What other WW2 games do you guys play

That Atlantic Fleet game looks really sweet, added to my wish list.

To chime in on the topic:

• Silent Hunter 3&4
  • Blitzkrieg 1&2
  • Close Combat 2&3&5
  • Day of Defeat: Source
  • Hearts of Iron 2: Complete
  • War Thunder
  • World of Warships

I guess that's the short list. I've got a few CD-ROM's buried in my storage box.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought a version RO that comes with all the add-on packs including "Darkest Hour".

But, on installation I find that I HAVE to have a Steam AC and the stoopid thing keeps telling me that I have no network connection, while I am connected to BF and typing this.  Then I find that I have to agree to receiving marketing crap...

So, I now have a copy of RO with all the add-on packs that I do not want to use.  Grrr....  :(   (How can one uninstall Steam??)

Whatever happened to software one could buy and install without having to putz with some online BS?   What a load of ****.

Thank goodness BF has rejected all entreaties to publish thru Steam! 

Just tried the same thing with another game I purchased:  "Napoleon Total War".  Same BS problem with Steam.  Another game I have to trash without playing.  Hope it was bad.  ^%#%^ Steam!

And I see in my Programs list that steam has installed itself on my HD.  How to I get rid of it?  Is it enuff to simply delete all Steam folders and files?  I don't see any "uninstall" button.

Edited by Erwin

21 minutes ago, Sublime said:

Close  combat 3 is ok if you multiplay the grand campaign with someone over 9 hrs.

Really though theyre all crap except CC2 which had an awesome grand campaign element.

Also the Il2 Sturmovik series.

I still love IL-2. Nothing like a good dogfight to burn away the stress of the day. I've got dozens of games on my pc, but 9 out of 10 times I'm playing CM. Last summer I bought Scourge of War: Waterloo and I almost haven't touched it, although I love the Napoleonic Wars. CM is too much fun and since I'm this time determined to finish my first scenario I've more or less decided to concentrate on CM when I have time to spare.

Atlantic Fleet is an exception though. Man, I love those screaming shells hitting steel or just cause huge splashes in the sea. Really makes you feel like the Allmighty (with all respect). :)

12 hours ago, Erwin said:

I bought a version RO that comes with all the add-on packs including "Darkest Hour".

But, on installation I find that I HAVE to have a Steam AC and the stoopid thing keeps telling me that I have no network connection, while I am connected to BF and typing this.  Then I find that I have to agree to receiving marketing crap...

So, I now have a copy of RO with all the add-on packs that I do not want to use.  Grrr....  :(   (How can one uninstall Steam??)

Whatever happened to software one could buy and install without having to putz with some online BS?   What a load of ****.

My sentiments exactly. My brief encounter with Steam a few years ago was like some kind of dysphoric nightmare. I never want to go back there again, but auto-updating software with assorted intrusions appears to be a trend. I am starting to think it would be nice to have a second computer not connected to the i-net to use for gaming and other activities I want to engage in without a ton of third party meddling, but that is not a practical solution for me at present.

Michael

2 hours ago, Aragorn2002 said:

I still love IL-2. Nothing like a good dogfight to burn away the stress of the day. I've got dozens of games on my pc, but 9 out of 10 times I'm playing CM. Last summer I bought Scourge of War: Waterloo and I almost haven't touched it, although I love the Napoleonic Wars. CM is too much fun and since I'm this time determined to finish my first scenario I've more or less decided to concentrate on CM when I have time to spare.

Atlantic Fleet is an exception though. Man, I love those screaming shells hitting steel or just cause huge splashes in the sea. Really makes you feel like the Allmighty (with all respect). :)

I'm a huge fan of the SOW series.  Although when I initially bought Scourge of War: Gettysburg, it sat in hard-drive relatively unused for a couple years.  It seemed like a good game, but I've played too many birds-eye view/God-like control tactical wargames for it to truly hold my interest.  It wasn't until I started playing with its "Headquarters-in-the-Saddle" (HITS) mode that my opinion changed from it being a good game to a brilliant one.  HITS mode transforms those games from games into simulations.  With HITS, you can only see the battlefield from the viewpoint of your character-commander.  In order to get a different view then you've got to ride.  Also, you can only give out direct orders to troops within shouting distance, but otherwise you've got to rely upon horseback couriers who may or may not reach their destination.  Plus, you've got to figure in the delay in relaying orders.  HITS also really levels the playing field with the AI because you too are stuck having deal with sometimes lackluster AI subordinates controlling your troops.

I have fantasized about having something similar for the Combat Mission games.  The player takes on the role of a platoon/company/battalion/battlegroup commander and your view is restricted to that of your character-commander.  You can give out "shouted" orders or by radio/runner.  You have to rely upon reports from subordinates and/or the sounds of combat to determine what's going on.  Glover Johns' and Charles MacDonald's descriptions of listening to a battle to judge its "pulse" always leap out while reading their combat memoirs: Johns' "The Clay Pigeons of St. Lo" and MacDonald's "Company Commander."

Of course, I think programming an AI to handle such a game would probably be very difficult because the player would be so heavily reliant upon AI subordinates not being completely hapless.  Also, the appeal of such a game would be very limited.  The Combat Mission games are niche now and having a HITS mode which severely limits the player's control and battlefield information would make them ridiculously so.  How many people would want to play such a game?  I doubt there are many.  Plus, 19th century combat with its close formations and open fields lends itself better to such a game.  In SOW, even in HITS mode, the panorama of 19th century warfare can be visually stunning.  But the WW2 battlefield?  As Major Johns put it: "One seldom sees much on a modern battlefield."  So, it would be a very tough sell.  Yet, one can dream.

Have always heard great things about IL2.  I have joysticks and throttles around here someplace, plus maybe 40(!) unplayed flight sims (including all IL2 modules and MS Tank Platoon) all of which need those controls.  Dam CM for being so addictive and time consuming!  If only BF would stop making any more games (lol).

CC series was fun for a while.  Otherwise highly repetitive.  Agreed, the elementary campaign aspect added a lot.  Wish we had that in CM series.

And so...  any ideas on whether deleting Steam folders and files is sufficient, or is an uninstall required - (in which case where is the dam button??)

17 hours ago, Erwin said:

Actually...You should keep 'Steam' installed, and let it update 'RO', and then you should be able to play it in 'Offline Mode' or 'Online' Mod (once it's updated)...It's no big deal, but you should be able to go under your Steam Settings and control any Advertisements you receive. On top of that, you can search the Steam Library and purchase any other Games of interest (usually games that are a 1 year old + can be had for $10 or less). 

Not only will you have 'RO & Darkest Hour', but other Mods, like 'Mare Norstrum' (free download if it's still available) & Pacific (which you might have to purchase, but not sure)...I think you will really enjoy RO (especially DH, since there are more active servers) as I still get on them from time to time. 

However, if you are still insisting on uninstalling Steam, then it shouldn't be to hard to do it...Now, I have Win 7 and I just go under the 'Program Features' and uninstall 'Steam' (along with RO & DH if it's separate), and go under Program Files(x86) and delete any remaining Folders.

Joe

Edited by JoMc67

Thank you.  I just hate giving yet another corporation access to my computer for their nefarious uses. 

Yes, I am using my Win 7 machine for games exclusively.  By "Program Features", do you mean the "All Programs" button accessed by pressing the Start button on the bottom left of screen?  Or, do you mean the "Programs & Features" accessed thru the Control Panel?  (Or does one have to delete everything "Steam" in both areas?)

Loving my reinstall of SH4.  I have sailed and cruised around French Polynesia and SH4 reminds me of the beautiful sunrises and sunsets as well as the sea.  :)

I know I can google for mods, but am hoping some SH devotees here have recommended mods and links.

48 minutes ago, Erwin said:

Thank you.  I just hate giving yet another corporation access to my computer for their nefarious uses. 

Yes, I am using my Win 7 machine for games exclusively.  By "Program Features", do you mean the "All Programs" button accessed by pressing the Start button on the bottom left of screen?  Or, do you mean the "Programs & Features" accessed thru the Control Panel?  (Or does one have to delete everything "Steam" in both areas?)

Loving my reinstall of SH4.  I have sailed and cruised around French Polynesia and SH4 reminds me of the beautiful sunrises and sunsets as well as the sea.  :)

I know I can google for mods, but am hoping some SH devotees here have recommended mods and links.

Yes, use the 'Programs & Features' accessed through the Control Panel to delete 'Steam' (along with RO & DH if it's located there too). Then, manually delete any remaining Folders (which will probably be empty if there are any) by clicking on 'Local Disk C', then Programs Files (x86)

Edited by JoMc67

Steam works for me fine.  I have even added some games to it that I hadn't purchased through them.  Everything gets installed in the Steam /SteamApps /Common folder.  One thing I did do however was move the Steam folder out of the Program Files (x86) location and onto a separate HD, maybe that is why I don't have issues with it??

On my Samsung I7 gaming laptop I have three partitions set up C:, D:, E:.  C: being the normal location for the OS (Win 7).  I moved the Steam folder to my E: drive.  If I remember correctly, I may have done something from within Steam to redirect the new location...  can't remember that far back.

Now, as for my rig in my sig, I still have everything installed as default location (C:), but I do not have issues with it running that way either.  Maybe it is a Win 10 issue??  Hopefully what I mentioned helps you out.  Especially if you possibly get CMANO, as getting it through Steam ON SALE, is the only way to get it for a far less price eventually.

5 hours ago, Erwin said:

Unfortunately, partitions are not the same as a separate HD.  Am just asking whether Steam can be isolated on a separate HD/flash drive, so that there is no danger of contamination of my main HD and computer.

Sorry, my E: drive HD is a separate HD and that is where my Steam folder is located.  C: and D: are a partitioned HD.  I was thinking of my setup at work for some reason.  Again, I would give it a shot.  If you are going to be deleting Steam anyways, try moving Steam folder to the separate HD and see if it works for you before taking the drastic action.

Edited by Blazing 88's

On 14-10-2016 at 5:50 PM, Myles Keogh said:

I'm a huge fan of the SOW series.  Although when I initially bought Scourge of War: Gettysburg, it sat in hard-drive relatively unused for a couple years.  It seemed like a good game, but I've played too many birds-eye view/God-like control tactical wargames for it to truly hold my interest.  It wasn't until I started playing with its "Headquarters-in-the-Saddle" (HITS) mode that my opinion changed from it being a good game to a brilliant one.  HITS mode transforms those games from games into simulations.  With HITS, you can only see the battlefield from the viewpoint of your character-commander.  In order to get a different view then you've got to ride.  Also, you can only give out direct orders to troops within shouting distance, but otherwise you've got to rely upon horseback couriers who may or may not reach their destination.  Plus, you've got to figure in the delay in relaying orders.  HITS also really levels the playing field with the AI because you too are stuck having deal with sometimes lackluster AI subordinates controlling your troops.

I have fantasized about having something similar for the Combat Mission games.  The player takes on the role of a platoon/company/battalion/battlegroup commander and your view is restricted to that of your character-commander.  You can give out "shouted" orders or by radio/runner.  You have to rely upon reports from subordinates and/or the sounds of combat to determine what's going on.  Glover Johns' and Charles MacDonald's descriptions of listening to a battle to judge its "pulse" always leap out while reading their combat memoirs: Johns' "The Clay Pigeons of St. Lo" and MacDonald's "Company Commander."

Of course, I think programming an AI to handle such a game would probably be very difficult because the player would be so heavily reliant upon AI subordinates not being completely hapless.  Also, the appeal of such a game would be very limited.  The Combat Mission games are niche now and having a HITS mode which severely limits the player's control and battlefield information would make them ridiculously so.  How many people would want to play such a game?  I doubt there are many.  Plus, 19th century combat with its close formations and open fields lends itself better to such a game.  In SOW, even in HITS mode, the panorama of 19th century warfare can be visually stunning.  But the WW2 battlefield?  As Major Johns put it: "One seldom sees much on a modern battlefield."  So, it would be a very tough sell.  Yet, one can dream.

Thank you, Myles, I'm going to try HITS mode, as you advised. I have to give this great game more attention and your post helps.

I like your fantasy for CM as well. Perhaps with certain rules like people use for board wargames, it can be simulated to a certain level.

Edited by Aragorn2002

On 10/13/2016 at 9:54 PM, Erwin said:

Wonderful news.  I got SH4 Gold (with U-Boat missions) up and running.  I used to love this series of games.  :)

So, all you experienced submariners...  where do I get all the mods for this?

Subsim.com

Definitely recommend Real Fleet Boat + Run Silent Run Deep, or alternatively the Trigger Maru Mod. The latter is a bit more difficult and deliberately ignores the ASW infancy of the IJN for the sake of difficulty. I've just downloaded Fall of the Rising Sun mod, and I have high hopes, but can't comment until I find the time.

I wouldn't recommend playing the German missions, you're better off doing the 10th Flotilla in GWX Gold in the previous title if you want U-boats in the Indian ocean.

Thanks for the mod info. 

Am wondering if I need to patch my SH4.  What is latest version?

Re subsim.com does one have to join to d/l?

Wow... what a vast amount of mods and info - bigger than BF site I think.  There appear to be a very large amount of other mods.  You have a recommended list in addition to the two you mentioned?

Also, I notice subsim.com offers bonus mods in exchange for a donation.  Are any of those good/worth it?

And what is SH5??  Any good?

Yes, I have been playing the SH4 Gold U-Boat campaign and am not too impressed.  Too many times one gets ordered to patrol a sector, and then...  nothing seems to happen for ages.   Very realistically boring I suppose.

Edited by Erwin

Erwin SH5 got ripped apart on release..however download one of the mega mods and I really enjoy it! Also don't buy the Steam version as it means you can't mod\fix something which is important for the mega mods. I have it installed with the The Wolves of Steel Mega mod installed.

Erwin speed up time is a must in the SH games..it's not an arcade game..you have to keep submersing to see if you get any contacts using sonar etc. If you want a realistic experience then get it..if you want instant action stay away.

Other WW2 games I play are

Red Orchestra 2\Rising Storm

Atlantic Fleet

Tigers Unleashed

testing Future release of tactical game in current series set West Front\Africa 39 till 42.

IL2 BOS

IL2 COD with TF MOD

Graviteam Tactics Op Star and DLC

Graviteam Tactics Muis front and DLC

SH4 and SH5 with lots of mods

Command Ops 2

Decisive Campaigns Barbarossa (Greatest Operational Wargame made)

Firefight (hoping we see it expand with future patches)

Running with Rifles with WW2 or WW1 mod (great fun)

Heroes of Normandie (not bad since the cards where added)

WW1 Games

Steam and Iron with Campaign expansion

Verdun (Maybe just a touch to lethal, I love RO 2 but this feels a tad more difficult)

WW1 Gold

Wings Over Flanders Fields version 3 with all DLC (greatest single player flight sim ever made)

Edited by Wodin

"Erwin speed up time is a must in the SH games..it's not an arcade game..you have to keep submersing to see if you get any contacts using sonar etc. If you want a realistic experience then get it..if you want instant action stay away. "

I agree with your sentiments and loved playing SH3 and SH4 years ago.  Am happy to rediscover it. (I didn't even realize there was a SH5, and there is a SH6 that comes up when I Google.)

However, in the SH4 U-Boat campaign I would get to a location that was ordered, and then sit there with max time compression on for several game days before anything appeared (other than enemy aircraft) - and most of the time it was a friendly ship(!).  That's plain poor design.

Your other games also sound good.  Some I never heard of.  I have to check em out. 

BTW:  I found that I had downloaded about 62 SH4 mods back in 2007(!!)

Would Real Fleet Boat + Run Silent Run Deep, Fall of the Rising Sun etc. or alternatively the Trigger Maru Mod include a bunch of mods that make the 2007 individual ones I have obsolete.  Or, should one install those new mods plus the 62 individual ones that I have?

Also, a noob question: Where in the WOTP folder does one install mods?  It's not obvious.