It ain't just scenarios folks--CMAK Screenies at Boots and Tracks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WWB

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

A dude in an Army uniform and a blue helmet ain't a Fallschirmjäger!

It's a Fallschirmjäger in Crete, so he wears a grey-green jump smock (in a lighter shade than the feldgrau used by the army), a blue-grey Fallshirmjäger helmet and feldgrau pants. The final version carries a gas mask bag instead of the gas mask canister and Y-straps with no D-rings.

[ September 12, 2003, 08:43 PM: Message edited by: Fernando ]

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Tweety:

Airborne troops with Kangaroos? How Gamey! smile.gif

ps

I knew if I kept on clicking on the link it would start to work for me sooner then later.

Ugh, I thought I had this conversation with rune about what a Kangaroo was, and that Stuart Recce vehicles had Five-Oh machineguns?

Glad someone else felt the need to comment that those Commonwealth riflemen are really Paras! Nice Denisons, too.

Originally posted by Fernando:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

A dude in an Army uniform and a blue helmet ain't a Fallschirmjäger!

It's a Fallschirmjäger in Crete, so he wears a grey-green jump smock (in a lighter shade than the feldgrau used by the army), a blue-grey Fallshirmjäger helmet and feldgrau pants. The final version carries a gas mask bag instead of the gas mask canister and Y-straps with no D-rings. </font>

Originally posted by Richie:

I'm still telling ya'll kangaroos are bloody delicious... well done with a pepper sauce... Hmmmmmmmm tongue.gif

Never tried 'roo before.

Squirrels can be pretty tasty, provided they're prepared by someone with good culinary skills.

And they're especially good if you're not the one preparing them.

Er...what were we talking about before this...?

Originally posted by Vader's Jester:

Uh, recycled skies. :rolleyes: CM's low res skies are an eye-sore from hell!!

The crystal-clear high-res skies modded for CMBO have yet to be matched.

Actually the reason they are low res are because people requested the skies show sunset and sunrise and not be mirrored around the map. This requires 3 seperate textures to mirror with each other, but in turn they have to be lower res in order to run reasonably on everybodies systems. This is why no one ever modded the CMBB skies though...they are damn hard to get right.

It would be oh so easy for us to make everything super huge resolution and Im sure the result would look great, but if we did make everything equivalant to the mods out there there the game would be lucky to run on 128mb+ cards. Skies are, out of all the textures, the most system intensive to make larger due to their size already as video cards are much better at manipulating smaller textures than they are very large ones. This is why we tend to be more conseritive with our textures sizes....if people want to make out their VRAM themselves that is their choice smile.gif

That being said if you actually take a look at the screen shots though you will notice that they all have been updated and the clear and cloudy skies being totally new, not recycled as you suggested.

Dan

[ September 16, 2003, 01:37 AM: Message edited by: KwazyDog ]

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I find the CMAK screenshots a crashing bore. There really isn't much new here; it was a treat when CMBO first came out, to see some of the Commonwealth kit since few games have the stuff, and CMBB still had some nice German armour and doodads and stuff to fire the imagination. (Tall wheat fields, fire effects, etc.)

But a few guys in Brit uniforms walking over a prairie with a little house on it...ain't doing much for me.

I do like the Mk II helmets with actual brims. But there are really no surprises as far as terrain goes. Some of Madmatt's screenies of the large buildings with the nice Mediterranean paint jobs were a little interesting. Other than that, the only thing to get excited about are the dust clouds and the dazzle cam on the Brit tanks.

That wore off fast. ;)

CM has always dazzled with the gameplay, not the graphics. I'd rather read about new features than see slightly tweaked 3D models rehashed in the same boring poses.

I noted in one of Moon's interviews that the increased terrain elevations (now up to 160 metres) is not due to additional levels, but due to an 8m interval being added.

That would be great if you could combine intervals on the same map, but to have 8m as the minimum elevation change across the map? I wonder what that looks like.

Can we not get a screenshot of that?

[ September 16, 2003, 01:39 AM: Message edited by: Michael Dorosh ]

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I find the CMAK screenshots a crashing bore.

BLASPHEMER tongue.gif

Come on guy, I can't believe you're saying it either. :( Too many bones for you Michael and not enough ball? Yeah sure, I wanna play ball too but we want it too be right don't we? ;) You've always gotta sit through some previews at the pictures before the movie starts :D

Pop out to the sweet shop, get yourself another choc coated-rock hard icecream, some pop corn and some jaffas, and a nice BIG fizzy sticky drink. The main feature will be starting before you know it...

[ September 16, 2003, 11:10 AM: Message edited by: Richie ]

Originally posted by Richie:

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I find the CMAK screenshots a crashing bore.

BLASPHEMER tongue.gif

Come on guy, I can't believe you're saying it either. :( Too many bones for you Michael and not enough ball? Yeah sure, I wanna play ball too but we want it too be right don't we? ;) You've always gotta sit through some previews at the pictures before the movie starts :D

Pop out to the sweet shop, get yourself another choc coated-rock hard icecream, some pop corn and some jaffas, and a nice BIG fizzy sticky drink. The main feature will be starting before you know it... </font>

You mean the forested mountains in behind that desert? ;)

Hmmm, you're right. At first I wasn't looking too closely and thought they were just rugged, stony mountains, which would have been appropriate. But now that you mention it—although in the dim light it's hard to be certain—those do look like trees and other greenery.

Michael

I suspect some of these screenshots aren't going to include completed artwork? A dude in an Army uniform and a blue helmet ain't a Fallschirmjäger!

Are you sure that he's not supposed to be wearing an early gray-green jump smock? That's what I assumed, but then what do I know... ;)

Originally posted by AndrewTF:

I suspect some of these screenshots aren't going to include completed artwork? A dude in an Army uniform and a blue helmet ain't a Fallschirmjäger!

Are you sure that he's not supposed to be wearing an early gray-green jump smock? That's what I assumed, but then what do I know... ;) </font>

Originally posted by KwazyDog:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Vader's Jester:

Uh, recycled skies. :rolleyes: CM's low res skies are an eye-sore from hell!!

The crystal-clear high-res skies modded for CMBO have yet to be matched.

Actually the reason they are low res are because people requested the skies show sunset and sunrise and not be mirrored around the map. This requires 3 seperate textures to mirror with each other, but in turn they have to be lower res in order to run reasonably on everybodies systems. This is why no one ever modded the CMBB skies though...they are damn hard to get right.

It would be oh so easy for us to make everything super huge resolution and Im sure the result would look great, but if we did make everything equivalant to the mods out there there the game would be lucky to run on 128mb+ cards. Skies are, out of all the textures, the most system intensive to make larger due to their size already as video cards are much better at manipulating smaller textures than they are very large ones. This is why we tend to be more conseritive with our textures sizes....if people want to make out their VRAM themselves that is their choice smile.gif

That being said if you actually take a look at the screen shots though you will notice that they all have been updated and the clear and cloudy skies being totally new, not recycled as you suggested.

Dan </font>