Aggravation

7 hours ago, kb6583 said:

Throughout this game they stay put for awhile while I'm trying to get my tanks into position to assist them in assaulting Chaumont.

Farfetched but I am puzzled why the tanks are doing the assisting but not the other way around. Infantry there are too many green and badly motivated infantry in that formation for an infantry assault. I saw the forest as an obstacle and not a route to conduct an assault. It helps if you capture some screenshots when you run into a problem. I have FB for some years and never run into the problem you experienced. Happy gaming. PS armor are not affected as badly as infantry with morale issues. Veterans, Crack and Elite make better spotters apart from that they are just like regular units if you plot fire orders. I said if you plot, better let the TacAI do the decision making. I found in the beginning that over macro managing made playing a frustrating experience. 

Edited by chuckdyke

On 8/13/2022 at 7:08 PM, chuckdyke said:

The tanks are the main force in the battle and the infantry support them. Find the approach in which a company of tanks in battle formation can enter Chaumont. WW2 was won by area fire and attrition. If you try tactics which work in CF2 or Black Sea, it doesn't end well. I saw that wood as an obstacle. It is not a hard battle to win. I can give some spoilers. The Germans are heavily outnumbered, the giveaway is when you kill the first outpost. They are Paratroopers among the best infantry they had. Tank losses don't affect the morale of infantry better lose a vehicle than a life. 

Chuckdyke, You're always providing cogent and valuable comments for a beginner like myself. I can't attach a save game file as it's way too large. Unfortunately, I just don't know how to make and attach a screen shot. Based on your comments I can see I still have an awful lot to learn. I saw those woods as the only safe way to approach the town and standby as I tried to get my tanks into position to assault the town. From what you've written, I'm doing it a#$backwards. Also, I'm gun shy as earlier in the scenario I found myself dealing with two ATGs and spent an inordinate amount of time taking them out. What other unpleasant surprises await for my tanks? I have the distinct impression that I have not really learned how to read and examine the terrain in CM - particularly, no doubt, the nuances of finding and using terrain for concealing approaches to Chaumont.  Warm Regards - Bob 

In windows press 🪟+G (Windows +G) that gives you the tool to record the game and make screenshots. The scenario tells you the ratio of Attrition 100 :300 if my memory serves me right. Here is a person who can explain how to develop a course of action. The first A stands for analyze. The man plays Combat Mission Professional.

Edited by chuckdyke