CMCW on steam and Matrix/Slitherine PBEM system

Fizou

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, ratdeath said:

My guess is that they will just release it on steam when it's ready, no more broken "promises" :)

I sure hope so.

10 hours ago, ratdeath said:

Hopefully more CM families can make their way onto Steam (with PBEM++) when CMCW's problems has been solved.

I am pretty sure that is the plan.

20 hours ago, Fizou said:

Anything?

The most recent post that I made on the subject was this:

Not much has changed since then. But, if you missed that post this is a chance to check out the mechanics of things.

I should have more release date information in the next few days. Maybe Monday or Tuesday, if not by the weekend. 

13 hours ago, ratdeath said:

My guess is that they will just release it on steam when it's ready, no more broken "promises" :)

Hopefully more CM families can make their way onto Steam (with PBEM++) when CMCW's problems has been solved.

Correct and correct.

The release date for Steam will be a specific date. That is how Slitherine/Matrix marketing works for Steam. Here at Battlefront we can (and do) release as soon as something is finished. A final build becomes available, everyone tests the installer to make sure it works and BOOM. We pump it out. Steam releases are on a time table. They are scheduled. So, unless something very unexpected comes up we'll know the date.

Yes, the plan is to release all Combat Mission titles with PBEM+++. A Steam release will likely be done quarterly. The release following Cold War will be Battle for Normandy. 

16 hours ago, Redwolf said:

@BFCElvisElvis, is it still the case that PBEM++ is a standalone patch with no other fixes (for CMCW)?

No. At least we hope not.

My comments on that before were not meant to imply that there wouldn't be other things in the patch that brings PBEM+++. It was that the non-PBEM+++ things weren't in the PBEM+++ builds yet. The hope/plan is (and always has been) to have the PBEM+++ patch include other fixes as well.

The other part of what I said was that there wasn't going to be patch with fixes before a PBEM+++ patch. 

Those are the plans...........

1 hour ago, BFCElvis said:

No. At least we hope not.

My comments on that before were not meant to imply that there wouldn't be other things in the patch that brings PBEM+++. It was that the non-PBEM+++ things weren't in the PBEM+++ builds yet. The hope/plan is (and always has been) to have the PBEM+++ patch include other fixes as well.

The other part of what I said was that there wasn't going to be patch with fixes before a PBEM+++ patch. 

Those are the plans...........

Ah, thanks for the update. I had misunderstood.

@BFCElvis, thanks for all the updates. I couldn't wait any more and purchased CM:CW direct from Battlefront while I wait for the Steam version and I don't regret it.  Great game.

In the prior messages you referred several time to PBEM+++ (notice the third +). Was that a mistype or is this a new/updated PBEM system?

Thanks and please keep up the good work.

4 hours ago, Bannon said:

In the prior messages you referred several time to PBEM+++ (notice the third +). Was that a mistype or is this a new/updated PBEM system?

Yeah it's a weird name. Yes, it is a new system. They are hooking into the Slytherin PBME lobby system. For BFC it is the third iteration of PBME, first was the CM1 games then the CM2 games and now the Slytherine lobby. Yes, the current CM2 PBME will still work - so I have been told.

25 minutes ago, IanL said:

Really, you want them to ship it if it still has major problems? I get it we all want it but fixating on some specific date isn't really magical. So, personally I'd rather it work than be released.

I was more coming from the angle that if they have announced it publicly it is a firm date (based on Elvis's recent post too). I am one of the many that would rather it work than be released. 

10 hours ago, IanL said:

Yeah it's a weird name. Yes, it is a new system. They are hooking into the Slytherin PBME lobby system. For BFC it is the third iteration of PBME, first was the CM1 games then the CM2 games and now the Slytherine lobby. Yes, the current CM2 PBME will still work - so I have been told.

No, it is not a new system at all, it is only new to those who never looked outside the CM bubble. It is called PBEM++ (with 2 plusses), but Elvis wrote it with 3, so the question was if this already existing PBEM system going to change and get a third plus sign in its name to reflect that, or if it was only a typo from him.

1 hour ago, Bufo said:

No, it is not a new system at all, it is only new to those who never looked outside the CM bubble. It is called PBEM++ (with 2 plusses), but Elvis wrote it with 3, so the question was if this already existing PBEM system going to change and get a third plus sign in its name to reflect that, or if it was only a typo from him.

No. It is called PBEM+++ (with three pluses) because it is a revised version of the Slitherine PBEM system. The reason is because Slitherine has to rework their existing system to accommodate the larger file sizes CM save files are. There is no reason to be such an ass either. 

On 10/29/2021 at 2:13 AM, Bufo said:

........ It is called PBEM++ (with 2 plusses), but Elvis wrote it with 3, so the question was if this already existing PBEM system going to change and get a third plus sign in its name to reflect that, or if it was only a typo from him.

It is ironic that you say this. It is actually PBEM+++..........But that isn't what you'll see displayed in the game. What I wrote wasn't a typo. 

On 10/31/2021 at 1:12 AM, BFCElvis said:

It is ironic that you say this. It is actually PBEM+++..........But that isn't what you'll see displayed in the game. What I wrote wasn't a typo. 

The plot thickens (or is it the fog?).  So, 'not for nuttin' means it comes at a cost?  I've been on Steam for a long while, but have not partaken of PBEM there, so please forgive my ignorance.

30 minutes ago, Vacilllator said:

The plot thickens (or is it the fog?).  So, 'not for nuttin' means it comes at a cost?  I've been on Steam for a long while, but have not partaken of PBEM there, so please forgive my ignorance.

Your question doesn't really make sense.  Not for nuttin was a gentle reminder from Elvis to IanL that since Ian is a beta tester he can play around with PBEM+++ and help squash bugs if he wants to know more about it.  The PBEM+++ is a Slitherine thing, but it would be added to the game for Steam Release.  The PBEM system is not Steam's but Slitherines.

This is based on nothin' at all, but I wonder if someone at BFC/Slitherine figured since they missed their initial Cold War release window they might as well pace out work on PBEM+++ so everything would be ready for the holiday season release window. I recall there was some surprise CMRT Fire and Rubble module and Cold War had been released so close together. Again, this is based on nothin', just conjecture. I haven't heard so much as murmured whispers on this while riding the corporate HQ elevator ;)

3 hours ago, MikeyD said:

This is based on nothin' at all, but I wonder if someone at BFC/Slitherine figured since they missed their initial Cold War release window they might as well pace out work on PBEM+++ so everything would be ready for the holiday season release window. I recall there was some surprise CMRT Fire and Rubble module and Cold War had been released so close together. Again, this is based on nothin', just conjecture. I haven't heard so much as murmured whispers on this while riding the corporate HQ elevator ;)

You get an elevator? I should be so lucky… Just a 5 story walk up, both ways. 

H