amos:

Hmmm in this pic cant make out what that is in background ?

Doesnt seem to be dust trails and if its smoke is layed out in a line.

Thought originally it was a dust storm.

mmm... a destroyed supply dump or supply lorry possibly ...intriguing