Aggravation

I'm done with this infuriating game. I've broached this topic before and absolutely nothing has changed. I also do not need any replies. I had been previously playing 2nd Battle of Chaumont as the US and couldn't believe it when a platoon occupying good defensive buildings started moving right into the German line. As I discovered, that platoon had been under tank fire so it was correctly pointed out that if they were panicked or routed (which they were) then that would account for their erratic behavior. Ok - got it. So I'm now playing 1st Battle of Chaumont as the US and have deployed and hidden my infantry and machine guns in the large woods directly adjacent to Chaumont as I worked to deploy my tanks in support. I was also waiting for my arty and air support to become available. All well and good - until I heard rifle and machine gun fire! My deployed and hidden infantry and machine guns just started moving right into Chaumont!!!!! Mind you, they were in command with +1 and +2 leaders and NOT panicked or routed. This is just completely unacceptable!! I also do not care what so-called logical explanations there may be - my initial enjoyment of this game is flat out ruined.

2 hours ago, kb6583 said:

I worked to deploy my tanks in support.

The tanks are the main force in the battle and the infantry support them. Find the approach in which a company of tanks in battle formation can enter Chaumont. WW2 was won by area fire and attrition. If you try tactics which work in CF2 or Black Sea, it doesn't end well. I saw that wood as an obstacle. It is not a hard battle to win. I can give some spoilers. The Germans are heavily outnumbered, the giveaway is when you kill the first outpost. They are Paratroopers among the best infantry they had. Tank losses don't affect the morale of infantry better lose a vehicle than a life. 

3 hours ago, kb6583 said:

I'm done with this infuriating game. I also do not need any replies.

What can I say?  I'm not done with it by any means, but that's a reply 😉.

Not sure why your guys would just start moving into Chaumont unless you'd given them orders to do so?  But that's also a reply 😬.

Anyway, just keep going and ask questions here, watch Youtube videos or whatever works.  It's well worth the learning curve in my opinion.

6 hours ago, kb6583 said:

Mind you, they were in command with +1 and +2 leaders and NOT panicked or routed. 

Did you accidentally select a larger formation by double clicking? Maybe you assigned orders while you had other troops selected. Also, sometimes my lazy fingers will stay on shift (I use a mechanical keyboard) and sometimes I'll select multiple troops without realizing. 

You said your troops were not routed. So they must have moved for some reason. If it wasnt from enemy fire it was probably from user error. 

8 hours ago, Artkin said:

Did you accidentally select a larger formation by double clicking? Maybe you assigned orders while you had other troops selected. Also, sometimes my lazy fingers will stay on shift (I use a mechanical keyboard) and sometimes I'll select multiple troops without realizing. 

You said your troops were not routed. So they must have moved for some reason. If it wasnt from enemy fire it was probably from user error. 

That’s really the only possibility. The TAC AI doesn’t attack without orders.

The combination of defensive position in building and under tank fire is concerning. The only building that's likely to successfully stand up to tank fire is a cathedral. Any troops short of fanatics are likely to eventually relocate, either to the far side of the building, or down a floor, or out the door.

I've never had units randomly charge at the enemy that weren't panicked or routing, but I have many times accidentally selected an entire formation and had them move where I didn't want them to that way just like Artkin said, so unless you have a video of it showing otherwise I'm guessing that was the issue.

You might want to make sure you have the latest patch because before that, one's troops had the nasty habit of running towards the enemy when they came under fire! On the other hand, if you don't want any replies, why bother posting?

On 8/13/2022 at 11:01 PM, Warts 'n' all said:

If someone who has been dead for 400 years ......

.....Talking of aggravation. Hey Warts, have you been to Ripley Castle in Yorkshire, again recently? You can still see bullet holes in the walls from the last time your rough bloody lot were up here!

2 hours ago, Hilts said:

.....Talking of aggravation. Hey Warts, have you been to Ripley Castle in Yorkshire, again recently? You can still see bullet holes in the walls from the last time your rough bloody lot were up here!

Hahahahaha. You got old Noddle Head bang to rights.

Although in real life, the last time I was in Yorkshire was 2000 when an old girlfriend was taking me to the Lake District. 

Ok - I've calmed down now. I really appreciate your replies but I have to tell ya, none of the above applies. I moved each unit separately and gave them hide orders, which did happen. Everyone was safely ensconced - veteran, ok, rested, and in command with +1 and +2 leaders. In spite of all of your helpful comments NOTHING makes sense or fits. I literally have to constantly go back and check on them - only to repeatedly see them getting movement orders right into Chaumont and repeatedly having to cancel them and get everyone back into hiding. Throughout this game they stay put for awhile while I'm trying to get my tanks into position to assist them in assaulting Chaumont. Then after a bit, I check on them and there they are with movement orders - AGAIN - into Chaumont. HONEST - I'm not ordering anything! They're safely hidden and under no enemy fire whatsoever. Jeez, I just want them to stay put and hidden!

55 minutes ago, kb6583 said:

Ok - I've calmed down now. I really appreciate your replies but I have to tell ya, none of the above applies. I moved each unit separately and gave them hide orders, which did happen. Everyone was safely ensconced - veteran, ok, rested, and in command with +1 and +2 leaders. In spite of all of your helpful comments NOTHING makes sense or fits. I literally have to constantly go back and check on them - only to repeatedly see them getting movement orders right into Chaumont and repeatedly having to cancel them and get everyone back into hiding. Throughout this game they stay put for awhile while I'm trying to get my tanks into position to assist them in assaulting Chaumont. Then after a bit, I check on them and there they are with movement orders - AGAIN - into Chaumont. HONEST - I'm not ordering anything! They're safely hidden and under no enemy fire whatsoever. Jeez, I just want them to stay put and hidden!

You have a save game file? 

H

6 hours ago, Hilts said:

You may have forgotten ( I know your memory is not what it used to be) that you allegedly spent the night there after your shenanigans on the moor at Marston.

You are quite correct about the stay at the castle. But, I must take exception to your use of the word "shenanigans", I think that you meant "military masterpiece".