What other WW2 games do you guys play

On 08/09/2016 at 6:18 PM, ironcross13 said:

Not heard of Decisive Campaigns Barbarossa, Command Ops 2, or  Tigers Unleashed. 

Are they good games

Well, I'd say Command Ops 2 is a very good game (haven't played the other two).  It's a real-time game played on a 2-d map, with the units represented by counters.  That sounds a bit dry, but it's the way your units react to your orders which makes it interesting - they take time to get them, process them, and then act on them, so you have to factor that delay into your planning.  The game's other selling point is that your AI subordinates can make their own plans of attack, which allows you to play as a proper on-map "boss".  By this I mean you concoct a general plan, select points of assault, lines of defence, etc, but have to rely on others to do the detail.  Of course, this sometimes means that the game can seem to be playing by itself (and you can choose to micromanage if you want more control), but it does give a different flavour of command.  And there's a free demo, so it's worth a look.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DC Barbarossa (Matrix) is a very innovative (East Front) computer game in that, while it seems to be similar to the previous conventional operational-strategic games in the Decisive Campaigns series, this new version is also a role playing game(!)  You are put in charge of many of the logistics issues that require you to maintain good relationships with both subordinates and superiors (including Der Fuhrer).  You have to make difficult decisions that may please or displease these other commanders, who in turn can help or hinder what you are trying to accomplish.  Highly recommended.  I hope the developers continue to improve this aspect of their system.

• 2 weeks later...

That does sound fascinating

I hope they develop it further as well. A ww2 wargame that had a heavy rpg element in a campaign could be amazing if done right and also realistic for a field grade officer to survive multiple battles etc ( as opposed to role playing a leutnant where you.d last...a month)

What other PC games do I play? Non-grog-fodder for a change!

FTL as in Faster Than Light - Space 'Dungeon-Crawler-like' indie game on Steam...

Plants Vs Zombies...

Used to play Total Anihilation and it's spawns for decades, but Win7 says 'no'.

Anno 1804 but it uses up horrendous amounts of time.

On 22/09/2016 at 1:28 PM, DasMorbo said:

What other PC games do I play? Non-grog-fodder for a change!

FTL as in Faster Than Light - Space 'Dungeon-Crawler-like' indie game on Steam...

Plants Vs Zombies...

Used to play Total Anihilation and it's spawns for decades, but Win7 says 'no'.

Anno 1804 but it uses up horrendous amounts of time.

*cough* he said WW2 games *cough*.  BTW Erwin I just got a voucher from Matrix, so I now have "DC Barbarossa" on my HDD.  Looking forward to firing it up.

Be interested in how you like it.   I hope this RP concept has potential to revolutionize computer wargames that have a tendency to all look the same - esp. operational level.

(Didn't BF once have a prohibition about discussing other company's products??  It's great if they have liberalized that policy.)

On 10/09/2016 at 3:06 PM, Father Ted said:

Ironcross, you mention RO2.  If you like that, you should check out Darkest Hour - a free, western front mod of RO1.  You get to play as US or Brits (infantry, paras and armoured) or Germans (Wehrmacht, SS and armour) on maps in Normandy through to the Bulge.  It's "realistic" - no crosshairs, radar or revival, and you're generally one-shotted (as my kids would say).  Sure it's a bit old, graphics-wise, but it does a much better job than RO2 when it comes to tanks and bigger maps.  I always think of DH as the wargamer's FPS.

I thought I recognised your handle. I definitely second the Darkest Hour recommendation despite an archaic and generally inaccurate (or more fairly: hit and miss) armor code. I have sunk more hours into that game then I care to admit. 

I've played with 1Cs Theatre of War series, the execution is very uneven. I remember enjoying the African title and the original - the rest not so much. 

The rest of my WW2 gaming is limited to Silent Hunters 3 & 4 and flight time in Aces High.

Edited by Rinaldi
Autocorrect strikes again

I loved the SH series.  A very relaxing game when one needed R&R from more brain intensive games like CM2 or any FPS.  In Wolves of the Pacific (SH3 or 4?) , I used to just hang out on the surface watching the beautiful ocean waves, the sunshine.  It was like a vacation to Tahiti.  (And I have been to Bora Bora...)

Note to self :  Must reinstall SH on my new systems.

25 minutes ago, Erwin said:

I loved the SH series.  A very relaxing game when one needed R&R from more brain intensive games like CM2 or any FPS.  In Wolves of the Pacific (SH3 or 4?) , I used to just hang out on the surface watching the beautiful ocean waves, the sunshine.  It was like a vacation to Tahiti.  (And I have been to Bora Bora...)

Note to self :  Must reinstall SH on my new systems.

Erwin. If you like naval warfare you should also try Atlantic Fleet. Same nice graphics as SH, but with naval surface ships like the Bismarck and the Hood. It is SUPERB.

Am I correct that Atlantic Fleet is kinda WEGO?  IIRC it's played in turns and your ships are stationary while the other side shoots etc. 

There was an xnt naval game some years (decades?) ago that was in real or accelerated time like the SH series.  That was fun, but got repetitive quickly.

1 hour ago, Erwin said:

Am I correct that Atlantic Fleet is kinda WEGO?  IIRC it's played in turns and your ships are stationary while the other side shoots etc. 

There was an xnt naval game some years (decades?) ago that was in real or accelerated time like the SH series.  That was fun, but got repetitive quickly.

You're correct, it's not WEGO  per se, but rather a more classic turn-based game. Atlantic Fleet is a  port from a tablet game, and I can't believe I forgot to  mention it myself; perhaps because I haven't touched it recently. You honestly cannot go wrong with that type of game: Its dirt cheap (10.99 CAD), looks good and has a fairly customizable level of 'realism.'

If you find the campaigns clunky at first, you can definitely get your feet wet for a while playing the historical engagements.

Edited by Rinaldi

On 9/8/2016 at 11:08 PM, ironcross13 said:

also guys what do yous think of War Thunder on realist mode? it can be a very good game and its free. Has quite realistic armor Pen its nothing like World of Tanks  

Yes, it's War Thunder (Ground forces) has occupied a ton of my time. It's way better than WoT. I mostly play on Realistic mode, sometimes on Simulation mode. The best thing about it is that you get to really compare and contrast each vehicles strength and weaknesses. Every CM player should play the ground forces for a while to get a feel for the nuances of each vehicle and armored combat in general.

On 9/13/2016 at 8:14 PM, Erwin said:

DC Barbarossa (Matrix) is a very innovative (East Front) computer game in that, while it seems to be similar to the previous conventional operational-strategic games in the Decisive Campaigns series, this new version is also a role playing game(!)  You are put in charge of many of the logistics issues that require you to maintain good relationships with both subordinates and superiors (including Der Fuhrer).  You have to make difficult decisions that may please or displease these other commanders, who in turn can help or hinder what you are trying to accomplish.  Highly recommended.  I hope the developers continue to improve this aspect of their system.

The DC series was already good but Barbarossa is, and I'm not prone to bandying a term like this about for nothing, a masterpiece.  I think that system with the player as Ike trying to deal with difficult characters above and below in the chain of command would be a hell of a lot of fun, I hope it's the next step they take with it. 

Man, I'll have to limit this to WWII titles that I still play, as to list all that I have played in the past 25 years of my computer gaming would be a true exercise in memory!  At the moment I play all of the CMx2 WWII titles aside from Fortress Italy which I don't have (yet), I have all of the CMx1 titles on my crappy laptop, the original IL-2 with the CUP mod by the Special Aircraft Service mod team, Silent Hunter 3 & 4, Red Orchestra 2 (don't play much anymore as it seems most of the servers are filled with bots), all of the DCS WWII modules, and....well, that's about it at the moment.  I've been thinking about ordering John Tiller's Panzer Battles Normandy but I'm having difficulty deciding between that and CMFI+GL....decisions, decisions.

2 hours ago, StieliAlpha said:

It's a little off topic, but does anybody still remember "Hidden and Dangerous"?

Sort of a "Commandos" ego shooter. As I recall the first "serious" WW2 shooter.

Technically horrible (gave me the hardest time to get it running properly), but otherwise, I loved it. Played the hell out of it, back then.

Yes! I had good fun with it despite having to fight with the interface and other issues.

Speaking of a little off topic, has anyone picked up CMANO (Command: Modern Air /Naval Operations)?  Very pricey, but I got mine on sale on Steam 40% off last year as a Christmas present.  Totally worth it even if not on sale. 

It's real time /time compression /pause, think Harpoon except this kicks Harpoon in the ass.  You get all the toys for modern air and naval combat including satellite's (land warfare is represented, paradrops, amphibious etc). 

Lots of scenario's and so far a few hundred user created scenarios as well.  There is a scenario editor feature. 

If you were to put this on multiply HDTV's, it would feel like being in a modern command bunker, directing units all over the globe.  I highly recommend it. 

Check out 'Warfare Sims' for detailed info.

Edited by Blazing 88's

6 hours ago, Erwin said:

I enjoyed H&D as well.  :)

Took a quick Google at CMANO.  Is that as complex as Grigsby's WITPAE - but for modern warfare?

Sure it is and then some, add in that it is a real time, with pause and time compression. You can be global if you want to go that route, it is not just a lone theater, but can be, the ever present "Nuke" option if the ROI allow it...  Seriously, check out the warfaresims.com and click on the What is 'Command'? link.  After CM, it is my favorite war game as I was a big fan of computer 'Harpoon'.  INTENSE describes scenarios I have played so far.  The database is amazing, very up to date info about all weapons, air and naval assets, etc...

The game is constantly updated regularly with better features and the rare fixes that may be needed.  They just started a campaigns DLC for active situations around the globe, taking into account current affairs globally, like the South China Sea... 

If you get it from Steam, the automatic update feature is nice.  The Community Workshop will constantly keep you up to date with user created scenarios.

Edited by Blazing 88's