CMRT Module 1 Bones

Excuse me for mentioning a non-grognard RTS game BUT,  Steel Division 2 (operation Bagration) is a lot of fun.  It manages to throw enough "semi-realistic" attributes to keep ones interest.  I am enjoying the Army General portion of the solo game.  Passes the time between Combat Mission releases!  

I'll duck now and prepare to be YELLED AT. 

1 hour ago, 76mm said:

I have zero interest in modern warfare so have not bought CMBS or SF2.  I have bought most of the WWII content to support Battlefront, but don't actually play anything other than CMRT.  

Yeah, that is a tough spot to be in - a long wait. Those of us that play any WW2 game have lots to play and those of us that do modern too are crazy busy and have lots of content.

Branch out man - join the party :)

33 minutes ago, HARI SELDON said:

Excuse me for mentioning a non-grognard RTS game BUT,  Steel Division 2 (operation Bagration) is a lot of fun.

Thanks for the suggestion, I will take a look.  At this point not demanding super-realism, although I'm not really a fan of RTS.

41 minutes ago, 76mm said:

Thanks for the suggestion, I will take a look.  At this point not demanding super-realism, although I'm not really a fan of RTS.

My favorite part of Steel Division 2 is the Army General turn based operational level (battalion level units) battles can be fought in super detail (RTS mode) tactical mode with individual tanks, squads, planes, and artillery pieces OR skip the detailed battles and have the battalion stats determine the outcome of the battle.  Not typical RTS as commanders and leaders lend support to the units and ranged fire is taken into account.  All in all, this game is a pleasant surprise.

As an old hex and counter wargamer, I asked the developer on the Steam Board to slow down the RTS speed.  I cannot take a click fest.  The developer asked me what speed I would be comfortable playing the game - I asked for .33 of normal speed.  Hope they institute it in the game.  That would make it palatable  to wargamers.

Edited by HARI SELDON

2 hours ago, BFCElvis said:

Maybe. 

(Sorry...that is as official and truthful of an answer as is available at this time)

I understand. Lost my temper somewhat. Sorry about that. My comments were too harsh of course.

Waiting is one thing, but indifferent, hostile remarks are really getting on my nerves. So no guarantees for 2019. Not what I was hoping to hear. We're already waiting for such a long time, that it's frustrating  to notice that there's still no firm ETA. Or even light at the end of the tunnel.

1 minute ago, Aragorn2002 said:

I understand. Lost my temper somewhat. Sorry about that. My comments were too harsh of course.

Waiting is one thing, but indifferent, hostile remarks are really getting on my nerves. So no guarantees for 2019. Not what I was hoping to hear. We're already waiting for such a long time, that it's frustrating  to notice that there's still no firm ETA. Or even light at the end of the tunnel.

I can dig it. The plan/hope is by years end. But I'd hate to say that and then you have quote me on January 1st if it doesn't happen.

One thing I'd like for you to bear in mind through the frustration is trying to remember that we want it released as quickly as you do. It serves no purpose to sit on things and not release them. And one thing that we bear in mind/appreciate is your passion for what we make. We'd rather see that than indifference. 

I've not tried Steel Division 2 so this may not apply to it but some wargames while super detailed in many regards do not offer realistic recreations of what they are trying to represent. The theory seems to be if one can micromanage many aspects of an event one will get realistic outcomes.

56 minutes ago, BFCElvis said:

We'd rather see that than indifference. 

I understand, but I hope that you can appreciate that with what looks to be six years between the release of a base game and the first module for it...well, it might be a bit optimistic to hope for much beyond borderline indifference.

As I've said, I will certainly buy it, but my reaction is more likely to be "meh, it's about **** time" rather than "YIPPEEE" (or "URAAAAH" as the case might be).

Honestly, Battlefront seems stretched too thin.  In the several years since CMRT came out, I would have gladly bought any number (3? 6? 10?) of modules, vehicle packs, etc) that Battlefront brought out.*  I'm fully aware that Battlefront is a very small team, but I really hope that they are taking a hard look at how to take advantage of additional outside resources to increase output.  Some products could have been sold (vehicle packs, maybe some Hungarians/Romanians, etc) without requiring any additional coding (AFAIK), and the player community has demonstrated their dedication and talent with artwork, etc. time and again--seems like they could be enlisted?  Instead, it seems like CMRT has been left to slowly wither on the vine...

*Note that I probably would not buy packages solely consisting of scenarios or maps.

Edited by 76mm

16 minutes ago, 76mm said:

*Note that I probably would not buy packages solely consisting of scenarios or maps.

I really enjoyed the battle pack for CMBN - I would buy scenarios and maps for any of the WWII games (still working my way through the modern stuff).

OK, I'd actually probably buy maps as well 😇, but not scenarios!  I usually don't even play the scenarios that come with the game, I make up my own little skirmishes using existing maps.

1 hour ago, BFCElvis said:

I can dig it. The plan/hope is by years end. But I'd hate to say that and then you have quote me on January 1st if it doesn't happen.

One thing I'd like for you to bear in mind through the frustration is trying to remember that we want it released as quickly as you do. It serves no purpose to sit on things and not release them. And one thing that we bear in mind/appreciate is your passion for what we make. We'd rather see that than indifference. 

I appreciate the honesty of your answer and I know that it works that way. But give us at least some screenshots from time to time. A couple of them per month would already give the community something to hold on to. At least we will know and SEE there's progress. Make sure it looks good and the whole community will be delighted and happy for months. Well, at least the vast majority of this community, including myself. Make the waiting more bearable. Yes, we are passionate about what you guys are making. For me CM is pure magic. An addiction. Supply your junkies. 

Edited by Aragorn2002

8 hours ago, Aragorn2002 said:

I am, of course, talking about the new module for cmrt...

I think Elvis was trying to be funny reference the CM addiction.  Drug dealers (in the US anyways) will sometimes give potential customers a free "sample" to get them hooked on the product.  It is a saying in some of the street sub cultures "first ones free".  So the free demo gets you hooked on the CM product ................. :D  :lol:.  See what he did there? :) 

12 minutes ago, MOS:96B2P said:

I think Elvis was trying to be funny reference the CM addiction.  Drug dealers (in the US anyways) will sometimes give potential customers a free "sample" to get them hooked on the product. 

But of course that marketing tactic works best if you then proceed to actually offer product for the client to purchase on a regular basis, rather than waiting six years between doses!

Just sayin'...

Edited by 76mm

5 minutes ago, 76mm said:

But of course that marketing tactic works best if you then proceed to actually offer product

:D  True dat (from the hit HBO series, "The Wire").  I know I buy all the product BF slings on the street corners.  I'm getting the shakes just thinking about it.  And yes, I also wish they would sling faster............. :D 

18 minutes ago, MOS:96B2P said:

I think Elvis was trying to be funny reference the CM addiction.  Drug dealers (in the US anyways) will sometimes give potential customers a free "sample" to get them hooked on the product.  It is a saying in some of the street sub cultures "first ones free".  So the free demo gets you hooked on the CM product ................. :D  :lol:.  See what he did there? :) 

Correct..and I'll add that a single "dose" is commonly referred to as a "hit". Which explains "the first hit is free". 

25 minutes ago, MOS:96B2P said:

:D  True dat (from the hit HBO series, "The Wire").  I know I buy all the product BF slings on the street corners.  I'm getting the shakes just thinking about it.  And yes, I also wish they would sling faster............. :D 

I bought the book for that series!  I use it to decipher cryptic messages from Steve and also to get used to the behavior of junkies. 

3 hours ago, MOS:96B2P said:

😀

Just now, Aragorn2002 said:

Sometimes it's hard to understand English, if it ain't your native language. 🙂

This is true.  Having said that I must repeat what I've said in the past.  You, @Bulletpoint and several others speak / understand English better than some native English speakers.  Until you advised otherwise, on some post, I had always assumed you were a native English speaker that had relocated to the Netherlands for work or something.  Very impressive.  If you are not already an interpreter of some sort I'm sure you could get a job as one and do very well at it.