It ain't just scenarios folks--CMAK Screenies at Boots and Tracks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WWB

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rumors of my demise are unfounded. No arrests, a few drunken incidents, but otherwise uneventful last few days, save not being able to get home and take care of the screenies.

In any case, new screenies are up, and I backdated so you get 5, yup, count em, 5 new ones today. Sorry for the delay folks.

WWB

Well, we've seen the AA HTs, how about the British AA tanks.

According to the TO&Es published in George Forty's "Handbook for the British Army", these were as common, if not more so than CS tanks.

Give me that sweet high volume ground fire corruption.

Plus the ability to have a go at some Axis aircraft - IIRC, some AA tanks mounted twin 40mm Bofors :eek:

Originally posted by flamingknives:

Well, we've seen the AA HTs, how about the British AA tanks.

According to the TO&Es published in George Forty's "Handbook for the British Army", these were as common, if not more so than CS tanks.

Give me that sweet high volume ground fire corruption.

Plus the ability to have a go at some Axis aircraft - IIRC, some AA tanks mounted twin 40mm Bofors :eek:

Were British AA vehicles really that commonly used in the ground role? I only see reference to them in Canadian formations in the AA troop of armoured recce regiments; the LAA regiments of infantry divisions used towed 20mms, and these were apparently phased out in August (?) 1944...

The source I have is George Forty's "British Army Handbook"

In various TO&Es of Armoured Regts., from May 1942 there are between 4 and 8 AA tanks.

The only specific AA tanks mentioned in the book are those based on the Crusader chassis. The only one pictured mounts a single Bofors.

Googling the term indicates that most were equipped with twin 20mm and few served beyond D-Day.

Seeing the ground based 20mm (polsten and Oerliken) would be nice too.

[ October 17, 2003, 06:53 PM: Message edited by: flamingknives ]

Originally posted by flamingknives:

The source I have is George Forty's "British Army Handbook"

In various TO&Es of Armoured Regts., from May 1942 there are between 4 and 8 AA tanks.

The only specific AA tanks mentioned in the book are those based on the Crusader chassis. The only one pictured mounts a single Bofors.

Googling the term indicates that most were equipped with twin 20mm and few served beyond D-Day.

Seeing the ground based 20mm (polsten and Oerliken) would be nice too.

The major point here being they were only used in armoured regiments, and I would suspect as such, primarily in the AA role, rather than in a ground support role...unless you have info indicating otherwise?

• 3 weeks later...