How Hot is Ukraine Gonna Get?

Probus

Shahid-mobil, prematurely taking its driver to paradise (who jokes before "I am not a martyr, I'll get out in time. Slava Rossii!" haha...).

Another sign that Russians indeed are adapting- in their own twisted way. Syrian lessons were not forgotten either.

Edited by Beleg85

Better drone direction of artillery excepted, this seems to be a level of adaptation the Ukrainians can live with. The better drone use is a problem.

1 hour ago, Beleg85 said:

Shahid-mobil, prematurely taking its driver to paradise (who jokes before "I am not a martyr, I'll get out in time. Slava Rossii!" haha...).

Another sign that Russians indeed are adapting- in their own twisted way. Syrian lessons were not forgotten either.

Pelosi might have pushed China more decisively to the side of Russia. The visit was an unnecessary move and not that smart amidst Ukraine war. China hasn't assisted openly Russia so far but now the mood is changing rapidly and I'm not seeing it reversing. 

Unless I'm not aware US has decided now is the best chance for them to confront both of their rivals ala WW2. Militarily China is not  ready yet to challenge them , so there is a window of opportunity. 

23 minutes ago, panzermartin said:

Pelosi might have pushed China more decisively to the side of Russia. The visit was an unnecessary move and not that smart amidst Ukraine war. China hasn't assisted openly Russia so far but now the mood is changing rapidly and I'm not seeing it reversing. 

Unless I'm not aware US has decided now is the best chance for them to confront both of their rivals ala WW2. Militarily China is not  ready yet to challenge them , so there is a window of opportunity. 

Helping Russia is just throwing away good money.  China isn't that dumb.  On the other hand the US also made it clear the cost to take Taiwan is higher than China is likely able to pay.  The economic issues China is facing make fighting a financial war with the west more thana little problematic.

A short talk with UA general about the withdrawal from Severodonetsk and Lysychansk. Unsurprisingly, he blames it on fatigue and unsustainable logistics. One can easily imagine that the same is now happening to RU in Kherson.

https://twitter.com/VolodyaTretyak/status/1555633966811648000?s=20&t=wcz7RmU3p70lM960mCA1HA

Edited by Huba

1 hour ago, panzermartin said:

As usual you're turning things around. China has been conducting aggressive and threatening exercises against Taiwan for years and has continued to do so since the Russian invasion of Ukraine. Perhaps Ukraine wouldn't have been invaded if Pelosi or Biden would have visit Kiev at the beginning of this year.

But yeah, let's blame the Americans. 😉

Edited by Aragorn2002

1 hour ago, panzermartin said:

Pelosi might have pushed China more decisively to the side of Russia.

The biggest mistake let countries with a veneer of respectability to have veto rights where the opposition must hide in the forest with a band of merry men is the biggest mistake. China 5 million communist party members don't represent the Chinese people. Likewise, Russia where an election is window dressing only. The UN is now as effective as the league of nations used to be. It is a league where one party dictatorships rule the roost... The way it stands now. The US, Britain, France, China and Russia have the right to invade and the right to veto any UN resolutions. It is up to us, the people, to get rid of it. 

I made an observation. That the timing is not right. We have been skeptical here about the possibility of China entering this "challenge US dominance" battle in a more drastic way. And we agree we are not fans of this prospect for various reasons, mainly economic.

China still sees US as the daughter of the British Empire. In a sense they are right.  Like the British, they also have a big Navy that is constantly on World tour. Taiwan is a very sensitive case and not an arena for personal political gains.

2 minutes ago, panzermartin said:

I made an observation. That the timing is not right. We have been skeptical here about the possibility of China entering this "challenge US dominance" battle in a more drastic way. And we agree we are not fans of this prospect for various reasons, mainly economic.

Wrong again. The timing is spot on.

1 minute ago, panzermartin said:

Taiwan is a very sensitive case and not an arena for personal political gains.

Taiwan has the right to exist as a country in its own right. Similar in size of Australia which is also an island and an ofshoot of Britain. Time to recognise it as such.  

You know, "us made russia / china do it" is for sure going to be popular with tankies whenever russia or china do anything. Thats how tankies work. It is a common rhetoric.

Personally I just caught up with the thread an am more saddened by some people being more upset by russian soldier being mistreated by the bus driver than they were by russia torturing and murdering pows.

2 minutes ago, Letter from Prague said:

You know, "us made russia / china do it" is for sure going to be popular with tankies whenever russia or china do anything. Thats how tankies work. It is a common rhetoric.

Personally I just caught up with the thread an am more saddened by some people being more upset by russian soldier being mistreated by the bus driver than they were by russia torturing and murdering pows.

What is a tankie? Mistreating or killing POWS in times of wars like this, is absolutely no surprise sadly. Its a reality but even the good guys commit such crimes on and off the record. But treating your own helpless people like s*** in everyday life hits a different chord.

16 minutes ago, Letter from Prague said:

There is only one warcrime and that is starting a war. To be ruled by penpushers who examine their rulebooks with a magnifying class allows you to enter a new low. 

My apologies. I assumed you were historically literate.  I was paraphrasing Churchill's quote about democracy to acknowledge that while there are problems with the the UN (and democracy) that it is still (like democracy) the best we've yet come up with.

Again, I apologise. I wont make that assumption again.

Edited by JonS

1 minute ago, JonS said:

This is wronger than a wrong thing on the wrong day.

What language is that? Clausewitz goes ‘straight to the heart of the matter’. ‘War is nothing but a duel on a larger scale. As far as I know duels are crimes in the modern world. 

4 minutes ago, JonS said:

I was paraphrasing Churchill's quote about democracy to acknowledge that while there are problems with the the UN (and democracy) that it is still (like democracy) the best we've yet come up with.

A British prime minister is qualified to come up with the correct definition? He ended the war as the prime minister of a bankrupt country and was voted out. The UN is not a democracy by definition. Five countries are not qualified to rule the world. The UN is as united as the  Democratic People's Republic of North Korea are democratic.

Edited by chuckdyke