Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

The year to come - 2024 (Part 2)

I would be happy for them to just build a sandbox that has US units from CMFB and Russian units from CMRT able to be on opposing sides.  I would pay full price just to get that foundation.  Then modders can build scenarios and maps.

2 hours ago, Thewood1 said:

I would be happy for them to just build a sandbox that has US units from CMFB and Russian units from CMRT able to be on opposing sides.  I would pay full price just to get that foundation.  Then modders can build scenarios and maps.

Throw in the UK and Germans and that's perfect.

On 2/2/2024 at 9:08 PM, Battlefront.com said:

When will we have more to say?  I think a couple of months will do the trick.

about 6 months ago , not attacking you Steve , I'm well aware schedules and priorities change. its just a nudge

• 3 weeks later...

I think they're trying to generate enough artwork/3d models to make a presentable update. I believe that's a major bottleneck since they've only got a couple people to do that sort of work. They've got a lot of the artwork and modeling done, and it all looks fantastic. But I have no idea how much there is left to do, and I suspect they want to be pretty much done with the artwork before they actually post a new update. The masses need pretty screenshots to look at when they get the news about the exciting things being worked on.

1 hour ago, Centurian52 said:

I think they're trying to generate enough artwork/3d models to make a presentable update. I believe that's a major bottleneck since they've only got a couple people to do that sort of work. They've got a lot of the artwork and modeling done, and it all looks fantastic. But I have no idea how much there is left to do, and I suspect they want to be pretty much done with the artwork before they actually post a new update. The masses need pretty screenshots to look at when they get the news about the exciting things being worked on.

Thanks for the interesting tidbit which has done nothing but put my interest into overdrive!

What graphics engine will battlefort use for their new game?
Will we see Unreal, Unity or in-house development as they have used in the current games.
Will a graphics engine like Unreal, Unity be able to be used in the type of games that Battlfront develops ?

6 hours ago, chaos49 said:

Will a graphics engine like Unreal, Unity be able to be used in the type of games that Battlfront develops ?

Regular game engines don't mix with tile-based terrain. They also don't like the projectile flight paths in CM.

On 2/3/2024 at 2:08 AM, Battlefront.com said:

We thank you for your patience and understanding.

Thanks,

Steve

Steve, thanks for your post, I appreciate it very much. I have the utmost respect for you sir and have been a fan of your work for many years. If I may just please possibly recommend, CMAK2 must surely remain to be the most wished for thing you never did (yet!). It's amazing to me, where did your "least wanted" theory come from, can you elaborate please? Do a new poll and prove us wrong!

Unless of course, you have something personal against the historical campaigns of Rommel, Patton, Monty and the Italians in North Africa, then it's your game and you can do whatever you like with it and I absolutely respect that.

The thing is, there must be hundreds of WW2 tactical videogames based in the eastern/western fronts now, yet by comparison a mere handful set in the sands of North Africa. May I ask, is the reason you avoided it because of potential "sticky" Palestine/Israel questions, avoiding it for political reasons? I sincerely hope not. Considering Combat Mission is at heart a game based around armoured warfare, it's pretty crazy and disappointing that CMAK2 still doesn't exist. Just think of all the historical desert warfare campaigns and scenarios we missed out on, from Operation Torch, Tobruk, El Alamein, Kasserine Pass, Sidi Bou Zid.. sorry, I'll stop now. Never mind any fictional Indiana Jones missions set around the atmosphere of the Pyramids just for fun (I expect there are many Freemasons here who appreciate the occult).

I won't say any more, I'll just leave this link here for your perusal and good luck with whatever you decide to do, all the best to you sir and thanks again for making such brilliant, technically accurate and loved games!

https://tallyhocorner.com/2024/08/combat-mission-olympiad-turn-1/

Additionally, CM2 engine seems particularly well suited for desert war, where its limitations (maps geometry, big buildings or particular terrain features) will have very little impact.