Assuming you ever get tired of war, what do you play?

markshot

I have found myself hovering towards big open world role playing games this last year... I guess it is my yearning for travelling:

- Skyrim "Definitive" Edition

- Red Dead Redemption 2

- Cyberpunk 2077

Yakuza: Like a Dragon got very good reviews, but the surreal sense of humour in it may not be your cup of tea.

I also like playing party based RPGs, looking forward to Baldur's Gate 3.

Bridge works, but difficult to find like minded players. Chess works too. What else? Backgammon is fine with the doubling die. They all can be played online. Flight Sim is also a favorite especially siming a flight home from Turks and Caicos or Las Vegas where in these places, virtual goes out the window. 

On 2/23/2021 at 3:54 AM, markshot said:

Very funny.

I ask for a list of non war games you folks play, and I get a list of non-Battlefront war games you folks play.

I listed about twenty games, and you picked out one, EU IV, and that's a stretch to call it a war game.  It's grand strategy, by my definition.

Falcon 4 has a war in it, so a war game, or flight sim? Silent Hunter, which I didn't list in the first post, is it a war game, or sub sim? I think your definition of war game is broader than mine.

OK, went back and read it and you only said tired of war, not non-war game, so yeah, some of those have war, fair enough.

Edited by landser

Once I finish battle #16 in Highland Games, hopefully this weekend, I'll probably take a short CM break to play FOG:Empires.  I got the Persia DLC many many months ago but haven't touched it due to CM and lack of sufficient time.  Regular FOG is OK, but would be amazing if it were WEGO.  I don't like IGOUGO turn based tactical very much, it's just too 'stiff'.

Maybe we need a CM:Ancients someday.

On 2/25/2021 at 5:26 PM, danfrodo said:

Maybe we need a CM:Ancients someday.

I'd buy that for a few dollars.  CM:Rome, Carthage, Egypt etc.  It might get a bit like Total War but would be a lot better.

Anyway, that's still war, so not allowed in this thread.  Game-wise I'm a bit stumped, but I play music quite a bit - does that count?

I consider grand strategy and 4X Sci-Fi as war.  (They are games which simulate conflict, death, and destruction ... even if you choose to play relatively non-aggressive.)

Let's say sports are not war provided that the intentional killing or maiming of your adversary is considered against the rules.  So, boxing, American football ... all fall under non-war games.

I loved F1 racing years ago.  Some people find FPS games very tense (I loved the original Ghost Recon), but you can always chill for a few minutes.  But racing requires full attention for the entire length of the simulated race.  It is the most tense video gaming I know.

The CM games are great.  And 90% of my games are war games, since I find it makes the best gaming.

I like City Skylines as it poses many interesting problems in optimizing things.  Also, not me, but the things artistically gifted people build with it are truly amazing.  I have to admit that I am a real engineering type with no artistic talent.  War games come much closer to engineering than City Skylines.

• 3 weeks later...

“Men grow tired of sleep, love, singing and dancing, sooner than war.”  

As a full-time musician i have to say: hell, yeah! :) 

Non-war games? Puh...i like some "easy to go"-games. "loophero" is as great as the letsplayers on youtube say. "divinity2" is really great fun in a group of three. my guitar students celebrate "crypt of the necrodancer". you have to press the keys very skillfully in rhythm and you can even do this to music you choose yourself. 

"faster than light" is a really well done little game, roguelike and set in space. "opus magnum" is probably the most innovative game i've discovered in the last few years. it's a puzzle game where you create alchemical products by building and programming machines. the survival game hype didn't pass me by, the theme is exciting but unfortunately a lot of these titles get lost in crafting micromanagement. there are so many nice games out there. when i'm not playing cm i also like to sit in front of the computer with my guitar, doing finger exercises and watching well-made letsplays. ;)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I bought several non-war games during lockdown, but have played them very little. Until recently I'd lost interest in gaming, strangely.

I rejoined an online D&D game called Rome with Magic (yes, it's that on the nose), where we are secret investigators for the Emperor tasked with covert missions. Although there seems to be an awful lot of fighting. I got given a pre-genned Bard, which I don't think I've played before and am loving it - he's a pretentious muso so gets to wind the other players up. He keeps telling them that the Cithara (=guitar) is a newfangled fad that will never catch on.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Resurrecting an old thread here.

As I mentioned in another thread recently, I'm addicted to making houses for Sims 2, and have been for many years. I don't actually play the game much, I just love making houses for it. Many players - certainly not all, but many - consider Sims 2 to still be the best iteration of the series and it remains popular.

I originally got the game when it was first released, back in 2004, and then bought a couple of expansions. But at that time, I was frustrated by the limited building options and sold the stuff on Ebay a year or so later.

Electronic Arts stopped development and support for the game in 2009, and a couple of years later I decided to acquire the entire set, especially since many desirable building options had been added by the several expansions over the years. I got all the discs cheaply, for about $150 total, and have been making Lots (houses) ever since. Nowadays, I play using a downloadable, no CD version of the game, since Win10 won't recognize some of my old DVD's because of the Securom copy protection that was put on them for a number of years during the mid 2000's.

All of my Lot uploads going back several years can be found here. I have quite a few more besides these, but they are in various stages of completion. Unlike many prolific Lot builders for this game, I do not build primarily for aesthetics, but for functionality first. Everything on a Lot has to actually work, or there's no point in making it for the game, imo. Some Lot builders can't resist the temptation to create fancy looking designs that unfortunately often include things that aren't playable, and I don't do that. I strive to achieve functionality, realism, and aesthetics in all my builds.

I feel compelled to add one final thing in regard to the Sims franchise. The online so-called "Community" for these games are easily the nastiest, most moronic bunch of cretans I've encountered in 40 years of computer gaming. Specifically and among other things, they seem to think that they actually have ownership rights to the custom material they create and upload. I do think that the Sims games, in particular Sims 2, is being used by certain small segments of the game-playing public to promote their depraved social and political agendas. And that's all I'll say about that here.

I also sometimes still play the old Railroad Tycoon II Platinum edition game, which was the best iteration of that series. Great game.

I also still play the old Civilization III game (GoG Complete version). I never progressed past Civ3 because starting with Civ4 they made mountains impassable - I mean, impassable for the duration of the game. Considering the map scales of these games, that is ridiculous and in no way even remotely realistic - and thus a complete game breaker for me. I tried Civ4 a couple of years ago for a couple of months, and liked everything about it - except the impassable mountains, which killed it for me. I guess the Civ series might be considered wargames, or at least 4X games.

Since finally switching from Win7 to Win10 recently, those two or three are the only non-wargames currently on my harddrive (although the old, original CMx1 trio of games are also the only wargames I have currently installed - but I haven't actually played those in years. I also have the CMA and CMBS demos installed, which I should try playing one of these days).

Some years ago, used to love playing online pool at the old Pogo site. Pogo still exists, but they gradually got rid of all their good games over the years, and I never go there anymore. I spent hours playing pool there, it was great.

Hey, markshot, it occurs to me that we have similar tastes - railroad games and pool, specifically. I also need to reinstall SimCity 4. Haven't tried that newer city building game you mentioned, although I've heard good things about it and it's made by the same guy that made the SimCity series.

Edited by Rob2020
The Swiss must've been pretty confident in their chances of victory if they included a corkscrew in their army knife.