How Hot is Ukraine Gonna Get?

Probus

47 minutes ago, DesertFox said:

I´m all for this version...

one the most romantic and heart warming scenes since Titanic movie. 😆 Though I´d prefer the Iranian or Taliban version of it. I mean publicly and thus sharing this entertainment with all those who are interested. Or reopening Rome´s coliseum with the Tsar fighting one his mighthy bears until conclusion? Or Running Man, in this case Hobbling Man though. Well, at least he´d start to "entertain" anybody.

I feel like we are inching towards either a battlefield nuke by the Russians or a coup and the ouster of Putin in the next week or so.  It just feels like there is absolute chaos at the Kremlin right now and the idea that Putin will announce a full mobilization that would make him look bad (If things are going well comrade why do we need more troops?) given that this was a simple special military operation that has gone horribly wrong.  I think we are closer to seeing tactical nukes used on the battlefield right now than anytime in my lifetime.

Why am I wrong?

Edited by asurob

54 minutes ago, billbindc said:

Yes. An under rated aspect of this entire conflict is that the US has to keep a broad coalition together with often quite different views of the war...especially in terms of escalation and where that intersects with material support. The easiest way to manage it is to use each Russian escalation as an opportunity to broaden and heighten engagement. This event will continue that trend.

But...now Putin is practically two hours late for his pre-recorded speech. Hmmm...

Putin's speech being delayed "To be shown bright and early in Russia's Far East". It is now just shy of 8am in the Russian Far East. 

This looks like some sort of failure of political mobilization at least in the short run. A faltering political mobilization plus a faltering economy is precisely how to get a faltering 1917 situation.

31 minutes ago, Grigb said:

I got weird idea - what if Putin wanted to declare the start of a new RU offensive? Mashkovets said today:

But something went wrong...

Saying "Russian planned something" and "something went wrong" is redundant :)

My time today is overbooked already, but I've been checking in regularly today to see what's going on.  Putin announcing speaking to the public, outside of a schedule event, is rare these days.  Having Shoigu to be a part of it is even more significant.  Announcing and cancelling without explanation is a big deal.  Likely a huge deal.  We just don't know why or the degree of importance.  The smart money is on it being very bad for Putin specifically.

AFAIK the last time Shoigu made any sort of announcement was in July when he said we should all quake in our boots because Russia was launching an offensive.  Seems likely that is why he was on deck for this announcement.  But like Grigb suggested, something went wrong.  Because we haven't seen any reports of HIMARS hitting assembly points, so maybe there was a mutiny or threat of one significant enough to screw up plans?

Steve

21 minutes ago, asurob said:

I feel like we are inching towards either a battlefield nuke by the Russians or a coup and the ouster of Putin in the next week or so.  It just feels like there is absolute chaos at the Kremlin right now and the idea that Putin will announce a full mobilization that would make him look bad (If things are going well comrade why do we need more troops?) given that this was a simple special military operation that has gone horribly wrong.  I think we are closer to seeing tactical nukes used on the battlefield right now than anytime in my lifetime.

Why am I wrong?

I wish I could give you a good reason for why you're wrong, but all arguments I've seen against Putin using nukes seem to rest on "it basically doesn't make any sense militarily" or "it wouldn't be rational" or "it would isolate Russia".

But I don't think it was rational to start this war in the first place, so that's not much comfort.

Last night UKR forces hit enemy deployment in Alchevsk, Luhansk oblast. In yellow circle you can see bunk beds, so this is obvous sign, that barrack was in this building (before 2014 here was High School of Business)

Locals reported about loud explosions and many cars of emergency services, likely enough number of "200" and "300"

Зображення

Edited by Haiduk

10 minutes ago, Bulletpoint said:

Odd thing that the president of Russia only remembers in the last moment that Russia is big and spans many time zones. Really odd.

If you think that the speech was delayed from 80% of the population for the other 20%, then boy do I have a war in Ukraine so sell you. 

52 minutes ago, asurob said:

Why am I wrong?

No one wants to die in a nuclear war, and using a nuke raises that option extremely high that you will die, and certainly raises it high for those ordering or carrying out those orders to launch a nuke, and all indications point to this SMO in Ukraine being quite low stakes. Sure, maybe the SMO fails and Putin is ordered to be retired. But Putin's retirement is not Russia's retirement. 

The USSR may have been afraid of being nuked by the West, but the removal of Russian Air Defense units from St. Petersburg and near Finland, not to mention the draining of military assets facing the West for the SMO indicates Moscow has no fear of Western escalation over Ukraine turning into a active conflict between Russia and the West. 

43 minutes ago, FancyCat said:

No one wants to die in a nuclear war, and using a nuke raises that option extremely high that you will die, and certainly raises it high for those ordering or carrying out those orders to launch a nuke, and all indications point to this SMO in Ukraine being quite low stakes. Sure, maybe the SMO fails and Putin is ordered to be retired. But Putin's retirement is not Russia's retirement. 

The USSR may have been afraid of being nuked by the West, but the removal of Russian Air Defense units from St. Petersburg and near Finland, not to mention the draining of military assets facing the West for the SMO indicates Moscow has no fear of Western escalation over Ukraine turning into a active conflict between Russia and the West. 

So then Putin is closer to the window then we suspect?

1 hour ago, Bulletpoint said:

Odd thing that the president of Russia only remembers in the last moment that Russia is big and spans many time zones. Really odd.

Putin's last big speech - announcing the invasion of Ukraine - was timed to overlap with the address of the Russian ambassador to the UN security council. So they can be aware of time zones when it suits them.

I am wondering what will the speech be about, and if it is being - as I write this - tweaked to catch up with military and diplomatic developments.

Edited by BletchleyGeek