How Hot is Ukraine Gonna Get?

Probus

13 minutes ago, The_MonkeyKing said:

Very few other systems could hit that. Especially given the air defense. I see a storm shadow as a possibility

Yeah, you and @Kinophile are probably right, thinking of this again it makes the most sense. I hate to see them being used at targets that close to the frontline though, shame there aren't GLSDB or similar low cost solutions available for that. 

Just now, Huba said:

Yeah, you and @Kinophile are probably right, thinking of this again it makes the most sense. I hate to see them being used at targets that close to the frontline though, shame there aren't GLSDB or similar low cost solutions available for that. 

Depends on the target :) 

Im really hoping to see a sudden jump in higher level command decap strikes, like Brigade/division level. Pushing hard into that kind of chaos is where the offensive could really start to crack things open. 

https://www.newsweek.com/patience-will-pay-off-ukraines-counteroffensive-ret-us-general-1799841

"Ukraine's army will attack when they're ready, at time and place(s) of their choosing, & they will be successful in their operation to regain sovereign territory, transitioning to offense takes significant preparation, coordination & synchronization," he wrote. "This ain't a video game."

1 hour ago, Kinophile said:

Ho boi :) It was more complicated than that, no? But Hold on, let me get a firm grasp of...this...derailment...lever-

Who's our resident Roman History person, is it @billbindc

KaChunk!

I could have a go, but then again, I never actually got my degree and your question is poorly phrased - I'm a Roman history guy, but you want a Byzantine history guy 🤣

https://www.newsweek.com/patience-will-pay-off-ukraines-counteroffensive-ret-us-general-1799841

"Ukraine's army will attack when they're ready, at time and place(s) of their choosing, & they will be successful in their operation to regain sovereign territory, transitioning to offense takes significant preparation, coordination & synchronization," he wrote. "This ain't a video game."

47 minutes ago, danfrodo said:

Could run into some very tough RU units but there's got to be lots of very weak areas also.

There surely are some tougher Russian units. Some of them are bound to have a higher concentration of experienced prewar personnel and higher quality equipment. It might be a problem if the Ukrainians run into one of them during one of these limited attacks. But when it comes to the main offensive, the tougher Russian units will either have to run away with the weaker units, or they will find themselves isolated and vulnerable to easy destruction.

7 minutes ago, Baneman said:

I could have a go, but then again, I never actually got my degree and your question is poorly phrased - I'm a Roman history guy, but you want a Byzantine history guy 🤣

That sir, is a thrown gauntlet too far. They were Romanioi!!!!

14 minutes ago, DesertFox said:

Good impressions of the impact site in Luhansk

That looks to be an office building, so I'd say it was a command and control center.  Which, if important enough, definitely warranted a Storm Shadow and a bunch of decoys.

The decoys are a nice surprise.  I don't recall seeing any mention of in press releases.  I am expecting a couple more.

Steve

44 minutes ago, DesertFox said:

This is interesting. MALD decoys used parallel to the Storm Shadow strike in Luhansk?

MALD Decoy | Raytheon Missiles & Defense (raytheonmissilesanddefense.com) 

I previously thought the Crimea Bridge is an unlikely target to be hit with Storm Shadow (because of the quantities required to overwhelm the AD). ADM-160 might make that equation different...

image.png.dd962ab755365313c727a022f4ab4838.png

13 minutes ago, Centurian52 said:

There surely are some tougher Russian units. Some of them are bound to have a higher concentration of experienced prewar personnel and higher quality equipment. It might be a problem if the Ukrainians run into one of them during one of these limited attacks. But when it comes to the main offensive, the tougher Russian units will either have to run away with the weaker units, or they will find themselves isolated and vulnerable to easy destruction.

This is where we hope that the UKR advantage in ISR will tell. It would seem from the dominant narrative that UKR high command should pretty much have a handle on where all the snake eaters live, and even what snakes they had for breakfast. And those locations should have "bypass and isolate" pins stuck in them, along with "extra helping of 155mm" orders.

2 minutes ago, The_MonkeyKing said:

I previously thought the Crimea Bridge is an unlikely target to be hit with Storm Shadow (because of the quantities required to overwhelm the AD). ADM-160 might make that equation different...

I was thinking earlier that the prohibition on striking targets "in Russia" might mean that the Kerch Bridge is (at least for now) off limits for Storm Shadow, given that it is distinctly a Russian project. Or maybe it just means they can only hit up to the sea territory limit. Depends on what the lawyers and escalation-prognosticators say, I guess.

14 minutes ago, The_MonkeyKing said:

Yes. That and their logistics hub in Melitopol. I guess we are right now in the beginning phase of the ouverture to something bigger.

michael-mackay-with-the-kerch-bridge-damaged-russian-now-v0-cupx9i10xps91.jpg?s=72cb13685d2abc1828ece9dddbeefb1166b3675c

Edited by DesertFox

4 minutes ago, womble said:

I was thinking earlier that the prohibition on striking targets "in Russia" might mean that the Kerch Bridge is (at least for now) off limits for Storm Shadow, given that it is distinctly a Russian project. Or maybe it just means they can only hit up to the sea territory limit. Depends on what the lawyers and escalation-prognosticators say, I guess.

Nope, widely accepted to be a highly illegal project that grossly violates Ukraine's sovereignty.

That argument might be able to be made against the Russian navy in Russian ports like Sevastopol. Still, I do not think even this is the case.

11 minutes ago, womble said:

The main span below which goes the main shipping canal is firmly on the UA side of the strait ;) 

I wonder if we are going to see the Himar o'clock redux in the upcoming weeks? One or two strikes similar to todays happening every day, while Muscovites in panic mode move everything out of range or try to disperse. BSF fleeing Sevastopol to Novorosyyisk, etc. etc.
I doubt UA got enough SS (this is going to be a fun abbreviation going forward 🙄) to hit every important target in range, but the need to mitigate the risk of getting hit is going to mess up with everything they do on the occupied territories.

3 minutes ago, Beleg85 said:

Ok sorry, again posting just for laugh but this is heavenly one. Perigozhin-san.

LMAO!!

Edited by Huba

19 minutes ago, Battlefront.com said:

That looks to be an office building, so I'd say it was a command and control center.  Which, if important enough, definitely warranted a Storm Shadow and a bunch of decoys.

The decoys are a nice surprise.  I don't recall seeing any mention of in press releases.  I am expecting a couple more.

Steve

Here is locations of Luhansk objects, being struck today (interesting that 12th of May is "Republic Day" in LPR)

The mark close to city center is former "Poly-pack" factory, turned by Russians into vehicle repairing facility and logistic center.

Sounthern mark - fuel depot.

Зображення

Edited by Haiduk

4 minutes ago, The_MonkeyKing said:

Nope, widely accepted to be a highly illegal project that grossly violates Ukraine's sovereignty.

That argument might be able to be made against the Russian navy in Russian ports like Sevastopol. Still, I do not think even this is the case.

Sevastopol is fair game. Ukrainian territory is being defined by the 1991 borders. So strikes into Crimea are not considered cross border strikes.