Proof that spotting is broken in CM

Grey_Fox

Just my 2 cents...

Spotting from INSIDE a vehicle: yes, horrific small field of view and in our little CM game if I have my tank NOT SEE an enemy AT infantry team in a nearby area, I feel like that is not a thing to complain about.

But I see in a CMRT Warsaw Uprising 1944 Mod that German tanks roll down the street and the turret slews over to sniper nail the enemy AT team hiding in a building. WTF?

In CMFB I have a US Army bazooka team NOT seeing an enemy tank driving all around them. I see as the player a quiet little spotting enemy "?" icon dancing and floating around to indicate they hear something but the game code has no specific sound effect wave file it ques up, a revving or idling of the engine or maybe squeaking of tracks? nope, nothing, the explanation usually given is they have their heads down in fear and are not seeing it or the wind is blowing or the darkness or visibility or Cognac.

SPOTTING IS BROKEN. SPOTTING ISN'T BROKEN. SPOTTING MIGHT BE IMPROVED OR TWEAKED. WE HAVE NO TIME. BUSY WITH OTHER STUFF. CHARLES IS THE ONLY GUY TO GO IN AND CHANGE THE CODE. HE AINT DOING THAT EVER MAYBE.   

Hi Phil...   I think we all know by now about this issue.  Not sure about modern tank spotting ability with IR etc, but WW2 tanks in CM2 have a supernatural ability to detect inf regardless of blizzard conditions, smoke, or in a building.  In "Snow For the Hungry" a T-34 easily spotted and killed two sniper teams about 100 meters away in a blizzard.

years of comments and it is what it is, if the coding could have changed more it likely would have. 

When a CMX3 engines comes out, I am sure it will take a different approach to it to some extent. 

I just hope we all like it when it happens, because change has a funny way of not pleasing everyone.

When you give orders which are not possible in real life you end up in a situation which is not possible in real life. I have closed up Shermans spotting enemy units before a sniper does. Is it because I make the sniper conveniently look in the right direction and don't bothered about the Sherman?

Edited by chuckdyke