Ukraine purchases/ed Javelin missile system. More to come?

John Kettler

8 hours ago, danfrodo said:

Really glad to see that, thanks for sharing.  Having to face lots of stingers & javelins would definitely make me think twice about invading someone. 

Stingers it's good, but we critically need in modern SAM and missile defense systems. Also we need modern SAM system for ground forces. For example, since Russia modernized in previous year own Orlan-10 UAVs with flight height in 5550 m, our SA-13 and even SA-8s, which cover brigades  can't reach it.

4 minutes ago, Artkin said:

Yeah a consistent flow of information can be a huge issue. 

US is doing recce flights along the Crimea coast and Donbass LoC almost every day. Both UAVs and piloted planes. Sometimes planes of other NATO countries join them as well.

Edited by IMHO

@Haiduk

The news over here keeps screaming that the invasion is imminent but I keep looking at the Ukrainian weather for the next 10 days and it's awful warm.  I'm still HOPING you are right and he's going to back down.

What is it looking like on the ground?  Oh and stay safe!

Edited by Phantom Captain

55 minutes ago, IMHO said:

I'm saying Ukraine has this flow.

I doubt we can access to all information, which these planes are gathering. US, of course shares some information, but didn't give all picture.

4 hours ago, Phantom Captain said:

What is it looking like on the ground? Oh and stay safe!

Maybe like that :)

Зображення

I'm in Kyiv and here enough quet. No panic, no assaults of supermarkets, no hordes of people in airports. Though oligarchs and many large businessmen flew away by private jets several days ago.

Many western journalists came to Ukraine, especially to OOS zone on eve of "doomsday", but they are dissappointed and bored. They had to film reportages about scary, panic, empty stores, troops movement and pathos patriotic speeches of UKR troopers, which wiould go soon to their last stand. But... nothing of that. 7 years of war... People acustomed to such situation, especially close to frontine.   

Edited by Haiduk

1 hour ago, Haiduk said:

I doubt we can access to all information, which these planes are gathering. US, of course shares some information, but didn't give all picture.

Maybe like that :)

Зображення

I'm in Kyiv and here enough quet. No panic, no assaults of supermarkets, no hordes of people in airports. Though oligarchs and many large businessmen flew away by private jets several days ago.

Many western journalists came to Ukraine, especially to OOS zone on eve of "doomsday", but they are dissappointed and bored. They had to film reportages about scary, panic, empty stores, troops movement and pathos patriotic speeches of UKR troopers, which wiould go soon to their last stand. But... nothing of that. 7 years of war... People acustomed to such situation, especially close to frontine.   

What do you think of all the war news in western media? Is it as serious as they say it is or overblown?

Estonia delivered new party of Javelins. Reportedly this Baltic country decided to give us 1/3 of their Javelin stockpile.

Естонія передала Україні ПТРК Джавеліни

22 hours ago, Simcoe said:

What do you think of all the war news in western media? Is it as serious as they say it is or overblown?

You can open new topic for this :) Let here will be only about new toys for Ukrainian army. 

If in short, all what is going on last two days on Donbas is a new act of Putin's show "to force Ukraine to direct negotiations with "republics" with backgroud repeated demands to USA&NATO about "withdrawal to 1997 lines and security guarantees". We keep calm as tough as possible, But probably this is not apogee. Putin likes symbolic datas. Let's see 20th Feb (Maidan victory, Crimea operation) and 23th Feb (Soviet army day). 

2 hours ago, Haiduk said:

Estonia delivered new party of Javelins. Reportedly this Baltic country decided to give us 1/3 of their Javelin stockpile.

Естонія передала Україні ПТРК Джавеліни

You can open new topic for this :) Let here will be only about new toys for Ukrainian army. 

If in short, all what is going on last two days on Donbas is a new act of Putin's show "to force Ukraine to direct negotiations with "republics" with backgroud repeated demands to USA&NATO about "withdrawal to 1997 lines and security guarantees". We keep calm as tough as possible, But probably this is not apogee. Putin likes symbolic datas. Let's see 20th Feb (Maidan victory, Crimea operation) and 23th Feb (Soviet army day). 

Thank you for the update. It sounds pretty serious. 

40 minutes ago, ncc1701e said:

Is the goal to bring these new toys inside the incoming module for UKR?

Black Sea is limited to 2017, so, alas no. But some new toys you will get 100 % :) 

Canadian plane delivered rifles, machine-guns, night vision devices, surveillance devices

Зображення

Edited by Haiduk

Among the weapon in this shipment, Canada delivered rifles Cadex Defense .338 and .50

There is one problem. For the years we accumulated hudge zoo of sniper rifles of different manufacturers and calibers, but we hadn't special miliary use bullets for them (I hope now situation is other) and amount of rifles, with a caliber higher of .308 is much more than number of snipers, which can properly use them...

Also Netherlands have to deliver soon 100 rifles Accuracy International.

Зображення

Edited by Haiduk

On 2/18/2022 at 3:15 PM, Haiduk said:

Putin likes symbolic datas. Let's see 20th Feb (Maidan victory, Crimea operation) and 23th Feb (Soviet army day). 

How much of a role do you think the warm weather is playing in this situation?  It has been 40 & 50 degrees Fahrenheit.  There was even some rain a few days ago.  Frozen ground would be better for a quick advance.  Vehicles would not be as dependent on improved roads.  Especially the follow on logistic vehicles. 

A decision may have to be made.  Fight in the mud, risk bogging down, and lose the ability for a quick, short blitzkrieg type war.   Or go home?  What's your opinion? 

Also I was curious about defensive measures.  Just in broad general terms.  I've really not seen anything on the news about this.  I would think that the Ukrainians would have mobilized every piece of construction equipment in the country.  Both government and private equipment.  Digging anti-tank ditches, blowing bridges and preparing other bridges to be quickly blown, obstacle belts etc.  Anything, in broad general terms, you can talk about?