How Hot is Ukraine Gonna Get?

Probus

2 minutes ago, sburke said:

lol yeah I'd really want the enemy handling my logistics when it is already a weak point. Then you have to use manpower to guard them anyway. There is just no good way to spin this.  What a gawdawful excuse for an army.

I think we all know that a Russian soldier should expect a little something extra in his coffee or meal if Ukrainians are put on kitchen duty.

Steve

2 minutes ago, chrisl said:

I’m starting to wonder if Russia went into this with their forces on the wrong side of a 2:3 or even 1:2 without realizing it.  And now they’ve suffered documented 20-25% casualties against the paper TOE, but much higher (35-40%?) against the actual manpower they had.  The understrength BTGs may have started with even less than suspected, or be more widespread.

For sure this is true in some units.  Definitely. 

When I've done calcs I've presumed a BTG to be at about 75% strength.  I too am wondering how many cases where that figure is too high.  As you say, if a unit's real strength starts off 50% then we need to be applying rule of thumb combat effectiveness calculations on that number, not the paper strength number.

Steve

7 minutes ago, Battlefront.com said:

Some UGVs have semi-autonomous driving capabilities.  The operator sets waypoints and the vehicle is capable of navigating "best path" to get there provided the path isn't inherently unworkable (oh, say like the Dniper being smack in the middle!).  One application of this is for cargo UGVs to go between a rearward supply point and forward reception area.

Some UGVs are also equipped with a "follow me" capability which allows one operator to control a train of UGVs by directing the first one and the rest dutifully mimicking its path.

There is even full autonomous UGV capabilities where the operator specifies an end point and the vehicle determines how best to get there.

These modes are optional and some UGVs have all of them.

Steve

Starting to sound an awful lot like CM, but with the unit locations and movement fed back from real world sensors displaying what’s actually happening instead of virtual world models…

(Edit: and with modern sensors making borg spotting realistic)

Edited by chrisl

5 minutes ago, Battlefront.com said:

I think we all know that a Russian soldier should expect a little something extra in his coffee or meal if Ukrainians are put on kitchen duty.

Steve

You mean like this? Welcomng them with flowers, big time. 

7 minutes ago, Battlefront.com said:

Some UGVs have semi-autonomous driving capabilities.  The operator sets waypoints and the vehicle is capable of navigating "best path" to get there provided the path isn't inherently unworkable (oh, say like the Dniper being smack in the middle!).  One application of this is for cargo UGVs to go between a rearward supply point and forward reception area.

Some UGVs are also equipped with a "follow me" capability which allows one operator to control a train of UGVs by directing the first one and the rest dutifully mimicking its path.

There is even full autonomous UGV capabilities where the operator specifies an end point and the vehicle determines how best to get there.

These modes are optional and some UGVs have all of them.

Steve

And on top of all that, if the UGV is replacing a tank, its remote operators replace the tank crew... and the tank crew would've had to be there to do the driving, just the same... "Autonomy" reduces the need for continual control, but nobody thinks it'll eliminate it entirely.

2 hours ago, acrashb said:

The article states that "employees are given a choice: to go on unpaid leave or sign a contract with the armed forces to participate in the war in Ukraine. The recommended position is an 'operator-gunner' of a Buk missile system. The proposed salary is 50,000 roubles a month," the statement said."

50,000 rubles is $603.50 in USD at the moment.

Its my growing impression that Putin's 'grand strategy' is to run Ukraine out of bullets, artillery shells and AT missiles by providing a unending stream of cannon fodder troops for them to shoot. After the Ukrainians' ammo is depleted the remaining Russians, in theory, win by default. That, at least appeared to be their way of fighting in Mariupol, and may be the reason behind their fruitless mini-assaults along the front. Russian soldier morale is beside the point if your objective is to get the enemy to use up all of his ammo killing them.

OK, so we've all seen the Chechen videos where they're blowing through ammo against non-existent targets.  Like the one below (with appropriate sound track added).  However, it just struck me that this is an allegory for the Russian mindset towards war generally.  Which is that firepower = strength.  Want to look strong?  Show some firepower.

Ukrainians, on the other hand, spend the bulk of their time uploading videos of the destruction (friendly and enemy), of people surviving the Hell around them, and of course tons of humor.

To me this reflects the differences between the Russians and the Ukrainians pretty accurately.

5 minutes ago, acrashb said:

So we are going to get a 'follow me' command to facilitate convoy movement? ;)

We have one, but we pulled it from Upgrade 4 because even our testers couldn't help but to misuse it and then say "fix or do somefink!".  We took a poll and we agreed to remove it.  Upon request we enabled it for the Pro version because those guys have the discipline to use it correctly :D

Steve

Just now, Battlefront.com said:

Upon request we enabled it for the Pro version because those guys have the discipline to use it correctly :D

You're killing me.  So now I need to retool my career and join an armed forces and/or three-letter agency just to get a follow me!  

Well, if that's the worst news I get today it isn't a bad day.

4 minutes ago, Battlefront.com said:

We have one, but we pulled it from Upgrade 4 because even our testers couldn't help but to misuse it and then say "fix or do somefink!".  We took a poll and we agreed to remove it.  Upon request we enabled it for the Pro version because those guys have the discipline to use it correctly :D

Steve

Are you sure about that?!

https://www.paudal.com/2022/04/16/accident-with-dutch-patriot-convoy-in-the-czech-republic/

Convoy driving is hard.

8 hours ago, Taranis said:

Des soldats russes marchent dans une rue de Marioupol, le 12 avril 2022, alors que les troupes russes intensifient leur campagne pour prendre la ville portuaire stratégique, dans le cadre d’un assaut massif prévu dans l’est de l'Ukraine, tandis que le président russe défend la guerre contre son voisin.

Russian soldiers walk on a street in Mariupol, April 12, 2022, as Russian troops step up their campaign to take the strategic port city, part of a massive assault planned in eastern Ukraine, while the Russian president defends the war against his neighbor. ALEXANDER NEMENOV / AFP

* What camouflae is it ? Is it Separatists or navy ?

Hard to tell, but it looks like the Russian knock-off of A-TACS.  I've seen quite a lot of Kadyrov's guys wearing it to the point where it looks to possibly be their dominant uniform.  MULTICAM knock-offs being the other one.  So my guess is the above picture is of Chechens.

593619i_ts.jpg

4 minutes ago, Elmar Bijlsma said:

Heh.  I meant virtual Pros, not the real ones behind the wheels :D

You might have missed a lot of joking at the beginning of this war that Combat Mission's convoy behavior might be unrealistically good :D

Steve

P.S.  dare I say that I'm happy to see your posts again?  Yes, I dare.  "I am happy to see your posts again".  There, I said it.

3 minutes ago, Battlefront.com said:

Combat Mission's convoy behavior might be unrealistically good :D

After spending an hour or so last night in RT arranging two fairly large but not huge columns with pauses etc. I can only keep my fingers crossed. Something will go wrong obviously, but hopefully nothing serious.

We

2 minutes ago, Battlefront.com said:

Heh.  I meant virtual Pros, not the real ones behind the wheels :D

You might have missed a lot of joking at the beginning of this war that Combat Mission's convoy behavior might be unrealistically good :D

Steve

P.S.  dare I say that I'm happy to see your posts again?  Yes, I dare.  "I am happy to see your posts again".  There, I said it.

It is good to be back and nice to be welcomed back.

Hang on to that happiness for when I start banging on again about long form campaigns. 😜