Assuming you ever get tired of war, what do you play?

markshot

At the moment, I am playing City Skylines.  I am only an average player, but use a long list of mods.  But I am always amazed what the truly gifted can create in this game.  I am doing my first Winter city.  I moved from some place where it always snows to never snows.  So, now it is is quite scenic!  :)

I have some older rail games.  RTD/RT2/RT3 but I have not played for a while.

Also, I like VP4 (Virtual Pool 4) ... talk about physics modeling!  Pool is great.  You don't have to study the table an hour before taking your shot.

Just in the past few months

Elite Dangerous, Cyberpunk, Falcon 4 BMS, Europa Universalis 4, Divinity Original Sin 1 & 2,  Outer Wilds, Outer Worlds, Borderlands 3, Super Mega Baseball 3, Football Manager, F1 2020, Warhammer 2, Frost Punk, Black Mesa, GTA 5,  Sniper Ghost Warrior Contracts, Prey, Hitman 2 and probably several more that escape me at the mo.

So yeah, I don't do much gaming these days :D

Edited by landser

Truly a hopeless crowd.  :)

EU4 is a war game; yes grand strategy, but a war game.

Yes, chess is an abstract war game.

I had Transport Fever 2 loaded for a while.  A fantastically beautiful game, but if you ever played OTTD (Open Transport Tycoon Deluxe), then you realize TPF1/2 is totally lacking in an junction/switching networking.  This is the heart of a rail game is you are not playing the business side.

My only criticism of City Skylines is that:  (1)  It is not really a city simulator.  There are many alternative organizations being tried across globe than cannot work in that game.  (2) It is a utopian world more or less.  SC4 did a better job covering class and poverty.  --- It is a beautify game and wonderfully supported by the community.

carpentry-  oh wait did you limit it to games?  I used to play Skyrim and fallout, but haven't touched those in a long time.  Mostly editing some stuff in Tiller's games to get them down to platoon size units, but that is only to facilitate CM campaigns.  😛 

Edited by sburke

I never get tired of war, but I do occasionally get tired of Combat Mission.

Got a campaign going in Hearts of Iron 4, playing a co-op with a buddy in Total War: Atilla, have another campaign with a buddy and my younger brother in Stellaris, I got sucked into the rather fantastical time sink of Conqueror's Blade, I play Airport Madness 3D when I need to kill fifteen minutes, I'm still in the middle of single-player games in Battlefleet Gothic: Armada, Battlestar Galactica Deadlock, Darkest Dungeon, DiRT Rally 2.0, Kerbal Space Program, Motorsport Manager, Prison Architect, Silent Hunter: Wolves of the Pacific, Star Wars Empire at War, Take Command - 2nd Manassas, Ultimate Admiral: Age of Sail, Warhammer 40,000: Armageddon, and Xenonauts.

Needless to say, I start a lot of games I don't finish, then a year later I remember I have a save game waiting and I'll fire it back up again.

Erwin, I've played a lot of War in the East, the grand campaign. One of the best war games ever in my view. I have not play WitP as it seems even more micro, it's an earlier release lacking some of the QoL improvements they put in WitE. But I know it's a good game. I've intended to get WitWest but never got around to pulling the trigger.

Ripper, good list and I've played several of those. Motorsport Manager is a gem. I got it on sale for 8 dollars then proceeded to drop 300 hours in to it, taking my team from the very bottom to a World Championship. Good stuff.

I have a SH4 Trigger Maru campaign going now, and just played one recently in Operation Monsun (German Boats in SH4).

Edited by landser

44 minutes ago, landser said:

I have a SH4 Trigger Maru campaign going now, and just played one recently in Operation Monsun (German Boats in SH4).

I play GFO mod myself. I found the total conversions a bit intimidating after some time spent with GWX in SHIII.
Still some of the most amazing gameplay I have ever experienced, but I found a few more grey hairs after I was finished.

12 hours ago, landser said:

I've played a lot of War in the East, the grand campaign. One of the best war games ever in my view. I have not play WitP as it seems even more micro, it's an earlier release lacking some of the QoL improvements they put in WitE. But I know it's a good game. I've intended to get WitWest but never got around to pulling the trigger.

WITE was fun some years ago, but I wouldn't want to play it again.  I found one could beat the AI fairly easily.  I recall that the Russians did much better if the focused production on KV's rather than T-34's - according to the game the KV's were a much better bang for the buck.  Looked at WITW but it seemed to be more of an aerial war game with very complex rules for air combat and bombardment rather than ground combat.  

WITPAE is outstanding as one gets every squadron and every ship and every ground unit that was in the theatre.  There is no doubt that the Allies (US) will "win"... eventually.  The US has so much more production capability.   The object being can the Japs hold out longer than historically, or can the US player win quicker.  Very steep learning curve.  But, very rewarding.

On 2/17/2021 at 4:08 AM, General Jack Ripper said:

after some time spent with GWX in SHIII.

Grey Wolves was (and is) an amazing transformation.  I chanced across it looking for a realistic flag 😁 - how lucky was I? 

Sadly I have none of it or SH3 installed on this PC or I'd be tempted to fire it up again.  Life is too short...

I do have War in the East however, which I have not spent more than 1 hour on so far and may never get round to it at this rate.

Edited by Vacilllator

I was a long time SH3 player. Hell, for that matter a long time SH2 player, especially Pacific Aces. Ha, but after SH4 mods started hitting the sealanes I switched over. Mods like Grey Wolves are excellent, but at that time (maybe it's been streamlined since then) the install process was wicked. Mods like Real Fleet Boat, Trigger Maru and Operation Monsun give me just what I'm looking for and the installs are a breeze, especially with JSGME. A few clicks and I can switch from say USS Guardfish, my current boat, near the Marianas, to U-46 in the western approaches to Gibraltar.

Trigger Maru Overhauled 2.5 raises the difficulty, increases the realism and gives me a better experience. I play with all boxes checked, aside from map contact updates. Manual targeting, no externals, and well, the way sub sims should be played in my view. If anyone is bored and is looking for some reading material, here is my most recent AAR, this one in command of a Type VIIB in OM.

The War Patrols of U-46 @ SimHQ

Edited by landser

11 hours ago, landser said:

Manual targeting, no externals, and well, the way sub sims should be played in my view.

Call me a heretic if you like, but my view is that I'm the Captain, and the aiming of the torpedoes is the job of the Weapons Officer. :D

It's my job to tell him WHAT and WHEN to shoot, it's his job to figure out HOW^_^

Greetings from the USS Narwhal.

Edited by General Jack Ripper
I don't remember how to attach images.