Proof that spotting is broken in CM

Grey_Fox

Sure, but it seemed in bad taste. These look like somewhat large scale exercises given the amount of smoke bring given off from engines and guns. I wouldnt expect a bmp-1 to have all that great of vision anyway. No ifv from this time period was given priority in vision besides the bradley.

Not sure what the offensive “bad taste” element is here but it is very realistic.  This stuff happens all the time on exercises and we develop all sorts of methods to try and control it.   The lesson here is that spotting in a buttoned vehicle RL is much harder than a lot of people believe.

1 hour ago, Grey_Fox said:

Do you expect actual combat operations to be less confusing and less distracting?

I haven't seen people complain about the spotting in CMCW with a situation like this - which is a very condensed tank formation likely firing multiple rounds in rapid succession. The amount of smoke in this situation is a lot.

If you never spot your enemy, there isn't going to be any smoke in front of your gun barrel. And if you aren't moving the amount of diesel given off at idle would be much less.

Edited by Artkin

17 minutes ago, BeondTheGrave said:

Spotting in CM Got me like:

me2jywiBAOs.jpg

Imagine standing in the First Sergeants office attempting to explain that.............. I wonder what type of "extra duty" was earned for this?  KP, motor pool guard, latrine cleaning, digging ditches, all the above......:unsure:  :D 

7 hours ago, The_Capt said:

Not sure what the offensive “bad taste” element is here but it is very realistic.  This stuff happens all the time on exercises and we develop all sorts of methods to try and control it.   The lesson here is that spotting in a buttoned vehicle RL is much harder than a lot of people believe.

While I went Field Artillery, my college roommate went Armor. His platoon broke a M1 Abrams. 1st and 2d tank stopped short. 3rd tank didn't (well, it did shortly!). 4th tank didn't. Cracked the hull of the 3rd tank when it was sandwiched between #2 and #4. The irresistible force and immovable object.  60 tons moving 25mpg vs 180 tons stopped.

9 hours ago, Grey_Fox said:

As you can see in the video here, what we see in game is not representative of reality: 

OK ... frankly still not as horrible as what happened to Hapless, though. I think I can see what happened here. It's clear where the tank's attention was going. As for BMP, the commander and gunner's periscopes were pointing the wrong way and the driver was concentrating on the front TNPO. By the time T-64 showed up on the front TNPO, it was too late ...

Still not as bad as a horror where the the tank was driving ahead, they even saw the Vulcan which was dead ahead but they didn't see the M60, which snuffed the T-62.

1 hour ago, Ultradave said:

While I went Field Artillery, my college roommate went Armor. His platoon broke a M1 Abrams. 1st and 2d tank stopped short. 3rd tank didn't (well, it did shortly!). 4th tank didn't. Cracked the hull of the 3rd tank when it was sandwiched between #2 and #4. The irresistible force and immovable object.  60 tons moving 25mpg vs 180 tons stopped.

Whoa!  Cracked the hull of an M1??!  I guess all that mass...  What were the repercussions for said incident?  

12 hours ago, Phantom Captain said:

Whoa!  Cracked the hull of an M1??!  I guess all that mass...  What were the repercussions for said incident?  

Nothing, really. It was during M1 testing at Fort Knox (back in the Dark Ages). So everyone shrugged and said "Oops. Oh, well," apparently. 

Dave

• 1 month later...