What other WW2 games do you guys play

7 hours ago, Erwin said:

BTW:  I found that I had downloaded about 62 SH4 mods back in 2007(!!)

Would Real Fleet Boat + Run Silent Run Deep, Fall of the Rising Sun etc. or alternatively the Trigger Maru Mod include a bunch of mods that make the 2007 individual ones I have obsolete.  Or, should one install those new mods plus the 62 individual ones that I have?

Also, a noob question: Where in the WOTP folder does one install mods?  It's not obvious.

These are all mega mods, and they often incorporate a lot of the visual and individual mods. Officially, mods like TMO and RFB only truly endorse and support Run Silent, Run Deep (which is a campaign mod). They also tend to not play nice with many as well. Most mods do work with the larger packs, but you'd have to carefully read through threads to see. Subsim is a shockingly friendly community and they have the patience of saints when it comes to people who are lost viz. a viz. modding. I recommend you take particulars there. Post up a mod list, some of the crustier ones can tell just by looking at it if you have any conflicts.

I'm unfamiliar with what WOTP stands for as an acronym. Can't help you on that!

Edited by Rinaldi

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glanced through the thread a bit and couldnt see anyone (else) playing/played Steel Panthers series? It's still quite alive in new itterations iirc.Untill I fell for CM serie it was my main WW2 and Modern computer wargame. Although its been a while now I still fire it up for time to time. :)

Every now and then I still play some War Thunder (which I played daily until like 6 months ago)

A bit of Silent Hunter 4 with mods

Edited by TJT
Hit enter to soon >.<

10 minutes ago, TJT said:

Glanced through the thread a bit and couldnt see anyone (else) playing/played Steel Panthers series?

I'm googling the game now and it looks a lot like a game I played back when I was 15, but that one was set in Vietnam. Can't remember what it was called, and googling "steel panthers vietnam" doesn't really come up with much. 

Never really understood the gameplay; I think I was a bit too young at that point.

Edited by Bulletpoint

23 minutes ago, TJT said:

Glanced through the thread a bit and couldnt see anyone (else) playing/played Steel Panthers series? It's still quite alive in new itterations iirc.Untill I fell for CM serie it was my main WW2 and Modern computer wargame. Although its been a while now I still fire it up for time to time. :)

I did, great game. A classic. I loved the air attacks, especially anti-tankhelicopters.

20 minutes ago, Aragorn2002 said:

I did, great game. A classic. I loved the air attacks, especially anti-tankhelicopters.

Oh yes, I can still remember the satisfaction of hearing the shooowsh sound and explosion from AT missiles when I played Steel Panthers II: Modern Battles (1950-1999) for the fist time. Not to mention droping of VDV/Spetsnaz from Mi-8's and Mi-24's and then attacking the enemys with said helos afterwards. :lol: One of my favourits was a Russia vs Ukraine hypothetical late 1990's scenario with Russian VDV and Spetsnaz attacking an Ukrainian airfield by ground and helo's.

45 minutes ago, TJT said:

Oh yes, I can still remember the satisfaction of hearing the shooowsh sound and explosion from AT missiles when I played Steel Panthers II: Modern Battles (1950-1999) for the fist time. Not to mention droping of VDV/Spetsnaz from Mi-8's and Mi-24's and then attacking the enemys with said helos afterwards. :lol: One of my favourits was a Russia vs Ukraine hypothetical late 1990's scenario with Russian VDV and Spetsnaz attacking an Ukrainian airfield by ground and helo's.

I also remember playing a great scenario situated in Charkow March 1943. I really enjoyed myself with Steel Panthers. But the Cold war turning hot-scenarios were my favorites. Red Army tank masses against Dutch Leopard tanks. Man, if only we could have that in CM. I would gladly pay double the normal price for a Cold War CM, situated in the 80s.

Edited by Aragorn2002

On 2016-10-21 at 5:26 AM, TJT said:

Every now and then I still play some War Thunder (which I played daily until like 6 months ago)

Downloaded and installed the "new" SPWaW 2016 version the other day.  As I have a soft spot for that game.  One of my all time favorites.  Steel Panthers to me was the computer version of the Avalon Hill board game called 'TOBRUK'.  Same top down view of the units, but best of all, compared to the 'TOBRUK' boardgame, the ability to play against a decent ai...  The long campaign was cool for keeping track of a core force, Kills, promotions, etc, the Mega Campaigns...  Loved it.

Edited by Blazing 88's

"...keeping track of a core force, Kills, promotions, etc, the Mega Campaigns... "   Yes, that would be a wonderful innovation for CM series.  That would greatly encourage players to think of their troops as real people and identify with at least a few - taking a "god-like" interest in certain men re promotions, wounds, medals etc.

On 21/10/2016 at 11:26 AM, TJT said:

Eagerly awaiting news about the Steel Panthers that is currently in development (Called Steel Tigers I think). My interview with Joel touche don it:)

INTERVIEW WITH JOEL BILLINGS

Edited by Wodin

I'm really enjoying Graviteam Tacts: Mius Front Shilovo 1942 DLC.

Having some great back and forth clashes with Russian rifle battalions and tank brigades in the early stages of Operation Blau.

Right now I am commencing my counter-attack with newly arrived panzers and I'm hoping I can punch through in the next day or two. The operational map is amazing and seeing the death and destruction from previous battles is awesome.

7 hours ago, Wodin said:

Eagerly awaiting news about the Steel Panthers that is currently in development (Called Steel Tigers I think). My interview with Joel touche don it:)

INTERVIEW WITH JOEL BILLINGS

Yes I saw this mentioned at their forums when I was downloading SPWaW 2016.  Will be getting that for sure no doubt.

1 hour ago, Sublime said:

I may look into war in the east 2. a bex based game in 2017 no thx

Wait, what?  War in the East 2 is hex based just like the first one, WITE.  Or did I miss something??

On another game, I think you would enjoy CMANO (Command: Modern Air /Naval Operations).  Posted about it earlier in this thread.

Edited by Blazing 88's

1 hour ago, Sublime said:

...War in the east while interesring seems one of those games id try to play and never start too daunted by its scope. i suspect cmano would be similar.

Not at all imo, it is real time as well compared to WiTE which is turn based.  Best to read about CMANO at Warfaresims.com and click the link "What is "Command"".  Like I mentioned in a previous post, I got it from Steam at around 50% off...  No way I was going to pay the actual asking price with the Canadian dollar as it was then.

51 minutes ago, Kuderian said:

I've read good things about Command: Modern Air /Naval Operations and loved Harpoon on my trusty old Amiga!

Sea warfare is a refreshing breeze after getting dirty in that damned bocage etc..

Loved the original computer Harpoon released in 1989 and all the theatre packs put out for it.  CMANO is what Harpoon was and way more imo.  Wargame of the Year award when it first came out.

Edited by Blazing 88's

Fighting Flattops is worth a look. It's a free, browser based game about WW2 pacific carrier battles and feels a lot like a computerised version of the old Yaquinto/Avalon Hill Flattop. There are no graphics of ships, aircraft etc, you simply see the map with icons for TF's, subs and air groups. The turns are hourly, and it's hidden movement against a live opponent. Like Flattop, the emphasis is on spotting before being spotted , then putting together a strike package to take out the enemy TF's or bases. Aircraft going through a turn by turn sequence of landing, readying(re-arming) then going into the ready box.

If you Google Youtube - Fighting Flattops you'll find some 'How to' videos showing the game in action.

Speaking of browser games (not WWII however, but cool non the less) has anyone here checked out the free "You Play It" web site.  That site has a couple of games I like (turn based, online opponents), one is called 'Blue Max' and another an Avalon Hill game 'Wooden Ships and Iron Men'.  Both are based off of the board games of the same names.  I haven't been using it much lately, but I did have several games of 'Blue Max' against some people.  They are fun and rather quick games if your opponent is online at the same time.  Otherwise, you wait for an e-mail response of his completed turn and carry on...

Edited by Blazing 88's