Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Big announcement... Battlefront is now Slitherine

Been here a long time too, my original forum member number was 167 IIRC.  Congratulations, I hope it has set you guys up for the future.

Just to add to the chorus, WEGO and replay are must have features  ;)

Cheers

I am wondering if you will also be using AI based LLMs either to code, help players learn and apply the rules and such, or even be used by your own AI or the game engine, say to enhance the chrome or help build maps and such.

One other thought on this is that Slitherine might hire an AI guy to help incorporate AI in all their games and not just CM. For AI is here to stay and the first kid on the block to smartly employ it in wargames might get a bump in market share over the wargame developers that are stuck in the previous paradigm and slow to get on bard the new one.

6 hours ago, RLW said:

One other thought on this is that Slitherine might hire an AI guy to help incorporate AI in all their games and not just CM. For AI is here to stay and the first kid on the block to smartly employ it in wargames might get a bump in market share over the wargame developers that are stuck in the previous paradigm and slow to get on bard the new one.

Hmm, we don't want to give our robot overlords too many ideas. "Shall we play a game"

4 hours ago, Aragorn2002 said:

Slitherine, if you've got any money left, please buy Command Operations 2 from Lock 'n Load and get it going again. 🙂

They distributed it at one time before LnL.  I'm not sure LnL is the problem.  Its built by a one-man shop is dependent on his health.

Congratulations BFC on wonderful and happy union! A perfect couple methinks, if ever I did see.

I have literally grown old, fat and bald playing your wonderful games and I hope the Gods grant me more time to continue.

You guys take it easier now and enjoy the fruits of your virile loins :-)

5 hours ago, Aragorn2002 said:

Slitherine, if you've got any money left, please buy Command Operations 2 from Lock 'n Load and get it going again. 🙂

I second this. Dave is great, but he's just Dave, and there's Pavel. That's pretty much it. Such a great game. They have parted ways with LnL though and are on Matrix. It's just that I don't think they have any extra resources (yet?)

Dave

Edited by Ultradave

1 hour ago, Ultradave said:

I second this. Dave is great, but he's just Dave, and there's Pavel. That's pretty much it. Such a great game. They have parted ways with LnL though and are on Matrix. It's just that I don't think they have any extra resources (yet?)

Dave

Command Ops 2 is not on Matrix, to the best of my knowledge.  When they terminated with LnL, Dave said he was distributing it solely through Steam.  He is doing support through the Steam forums and a Discord server at this time.  The LnL forum was left up for reference.

49 minutes ago, Warts 'n' all said:

Who needs AI to generate pseudo period music, when there is plenty of the real thing available? I always use period music when playing CM.

Can they really use period correct music without having to pay royalties to someone?  Is it too old for that?

On 8/28/2024 at 2:11 PM, Centurian52 said:

I've been reading a bit about the Western Desert campaign lately. I rather suspect that Rommel may have been a bit overblown. I'm seeing more incompetent British leadership than any sign of tactical brilliance on Rommel's part*. Though, even if he wasn't much of a tactical genius, Rommel was apparently something of a propaganda genius.

@Centurian52, have you seen TIK's Operation Crusader 9 hour documentary compilation:

Hi all

Back from long brake, so please forgive me if not the right place to ask this, but how do i activate the CM on the Slitherine?

According to the explanation I can register the serials with Slitherine ,but all I have are activation codes, which are not working.

What I am missing

Thank you for the help

22 minutes ago, Spinoza said:

Hi all

Back from long brake, so please forgive me if not the right place to ask this, but how do i activate the CM on the Slitherine?

According to the explanation I can register the serials with Slitherine ,but all I have are activation codes, which are not working.

What I am missing

Thank you for the help

Take a look here

5 hours ago, Probus said:

Can they really use period correct music without having to pay royalties to someone?  Is it too old for that?

Only if the recording itself is old enough.  Although some of the music may be public domain any particular playing of the music starts a whole new clock for that particular performance or recording.

Edited by Dynaman216

37 minutes ago, Dynaman216 said:

Only if the recording itself is old enough.  Although some of the music may be public domain any particular playing of the music starts a whole new clock for that particular performance or recording.

Sorry, perhaps I should've added "WW2 titles"  after "CM". Music from that time is now out of copyright. And the company I used to work for distributed loads of compilation albums that I pick tunes from when putting together my mods.

1 hour ago, Dynaman216 said:

50 years for music to become free to use.

Funny enough, early this year I saw some show that played a track off of Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon during the credits.  Pink Floyd has always carefully controlled the use of their music so I thought "I know what that means".  And I was correct.  1973 + 50 years = 2023. 

Boy, 50 years can go by very fast.  In fact, there's a song about that on said album!

Steve