CMRT Campaign - Kampfgruppe "von Schroif"

On 03/05/2017 at 11:13 PM, MANoWAR.U51 said:

Love the narrative and detail aspect. One of the best campaigns ever made for a CM game period.

He! Wow :) Thanks very much - pleased you enjoyed the narrative and detail of the campaign. Thanks very much for taking it for a spin and taking the time to post your feedback :) 

On 6.5.2017 at 10:00 AM, George MC said:

He! Wow :) Thanks very much - pleased you enjoyed the narrative and detail of the campaign. Thanks very much for taking it for a spin and taking the time to post your feedback :) 

You´re welcome.

Are you still in the campaign making business? Because there is a dire need for quality narrative campaigns.

Edited by MANoWAR.U51

On 10/05/2017 at 2:21 PM, MANoWAR.U51 said:

You´re welcome.

Are you still in the campaign making business? Because there is a dire need for quality narrative campaigns.

I am - working on a campaign based around Kampfgruppe Muhlenkamp in Poland summer 1944. Taking lot longer due to RL stuff but making steady progress.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11.5.2017 at 6:06 PM, George MC said:

I am - working on a campaign based around Kampfgruppe Muhlenkamp in Poland summer 1944. Taking lot longer due to RL stuff but making steady progress.

Great to know you´re still there. Take your time.

I just started Schnelle Truppen Angriffe! (having followed Option B ) and noticed that the briefing indicates there will be 105mm Wespe support, but this doesn't show up on the map. Is this a bug, or does the artillery show up later?

(This is a fantastic campaign, and I enjoyed the challenge of Angriff Gegen Einen Bruckernkopf--thanks for making it!)

14 hours ago, General Liederkranz said:

I just started Schnelle Truppen Angriffe! (having followed Option B ) and noticed that the briefing indicates there will be 105mm Wespe support, but this doesn't show up on the map. Is this a bug, or does the artillery show up later?

(This is a fantastic campaign, and I enjoyed the challenge of Angriff Gegen Einen Bruckernkopf--thanks for making it!)

My apologies Herr General. The Wespe battery has become stuck on the poor roads and has been unable to keep up with your speedy advance...

Actually - good catch! The errant battery is in other versions but not the one associated with the version of the path you are on (there are potentially four branches at this stage). I've amended it accordingly and will get in touch with @Bootie to update the entry on TSDIII. In the short term I have attached links to dropbox which includes the revised files. They'll not be off much use for you at this stage but sounds like you are doing well - this mission might feel just a wee bit tougher than it should have been. However what you have at your disposal should still be enough. It matters more if you have lost more panzer assets in earlier missions.

Thanks for the feedback - you did well with Bruckernkopf - it's a toughie. I think (hope) you'll enjoy the others coming up as I did try to give them all a wee twist so they feel very different but still within keeping of the main mission parameters. Be keen to hear how you get on?

Thanks again for the heads up and awar best err...Viel glück!

Cheery!

Link to revised campaign files and missions pack

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/f6evsvdc48lc9pq/AAAXgKmTlMCNYadwpEoJ_f7ca?dl=0

Edited by George MC

Ah, thanks! My win on Bruckernkopf wasn't entirely honest; I did a couple of resets from saved games when I made stupid mistakes. Your advice and others' on another thread I started about PzGd tactics also helped a lot. I burned up a lot of 75mm ammo for the Pz IVs but hoping I have enough left to press on for a coup de main . . . 

19 hours ago, General Liederkranz said:

Ah, thanks! My win on Bruckernkopf wasn't entirely honest; I did a couple of resets from saved games when I made stupid mistakes. Your advice and others' on another thread I started about PzGd tactics also helped a lot. I burned up a lot of 75mm ammo for the Pz IVs but hoping I have enough left to press on for a coup de main . . . 

Thanks - pleased to hear the advice was some use. FWIW in that scenario I had to do a lot of re-starts from previous saves. I start of patient and cautious and when things start to go well become a bit too cocky and get a doing as a reward. In this scenario slow but sure - all the time, every time wins the day!

The PzIVs do have a large ammo loadouts so all going well you should be able to get through the next action. 

Slightly off topic but after playing this campaign you get a good feel for why German armoured units could reach dangerously low levels in manpower and vehicles in a very short space of time...

• 3 months later...

Just in case it was missed I upload all the missions as standalone scenarios to TSDIII a while back.

NOTE: outwith the campaign they may well not be 'balanced' as within the campaign I assume the German player will take casualties. Still if you never completed any missions or fancied seeing what the alternative path choices would have taken you, then you might find it useful.

http://www.thefewgoodmen.com/tsd3/cm-red-thunder/cm-red-thunder-add-ons-scenarios/kampfgruppe-von-schroif-missions/

Cheery!

• 1 month later...

Hi George MC, I fired your campaign again. Previously I was put off from it due to low performance - have set the 3D model to lowest and am now getting 25+ frames in the first mission so I think I'm good.

Do you think the 4 game engine changes the gameplay too much from how you set it up and I should wait for the patch or am I clear to fire your baby up?  

I don't know really how to handle the first mission. What would be the wisest way to approach each touch area? Send one platoon with one tank each as a support, near the area disembark the troops from the half-trucks and close in on foot, neutralize any enemy lurking there, hop back on the halftracks and move on to the next area?   

Edited by Hister

Hi @Hister

I've been following your FPS woes on the forum. Interesting findings though, but glad you have managed to get up and running.

Re the campaign TBH i don't think it will make any odds. Without giving too much away the AI plans coupled with the new behaviour might make some missions a wee bit easier but others might be a touch harder, Overall i think it'll balance out meaning if you command your unit well you'll still have a good chance of completing the campaign. So kick the tyres and fire her up!

For the first mission, my top tip is read the briefing. I don't want to give any spoilers, so I'll leave it there. Although your plan (in concept, not detail) seems sound... ;)

Be keen to hear how you get on.

Cheery!

Already got 1st platoon commander injured and the halftrack gunner dead at first contact. This is not "glucking" well... :)

You really treat your soldiers much better the way you presented this campaign. You know every soldier counts and it hurts a lot when you get losses. Very immersive Sir George MC! 

17 hours ago, Hister said:

Already got 1st platoon commander injured and the halftrack gunner dead at first contact. This is not "glucking" well... :)

You really treat your soldiers much better the way you presented this campaign. You know every soldier counts and it hurts a lot when you get losses. Very immersive Sir George MC!   

Aye close range engagements with SPW don't end well for the crews. Interestingly the RZM book about KG Muhlenkamp shows most of the crews with their heads down when the SPW are advancing to contact and the MGs unmanned. 

Glad you appreciate the immersion factor. Given there are no replacement grenadiers I was hoping to encourage players to look after their grunts and treat them with care. However as the action hots up and gaps start to appear in your unit, plus you start to lose the original officers and NCOs (marked with an *), every single KIA or MIA will sting even more. It also brings home that you can't go to war and expect not to lose troops.

Thanks for the update - I'm sure you'll find your stride with this initial mission - mind my top tip - "read the briefing" ;)

Ca' canny and awra best as we say in Scotland!

Edited by George MC

Yeah, hurts as hell. Good to know, I'll open up the gunners only when very far away from possible enemy contacts. They are a bullet magnets. Mine was shot directly in the head with the Russian anti armor hand held gun... His head must have splattered all the soldiers sitting in the carriage, gruesome ordeal. Funny how I feel so much connected to them making these visuals in my head.  Seems like I'll have to put mark IVs to the front and only trail with halftracks behind them.   

4 hours ago, George MC said:

Ca' canny and awra best as we say in Scotland!

I'm sure I wouldn't understand much visiting your part of the world... ;) 

8 hours ago, Hister said:

Yeah, hurts as hell. Good to know, I'll open up the gunners only when very far away from possible enemy contacts. They are a bullet magnets. Mine was shot directly in the head with the Russian anti armor hand held gun... His head must have splattered all the soldiers sitting in the carriage, gruesome ordeal. Funny how I feel so much connected to them making these visuals in my head.  Seems like I'll have to put mark IVs to the front and only trail with halftracks behind them.    I'm sure I wouldn't understand much visiting your part of the world... ;)  

Aye ATRs are pretty deadly - you can see why the Soviets fielded em even late war when the Germans still ran about with half tracks and such like, plus they make a mess of the vision blocks, radio aerials etc of tanks.

Combined arms is key to success in this campaign - so close support dismounted infantry with closed up armour are still vital...

Re accents - not so bad my part of the world where I now live. Where I'm from not so easy!

This is my voice narrating this wee video:

See? Dead easy to make out!