What's new with the Forum???

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, this light background has got to go. I also noticed that you can't do searches by user name. You've got to use the "Member Number" I could do without that. Cool instant UBB stuff. Also it would be nice if your member number was available in the edit profile screen. No spell check???

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Michael emrys:

Don't feel too bad about the clock, Steve. At least yours seems to gain time in a consistent manner. I have to set the clock on my computer every time I log on to the internet. Sometimes it's fast; sometimes it's slow; sometimes it's on time. Sometimes it's off by a little, sometimes by a lot. You'd think they would put a decent clock in a computer that's already going for nearly $3,000 wouldn't you? :confused:

Michael

[ 04-07-2001: Message edited by: Michael emrys ]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That sounds like big time shifts.

The time slides on the servers I administer at work too, but that's because the CPU is too busy to update the clocks consistently, and thus the clock "loses" time, a few minutes per week.

You can get timeserver utilities on the 'net to reset your clock 1/week or whatever...

Pat.

Hi there!

Yes, the colors are DEFINITELY going to be redone. This is the default, and it is uuuuuugly smile.gif

I don't know if I can hack out that refresh line easily. If it is iscolated it should be fairly easy to do. I'll take a look into that in a bit. I think they added it because some people complained about not seeing their posts. Basically, they didn't know to do a forced refresh and instead complained that the UBB scripts were to blame. I know we have had a decent number do this so I can only imagine what they have received in terms of feedback :eek:

As for the pros/cons... trust me, I'm with you. A few steps forward, a couple back. But I think we will just have to get used to it as a whole. Major change always comes with an adjustment period.

Steve

Yes, the number looks interesting. Do they represent the real number of members of the board, 5000+ something, in the order they "joined"?

The figures must have been “hidden” in the system all this time I guess..

M.

[ 04-08-2001: Message edited by: Mattias ]

The new look is....new. I rarely use smileys so being able to use them instantly is no big plus. Nice feature though. The instant UBB code is nice, the lack of spell check is no big deal, as if I have a rare long post I usually check it in Word first.

The feature marking users as good or evil through the assignment of odd or even user numbers is nice. Saves a lot of guess work.

The flood control feature is wierd. Must save some headaches I bet.

Can you link to the new board from the old one?

Yes, the member number is absolute and not relative. If you are #1 you were the first to join up. Why is the BTS loggin not #1? IIRC there was some problem at the beginning of time and we had to redo our account.

I think InfoPop (makers of UBB) are taking a LOT of flak over the member # search thing. I have no idea why the eliminated the far better username system, but they did. It isn't an option we can change.

As for the Spell Checker... I dunno what is up with that. I am sure it is supposed to be working, so I'll look into it.

Steve

Official word from InfoPop about the spell checker:

"The SpellChecker.net folks are planning to drop ad based SpellChecker which means we would have to charge additional monies to include it. We are currently examining other options so that we can include some form of spell check back in the UBB as soon as possible."

Darn :(

Steve

Ack. :eek: :eek: :eek: I come home from a field excersice only to sit down in front of my computer to look at the forums (webbing still on) only to find a new horrid interface. :rolleyes::rolleyes: fubar

I'm gonna go take a shower......and tape up my thumb...stupid mod tents..... Michael, you can understand me right? God bless a-frames.

[ 04-08-2001: Message edited by: Shadow 1st Hussars ]