1.02 patch notes

Bufo

NEW FEATURES

* Slitherine PBEM++ capability has been added. The game engine manual (found in game install directory) details this system on pages 30-31.

QUICK BATTLES

* Adjusted point values of most tanks and tank hunters. Purchase cost was increased by 15-25%, depending on the specific model, with more modern models tending towards the higher end of this range.
* Thermal sights on a vehicle contribute more to raising purchase cost.

VEHICLES AND EQUIPMENT
* Tanks without laser rangefinders are battle sight zero'd to 1200 meters.
* TOWs should now cause major suppressive effects / injuries if fired indoors.
* Fixes to minor artwork issues with BMP-2 / BMP-2K.

TO&E AND FORMATIONS

NOTE: Most of the changes listed here will not be reflected in scenarios created before v1.02, and will only appear in newly created scenario files using v1.02.
* Added x2 rifles with grenade launchers to US Engineer squads.
* Changes to US Infantry Company Weapons Platoon:
    - Weapons Platoon HQ now has x3 men (a platoon XO and a radioman added), and a Jeep with driver.
    - Added a driver to the jeeps of the mortar teams. The jeep also stocks extra mortar ammo now.
    - 60mm Offmap option will now properly have x3 mortars.
    - Weapons Platoon now has the option to use 81mm mortars instead of 60mm mortars.
* US Infantry Battalion Mortar Platoon now has option to be either M29A1 81mm mortars, or off-map M107mm mortars (was previously just 81mm mortars).
* US Bradley Mech Infantry Rifle Company fire support team's Bradley swapped for an M113.
* Added US fire support formations for sections of x3 60mm mortars and x3 81mm mortars.
* Added Soviet 2S3 formations equipped with cluster ammunition.

BUG FIXES

* FIXED: Some minor flaws in the logic that assigns team equipment.
* FIXED: M113 series vehicles were seeing through smoke.
* FIXED: Various crashes.

31 minutes ago, Bufo said:

NOTE: Most of the changes listed here will not be reflected in scenarios created before v1.02, and will only appear in newly created scenario files using v1.02.

I am fairly new here but this seems a bit of a bum statement.

Shouldn't we be expecting the developers to be working to update their original scenarios to keep in line with fixes ad improvements as they are made? 

Seems like a strange thing to admit things needed fixed/improved and then declare that the base game will not have those improvements incorporated.

Or am I missing something?

thanks

1 minute ago, Bagpipe said:

Shouldn't we be expecting the developers to be working to update their original scenarios to keep in line with fixes ad improvements as they are made? 

Seems like a strange thing to admit things needed fixed/improved and then declare that the base game will not have those improvements incorporated.

thanks

I only applies to the TO&E section of the patch notes.

5 minutes ago, Bagpipe said:

thanks

This mostly only applies to TO&E changes that alter the structure of a unit (rather than equipment carried on soldiers).  This is to preserve stability in existing scenarios, and updating a scenario to include structural changes requires "repurchasing" the units, which can entail a pretty extensive rebuild, possibly for only small changes.

Edited by akd

2 hours ago, akd said:

This mostly only applies to TO&E changes that alter the structure of a unit (rather than equipment carried on soldiers).  This is to preserve stability in existing scenarios, and updating a scenario to include structural changes requires "repurchasing" the units, which can entail a pretty extensive rebuild, possibly for only small changes.

I see I see, ok makes sense now that you put it like that. No worries thanks for your help

3 hours ago, IMHO said:
  1. Is it Steam only or it can ba applied to BFC-distributed game as well?
  2. When it goes out? Patch page on battelfront.com does not have it yet.

There will be a Battlefront patch soon. A small adjustment needs to be made to the code. Nothing that affects gameplay but it will need to happen before the patch comes out. We didn't want to delay the scheduled Steam date for it. It wouldn't take long. 

1 minute ago, Bagpipe said:

I see I see, ok makes sense now that you put it like that. No worries thanks for your help

Also, every scenario and every campaign battle have had some new love given to them since the original release. Some it may have been correcting spelling in a briefing. Some had bigger playability changes. But every single battle has had some alteration. All of them. The Battlefront patch will include these. The Steam version already has them.

15 hours ago, Bufo said:

VEHICLES AND EQUIPMENT
* Tanks without laser rangefinders are battle sight zero'd to 1200 meters.

Excuse me, but what should I expect to see in game? So tanks without rangefinders won't attempt stadiametric or coincidence rangefinding, but shoot a round out to 1200m and walk the rounds until they hit the target? Is this going to result in a net increase or decrease in long range accuracy?

It sounds like a choice, but I want some clarification on how this is handled. Thank you.

1 hour ago, arkhangelsk2021 said:

Excuse me, but what should I expect to see in game? So tanks without rangefinders won't attempt stadiametric or coincidence rangefinding, but shoot a round out to 1200m and walk the rounds until they hit the target? Is this going to result in a net increase or decrease in long range accuracy?

It sounds like a choice, but I want some clarification on how this is handled. Thank you.

This is going to make for a faster first shot that is also quite likely to hit (if range is <1600m). And if it is a miss, it is going to be a good reference for the seconds shot that should be hitting.

kg7vwbr.jpg

https://worldoftanks.com/en/news/chieftain/chieftains-hatch-ragefinding/

In the Finnish army all the tanks use battlesight of 1600m to this date. Even thought we have all the modern rangefinders at our disposal. Battlesight is many seconds faster and doesn't give enemy laser warning systems a heads-up.

In Finnish terrain line of sight is always very short. Ranges of 1600m are extremely rare.

Edited by The_MonkeyKing

10 hours ago, arkhangelsk2021 said:

This graph is really good at illustrating it:

8 hours ago, The_MonkeyKing said:

Essentially, it means that as long as the tank and target are stationary, any target that is within 1200m does not need a corrected shot. The gunner just has to put the target in his crosshairs and fire the gun, and the round should hit the target. This is thanks to ballistics. The same principle applies to small arms. Rifles generally have a battle sight of 100m. Within 100m, no outside factors (wind, range, etc) will change the bullets trajectory, so all the shooter has to do is put the crosshairs on the target and the bullet will hit it. 

The T-62 has a battle sight of 1500m thanks to its higher velocity gun. 

This is all done automatically by the TacAI. No player input is required. 

It results in a net increase of accuracy at longer range. 

In my opinion, this is a huge improvement. 

Edited by IICptMillerII

27 minutes ago, IICptMillerII said:

Rifles generally have a battle sight of 100m.

For the AK-47 and it's variants it is 350m (some sources claim 300m, in that case it can happen that it differs for some variants, or the source is wrong maybe), and 400m for the AK-74.

100m seems too short for the 5.56mm Nato rounds as it's trajectory is very flat.

Edited by Bufo

3 hours ago, Bufo said:

For the AK-47 and it's variants it is 350m

The procedure for zeroing AKM and AK-74:

• Sighting target is placed at 100m
  • The gun sight is set at 3 (300m)
  • The gun is aimed at the appropriate line below the center of target to compensate for the sighting distance of 300m

Overall it gives you an aim with no vertical adjustment if the sight is set at "П" - прямой выстрел / direct shot. 300-450m is the distance at which you can shoot at the center of the mass and still the vertical drop will be no bigger than the size of a human figure.

image130.jpg

Edited by IMHO

I think we can assume a shooter using the 1200 auto zero isn't waiting for a computing solution if the target is rougly 1200 if it needs to shoot 'now',  but I'm assuming the TAC AI will wait for the computed solution for other ranges to save a shell and reload time when the target is likely to be missed.  

8 minutes ago, THH149 said:

I think we can assume a shooter using the 1200 auto zero isn't waiting for a computing solution if the target is rougly 1200 if it needs to shoot 'now',  but I'm assuming the TAC AI will wait for the computed solution for other ranges to save a shell and reload time when the target is likely to be missed.  

There is no computer solution. Battle sight zero is designed to allow the gunner to target and engage an enemy as fast as possible, without having to do manual gunnery. If the target is outside of battle sight zero, then you have to "walk" your shots onto the target. 

To be more clear: if a target is placed in the crosshairs, it does not matter what range the target as at, as long as it is 1200m or less. If the target is at 200m, the crosshairs will still aim true. Just as if the target is at 1200m. That is the entire point of battle sight zero. It is a simple zero. Put the crosshair on the target and you should hit it. 

Edited by IICptMillerII

On 11/16/2021 at 8:53 PM, BFCElvis said:

There will be a Battlefront patch soon. A small adjustment needs to be made to the code. Nothing that affects gameplay but it will need to happen before the patch comes out. We didn't want to delay the scheduled Steam date for it. It wouldn't take long. 

Going forward, will i better to install steam and remove standalone or stick with standalone. In terms of which version will get the updates first. I assume once the code change is done they will both be updated at the same time regardless?

1 hour ago, Bagpipe said:

Going forward, will i better to install steam and remove standalone or stick with standalone. In terms of which version will get the updates first. I assume once the code change is done they will both be updated at the same time regardless?

The updates should all come out at roughly the same time. Might be a day or two difference, but really it's more a case of whether you like to use Steam and enjoy the automatic updates, than who gets it first. 

Dave

1 hour ago, Ultradave said:

The updates should all come out at roughly the same time. Might be a day or two difference, but really it's more a case of whether you like to use Steam and enjoy the automatic updates, than who gets it first. 

Dave

Yeah I use steam for most of my games anyways so will prob port across now. Auto updates are very useful

EDIT: Does anybody know if the two versions use the same documents folder for saved games? I am not that far into my current campaign so probably not too big a deal if the versions conflict. Infact I may just start completely afresh, why not 

Edited by Bagpipe

1 hour ago, Bagpipe said:

Yeah I use steam for most of my games anyways so will prob port across now. Auto updates are very useful

EDIT: Does anybody know if the two versions use the same documents folder for saved games? I am not that far into my current campaign so probably not too big a deal if the versions conflict. Infact I may just start completely afresh, why not 

No. The saved games folder for the Steam version is in: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Combat Mission Cold War\Game Files\Saved Games

So, it's a little deeper in your system than the Battlefront version.