CMBN Battle Pack 2 - Utah Beach is now available!!!

I've been watching this set of videos, very well done on D-Day.  For several years I've followed this channel for their 'real time' week by week WW2 series which was excellent.

5 hours ago, Centurian52 said:

There still isn't an announcement on the main page of the website just yet. Is there supposed to be? The most recent announcement on the website is still "COMBAT MISSION FINAL BLITZKRIEG V2.11 IS READY" from February 1st.

Yes. This has been done with every title since.....I don't even remember how long. That's how long we've been doing it. 

To allow the files to propagate the servers we announce in stages.

So, yes. Is it the way it's supposed to be? Yes. 

8 hours ago, danfrodo said:

I've been watching this set of videos, very well done on D-Day.  For several years I've followed this channel for their 'real time' week by week WW2 series which was excellent.

Wow! I've only watched it up to the hour mark, but they're putting out a lot of small detail stuff that I never knew about - like Hemmingway wanting to be a part of the drop. thank you for sharing!

12 hours ago, OldSarge said:

Wow! I've only watched it up to the hour mark, but they're putting out a lot of small detail stuff that I never knew about - like Hemmingway wanting to be a part of the drop. thank you for sharing!

Hi OldSarge -- how 'bout those reds, huh?  Six in a row! 

Have you watched their week-by-week coverage?  Just as good and covers the whole war, including events in china, starting Sept 1, 1939.  Every saturday they would drop new episode, still going though war in europe now over, just japan left.  Next they'll do week-by-week korean war.  They have same thing for WW1 but I haven't watched it yet.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, danfrodo said:

Hi OldSarge -- how 'bout those reds, huh?  Six in a row! 

Have you watched their week-by-week coverage?  Just as good and covers the whole war, including events in china, starting Sept 1, 1939.  Every saturday they would drop new episode, still going though war in europe now over, just japan left.  Next they'll do week-by-week korean war.  They have same thing for WW1 but I haven't watched it yet.

I'm hoping that the Reds will be able to do a complete 4 set against the Cubs and finally establish themselves in the #2 position for the Central division. Hopefully, the Brewers will enter a slump but so far they've been dominating the division.

I look forward to seeing the Korean War get more attention. If you haven't read it already, I recommend Clay Blair's "The Forgotten War: America in Korea, 1950-1953". It is about as comprehensive a book as I've seen on the subject. Well worth the read.

I'm still gawking at the BP2 master maps! This is going to be a fun BP to play around with! 😎

Edited by OldSarge

On 6/6/2024 at 11:00 PM, StieliAlpha said:

Ok, thx. I‘ll just give it a try.

We are playing PBEM++ indeed, but started only recently. So, it does not really matter anyway.

To close this:

Updated with the V4.05 patch, which worked like a charme.

And, indeed, the ongoing V4.04 games are still playable.

Posted (edited)

So I read the "patch notes" but the patch doesn't actually patch anything.

v4.05 PATCH NOTES

* Battle Pack 2 – Utah Beach content added. Purchase required. Must own the Commonwealth and Market Garden modules and the Vehicle Pack

From the BF webpage:

There is no download for this product! As long as you have an up-to-date installation you already have 100% of the files you need

The "download" which isn't a download, is apparently a "patch", which isn't actually a patch at all.

Bizarre!

Edited by The Steppenwulf

Posted (edited)

On 7/30 Neil Barber who wrote The Pegasus and Orne River Bridges book is releasing a new book on Pegasus and Orne bridges.. It seems like a very detailed book at over 400p. 

Edited by jtsjc1

22 hours ago, The Steppenwulf said:

So I read the "patch notes" but the patch doesn't actually patch anything.

From the BF webpage:

There is no download for this product! As long as you have an up-to-date installation you already have 100% of the files you need

The "download" which isn't a download, is apparently a "patch", which isn't actually a patch at all.

Bizarre!

Sorta, kinda. That was true for a couple of hours on the 6th. There were a couple of hours where the patch was uploaded to the server but the v4.05 full game installer wasn't uploaded yet. But we're thinking long term.

For instance, let's say you buy the base game today. Then in July you decide to buy Market Garden and the Commonwealth modules. Then in September you buy the Vehicle Pack. November rolls along and you decide to buy Battle Pack 2. To activate Battle Pack 2 all you'd have to do is enter your Pack key. The full game installer installed the Pack's content back in June when you first installed the game. 

Or let's say patches have been released up to v4.09. You've got the game installed and up to date and decide you want to buy Battle Pack 2. There is nothing to install. Just use the Activate New Products utility and enter the Pack's key and you're good to go.

That is what makes it not bizarre. Other than base games, this has been the way it's been done with modules and Packs for years. It is much more simple to say "as long as you have an up-to-date installation".

1 hour ago, BFCElvis said:

Sorta, kinda. That was true for a couple of hours on the 6th. There were a couple of hours where the patch was uploaded to the server but the v4.05 full game installer wasn't uploaded yet. But we're thinking long term.

For instance, let's say you buy the base game today. Then in July you decide to buy Market Garden and the Commonwealth modules. Then in September you buy the Vehicle Pack. November rolls along and you decide to buy Battle Pack 2. To activate Battle Pack 2 all you'd have to do is enter your Pack key. The full game installer installed the Pack's content back in June when you first installed the game. 

Or let's say patches have been released up to v4.09. You've got the game installed and up to date and decide you want to buy Battle Pack 2. There is nothing to install. Just use the Activate New Products utility and enter the Pack's key and you're good to go.

That is what makes it not bizarre. Other than base games, this has been the way it's been done with modules and Packs for years. It is much more simple to say "as long as you have an up-to-date installation".

For sure, I worked out why you did it this way, and I get it. Though in all truth - from the player's perspective - there's no need to bother with v4.5 if you don't want the new maps and scenarios. But I didn't realise that until I'd installed and read the "read me notes".

When all said and done, it's not a big deal.

Edited by The Steppenwulf

2 hours ago, The Steppenwulf said:

For sure, I worked out why you did it this way, and I get it. Though in all truth - from the player's perspective - there's no need to bother with v4.5 if you don't want the new maps and scenarios. But I didn't realise that until I'd installed and read the "read me notes".

I could be wrong but also having the games on Steam mixes things around a bit. Having the same game version on multiple platforms probably makes life easier for BF.

10 hours ago, Ithikial_AU said:

I could be wrong but also having the games on Steam mixes things around a bit. Having the same game version on multiple platforms probably makes life easier for BF.

Did you happen to add that TOE file?

5 minutes ago, sovietpolarbear said:

my game is crashing on the UNCLE RED mission

This rings a bell from testing, I think a few people had issues possibly depending on the hardware they had.  If I recall correctly one thing to try as a remedy was to not start the naval bombardment full on right away - @Ithikial_AU?

Oddly I didn't have a problem with it on my gaming laptop, my lucky day.

7 minutes ago, sovietpolarbear said:

I'm loving this BP

❤️.

2 hours ago, Vacillator said:

This rings a bell from testing, I think a few people had issues possibly depending on the hardware they had.  If I recall correctly one thing to try as a remedy was to not start the naval bombardment full on right away - @Ithikial_AU?

Oddly I didn't have a problem with it on my gaming laptop, my lucky day.

❤️.

That worked thank you.

@sovietpolarbear - Good to hear. Yes that mission and the H2H Monster Battle are really pushing the limit of the game similar to the monster battle provided in the CMRT battlepack. Funny, given the Uncle Red mission is even scaled down from reality! :D It's just getting over that initial processing hump you should need to worry about. Unsure of the details but I think the huge amount of fortifications on that map play a role going from deployment to battle.

I made that monster map with the fortifications first (read the dev diary) and then went back to the scenarios that appear on the map. Though it saved a lot of time not needing to place the fortifications twice, the downside is the whole map needs to be visible for the scenarios to work with the German fortifications as intended.

Excellent work !
I'm in the "We'll Start Here" campaign and I'm really enjoying it. I spent a lot of time on mission 2, having all your paratroopers scattered and disorganized in the wild was definitely a challenge. The slightest road or bush can hide an enemy. It took me a while to gather my troops to launch the assault on Hiesville. And when the game ends, I don't get the capture points because there were 7 Germans left in the village XD
After all these efforts, it's out of the question to end this way, I reload my last save 3 minutes before the end and I eliminate the last Germans. Total victory is better XD

8 minutes ago, Mik093 said:

After all these efforts, it's out of the question to end this way, I reload my last save 3 minutes before the end and I eliminate the last Germans.

No-one will blame you for that.  Hopefully 😉...

So, what does the CMBN 4.05 Patch do ?..I'm guessing it either helps with game enhancements (Frame-Rate, Shaders, etc), or it's mainly used in conjunction with BP2. 

Edited by JoMac