CMRT Campaign - Kampfgruppe "von Schroif"

23 hours ago, George MC said:

Hi @Redmarkus

I appreciate you taking the time to expand on your views regarding scenario design.  However, before I answer the point you make, here is a fundamental truth about stuff I design. Be warned I'm babbling back! :lol:

Cheery!

George

Hi George,

I certainly didn't mean to cause offence. I will hold my tongue and give the first scenario another go.

I have done a fair bit of modding and even some scenario design for a number of games over the years but for some reason I've found scenario creation in CM2 challenging.

Maybe you're right and I should focus on learning how to build stuff to suit my own tastes.

39 minutes ago, Redmarkus said:

Hi George,

I certainly didn't mean to cause offence. I will hold my tongue and give the first scenario another go.

I have done a fair bit of modding and even some scenario design for a number of games over the years but for some reason I've found scenario creation in CM2 challenging.

Maybe you're right and I should focus on learning how to build stuff to suit my own tastes.

No offence taken :)

Its worth giving the editor a go. Start small and work up. I'd just use an existing map and take it from there. QB maps are a good starting source - just mind and remove all AI Plans and objectives before you begin!

Wow - just finished the third mission. Very challenging - I captured 4 of the 6 objectives however lost all but one of my panzers and as a result earned a "draw". Unfortunately the campaign is over. What a great mission, very demanding with lots of options for an attack. I'll have to give this a break for a few weeks and then come back at it again. Thanks again for a great campaign!

10 hours ago, Silentotto41 said:

Wow - just finished the third mission. Very challenging - I captured 4 of the 6 objectives however lost all but one of my panzers and as a result earned a "draw". Unfortunately the campaign is over. What a great mission, very demanding with lots of options for an attack. I'll have to give this a break for a few weeks and then come back at it again. Thanks again for a great campaign!

Hi @Silentotto41

Aye that third mission is a tough one. It is pivotal for the rest of the campaign.I've just finished Mission 3 myself. I must admit I spent nearly an hour and bit recceing my approaches, all the while trying to unmask the Soviet positions. I will also admit to a few save and reloads when I screwed it up! The fighting went to the wire on this with some of the fiercest fighting in RAKOW itself. Having such a lot of artillery helps when doing the unmasking!

With the third mission there are multiple attack lines, all have their pros and cons TBH and I don't think any one is easier than any other. My top tip for anyone playing this is take your time and be patient.

Thanks for the comments and feedback - glad you enjoyed it and found it a challenge.

Cheery!

George

On ‎17‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 6:26 AM, Redmarkus said:

IMHO George's point about building stuff to suit personal tastes is totally the thing.  Everything I've done and released is something I've wanted to do - the satisfaction of creating an accurate map, the pleasure in research and the consideration of design decisions (balance, playability, historical accuracy and many more) are all in the mix.  Then there is the testing where you fine tune the timings/plans and the victory points.  Then the final test where you realise that (despite testing it a dozen times) that you have created a mission that you would want to play and you have given something to the community. It is a really satisfying feeling to reach that point and what I think motivates many designers.  I couldn't imagine spending the time and effort to 'design to order' which is why I don't.

WRT finding scenario design challenging ... it takes a bit of trial and error but if I can do it then anyone can.  Be patient, start small and stick to designing things that you would want to play or you have a real passion for.

On 23/05/2016 at 0:34 PM, Combatintman said:

IMHO George's point about building stuff to suit personal tastes is totally the thing.  Everything I've done and released is something I've wanted to do - the satisfaction of creating an accurate map, the pleasure in research and the consideration of design decisions (balance, playability, historical accuracy and many more) are all in the mix.  Then there is the testing where you fine tune the timings/plans and the victory points.  Then the final test where you realise that (despite testing it a dozen times) that you have created a mission that you would want to play and you have given something to the community. It is a really satisfying feeling to reach that point and what I think motivates many designers.  I couldn't imagine spending the time and effort to 'design to order' which is why I don't.

WRT finding scenario design challenging ... it takes a bit of trial and error but if I can do it then anyone can.  Be patient, start small and stick to designing things that you would want to play or you have a real passion for.

What he said :)

Just finished the first mission.  Got the DRAW.. not sure if I should start over.  led with a couple tanks... in the end only suffered a few infantry casualties.  I re-read the mission about them spotting armor.  I think I got lost somewhere reading all the interesting messages.. the Russians ended up with nearly 3k points for spotting the tanks and SPW's.  Its really a trade off.. either your infantry gets shot up... or you let them spot your vehicles.

Hi @GhostRider3/3

Thanks for the update. Re the "Draw" you are all good to go still. You are just on a slightly different timeline. If it all goes well next action you are back on track.

You are correct - that was the intent you can go in stealthy but it'll cost you guys; or go in hard and show your hand and risk having your whole unit spotted. 

15 hours ago, George MC said:

Hi @GhostRider3/3

Thanks for the update. Re the "Draw" you are all good to go still. You are just on a slightly different timeline. If it all goes well next action you are back on track.

You are correct - that was the intent you can go in stealthy but it'll cost you guys; or go in hard and show your hand and risk having your whole unit spotted. 

I am all for saving my men... I guess I am conservative in away, but hate to see my pixletruppen get chewed up.  Thanks George MC, starting the next mission as we speak... ( I have read the instructions well the first time)  Must say I really enjoy the immersive story and the information you get in the briefings.

To those visiting and honoring our fallen hero's in the USA, I wish you all a great Memorial Day weekend.

Semper Fi.

Hi @GhostRider3/3:)

Aye one thing this campaign illustrates is what a high casualty rate these SPW panzergrenadier units had. This campaign is partly an exercise in conserving your men's lives - but making decisions about when and how its worth it to risk a few...

Pleased you are enjoying the briefing and the scene setting. I was aiming for creating an attachment to the characters and unit leaders.

Best of luck with the next mission.

All the best to my American friends on Memorial Day.

I had a great time with the first mission yesterday, although I only scored a draw. I did reach all the targets, but lost two Pz IV's (one of them in the last bloody minute :)). I can't say I made huge mistakes or risked too much, in fact I was quite pleased with myself, until I lost the second tank. But great atmosphere, I really enjoyed it. Well done, George, and thank you for making such superb scenarios and campaigns.

Edited by Aragorn2002

Well  finally had chance to put some hours in on the first mission and mark up another draw, I was surprised at the result as I had got all the objectives...

But the loss of a MKIV and a half track cost me 1,866 and 1153 points.... occch!!!

Now looking at some posts above I am wondering if I was spotted? I am not sure I have ever played a game with being spotted counting against you, I guess I will have to RTFM..

So I will press on and I can see people coming unstuck on the 1st scenario as it is easy to lose a few things against those pesky AT guns and T34's...

Let's see if I can make it any further...

Nice map (as ever)....

5 hours ago, Aragorn2002 said:

I had a great time with the first mission yesterday, although I only scored a draw. I did reach all the targets, but lost two Pz IV's (one of them in the last bloody minute :)). I can't say I made huge mistakes or risked too much, in fact I was quite pleased with myself, until I lost the second tank. But great atmosphere, I really enjoyed it. Well done, George, and thank you for making such superb scenarios and campaigns.

That's still good going. You don't lose points for losing stuff but them getting spotted. Losing stuff though does start to work against you long term in this so you do need to be careful, well, as best you can... ;)

Still you are good for the next scenario. I must admit I find I lose more tanks than panzer grenadiers playing this as I tend to get the tanks to do the heavy lifting. Not always the best plan! Thanks for playing it. Hope all good with you?

16 minutes ago, Holien said:

Well  finally had chance to put some hours in on the first mission and mark up another draw, I was surprised at the result as I had got all the objectives...

But the loss of a MKIV and a half track cost me 1,866 and 1153 points.... occch!!!

Now looking at some posts above I am wondering if I was spotted? I am not sure I have ever played a game with being spotted counting against you, I guess I will have to RTFM..

So I will press on and I can see people coming unstuck on the 1st scenario as it is easy to lose a few things against those pesky AT guns and T34's...

Let's see if I can make it any further...

Nice map (as ever)....

Hi H :)

Yup you got your stuff spotted hence the high score (you don't lose points for units being KOd - only spotted). Losing stuff as i highlighted above to Aragorn eventually bites you in the bum further down the line. The trick is to try and minimise the attrition. I think its hard to do but doable...

Thanks for giving it a spin - good luck :)

Just now, Holien said:

Just a quickie... The draw breifing has some sort of dodgy code character before the word Ever at start of briefing. I can send screen shot if needed?

I saw that. It only appears to affect the first scenario. I think it's some issue with the txt file. Its on my 'to fix' list (which is very small but has some fiddly stuff like that). I'm thinking though with this first scenario I might just amend the winning conditions to be a bit more positive!

I will have to think through the 1st scenario a bit as off the top of my head it is going to be hard to remain unspotted especially as you are forced to cross at one bridge...

It just might be too hard to remain un spotted?

But as I say I would need to spend some time looking at map again and thinking about what I could do different, also I need to check how that works, if Soviets spot one tank is it all points or pro rata for number spotted?

24 minutes ago, Holien said:

I will have to think through the 1st scenario a bit as off the top of my head it is going to be hard to remain unspotted especially as you are forced to cross at one bridge...

It just might be too hard to remain un spotted?

But as I say I would need to spend some time looking at map again and thinking about what I could do different, also I need to check how that works, if Soviets spot one tank is it all points or pro rata for number spotted?

Re being spotted - points are pro-rata. The approach I've found works is to lead with a smaller point force with stuff held back. It's hard to do though as you start engaging the tendency is to bring more stuff up. Or take the hits and lose assets but risk having less spotted. 

17 minutes ago, Holien said:

Just spotted another minor tweak you need to make if you have not noted it already...

Final screen of briefing you say that upto 800 points for Soviet kills, but in Blue above it says 550 points for Soviet kills, not a biggie...

oops... you know I checked and double checked this bloody thing! I'll do a recompile very soon. Well spotted :)

15 minutes ago, George MC said:

Re being spotted - points are pro-rata. The approach I've found works is to lead with a smaller point force with stuff held back. It's hard to do though as you start engaging the tendency is to bring more stuff up. Or take the hits and lose assets but risk having less spotted. 

OK that makes sense, I think I could battle through with less kit on display, mind you at the end review I noticed some sneaky peeks who most probably spotted a few...

So still would have been tough, but that is as it should be...

;)

Just now, Holien said:

OK that makes sense, I think I could battle through with less kit on display, mind you at the end review I noticed some sneaky peeks who most probably spotted a few...

So still would have been tough, but that is as it should be...

;)

I've recompiled it H - temp link till its updated at TSDIII https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/38597470/CMRT_KGr_von%20Schroif_v3.zip

7 hours ago, George MC said:

That's still good going. You don't lose points for losing stuff but them getting spotted. Losing stuff though does start to work against you long term in this so you do need to be careful, well, as best you can... ;)

Still you are good for the next scenario. I must admit I find I lose more tanks than panzer grenadiers playing this as I tend to get the tanks to do the heavy lifting. Not always the best plan! Thanks for playing it. Hope all good with you?

I'm fine, George, thank you. Busy as all of us are, but still planning to release my own scenario, hopefully this summer. Coming weekend I will go for the next scenario. I understand it is a lot harder than the first one, so I'm looking forward to a lot of burning vehicles (hopefully not mine). ;)

15 hours ago, Aragorn2002 said:

I'm fine, George, thank you. Busy as all of us are, but still planning to release my own scenario, hopefully this summer. Coming weekend I will go for the next scenario. I understand it is a lot harder than the first one, so I'm looking forward to a lot of burning vehicles (hopefully not mine). ;)

Good to hear :) good luck with your scenario when It's released.  I've just started work on another one myself!

Good luck the next mission. Top tip - take your time... 

I look forward to hearing how it goes. 

Cheery!?

I've uploaded a version 3 (with a tweaked Mission 1 - amending the victory points a bit to make it easier for the German player to "win" the first mission; corrected some issues with the format of the first briefing). You can grab the new version HERE

Thanks to @Bootie for updating the file at TSDIII :)