How Hot is Ukraine Gonna Get?

Probus

4 minutes ago, db_zero said:

Invading Iran would not be smart period. Any President sending US ground forces to invade would need to get their head examined.

Maybe so, but that's not really the point of this discussion about whether the tank is no longer viable or not, is it?

Reportedly Ukrainian army advances east from Brovary along H07 road Brovary - Pryluky - Sumy and liberated village Lukyanivka in 35 km east from Brovary. As if destroyed 2 tanks, 9 light armor and about 40 of infantry, one tank captured. Just twitter info, not confirmed, though AFU commander-in-chief general Zaluzhnyi have written today abouy "big victory on Brovary direction". In recent days  heard sounds of war from Brovary side, but since yesterday all became much queit. So, looks like our troops really pushed the enemy off to east.

Edited by Haiduk

Just now, db_zero said:

Looks like Russia has thrown down the gauntlet. 

Polish troops used as peacekeepers in Ukraine means WW3 and use of nukes whether we like it or not…

I suppose they also mean any other NATO peacekeepers too…

What are you talking about?

1 minute ago, db_zero said:

Seriously you really think the US or NATO is going to invade Iran? The geography is worse than Iraq and the population double Iraq.

It doesn't matter who the opponent is.  What matters is their capability relative to that of the US and whether or not you want to remove the tank from your arsenal given the military capability of any other random nation on the planet.  I'm not sure why that's so difficult to grasp.

I am still behind Poles, w help from any other countries that wish to volunteer, to set up a safe zone in western UKR.   There's millions of displaced people who need to safety, shelter, food, medical, etc, and it would be good to do much of that within UKR.  The safe zone could start small and expand.  As long as there's no RU ground forces in contact then Putin would scream but not be able to do much.  We'd have lots of air defense assets in that zone.

Putin is terrified of fight w NATO, that's why all the nuke threats.  But a safe zone would not be in direct conflict w RU unless RU attacked it. 

5 minutes ago, db_zero said:

Unless this is completely fake…

It was posted earlier that Putin alone doesn't control the nukes. Even if he did give the order there are 2 or 3 others who have to concur with his order. Based on the quality (or lack of) of his conventional forces and the reluctance of his troops to fight there would be a better than even chance that the order wouldn't be carried out.

25 minutes ago, Commanderski said:

It was posted earlier that Putin alone doesn't control the nukes. Even if he did give the order there are 2 or 3 others who have to concur with his order. Based on the quality (or lack of) of his conventional forces and the reluctance of his troops to fight there would be a better than even chance that the order wouldn't be carried out.

I tend to agree with this. Even so I’m not sure the decision markers are going to play Russian Roulette when it comes to nukes.

I’m going to assume the control restrictions apply to small tactical nukes as well as the big ones. We’re also making the assumption that all nukes are accounted for and under complete control and given what we’ve already seen of the Russian military and it’s efficiency and corruption and incompetence that may be asking too much.

Keep in mind too the Defense Minister has “heart problems” and other defense officials have been replaced so just who is in control of the nukes?

The fact they are even mentioning this shows desperation and I don’t know if that’s a good or bad thing with a nuclear armed opponent.

Edited by db_zero

11 minutes ago, ASL Veteran said:

It doesn't matter who the opponent is.  What matters is their capability relative to that of the US and whether or not you want to remove the tank from your arsenal given the military capability of any other random nation on the planet.  I'm not sure why that's so difficult to grasp.

It does matter as just naming a country that you’re not realistically going to fight using the weapons in question make no sense.

We could just use another NATO country if one wanted to start picking random nations out of a hat…

anyway let’s drop it as it’s getting off track.

18 minutes ago, TheVulture said:

It's the Daily Star, so it's completely unreliable.

This x3. I guess they watched that same propaganda piece on the usual channel that was posted here yesterday orso. Being the daily star I'm not surprised they took that an presented it as official Kremlin communication. Not that I bothered to read it lol.

Good article to put faces on your Ukrainian pixeltruppen:

"Defiant Ukrainian troops tell Russians: 'Go home while you're still alive'"

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-60860548

From the article: Ukrainian troops' daily ration:

_123866621_1200-image_50385409.jpg

"There were 17 different things inside: wheat porridge with beef; rice and meat soup; beef stew; chicken with vegetables; pork and vegetables; crackers; biscuits; tea bags; coffee; blackcurrant drink; honey; sugar; black pepper; chewing gum; bar of dark chocolate; plastic spoons; moist wipes."

And a look into a captured Russian field kitchen: