Thinking about getting Black Sea or Red Thunder

Zemke

MikeyD,

Interesting analogy. Mine is more akin to going, following thorough training, from driving, say, a Tiger 1 (which has a steering wheel) to a T-34/76 with stiff steering levers, major drive train issues, loose tracks, a damaged road wheel and iffy brakes. As for stick shift, there were quite a few times when I thought it was beyond me. The way I finally got it was when a friend drove me over to a nearby, not yet operational industrial park. There, Mr. Uncoordinated tried and tried to deal with the intricacies of clutch, gearshift and gas. Screech! Grind! Stall! and every other thing typical of klutz newbie trying to learn stick. After having his teeth practically jarred from his head in one convulsive automotive spasm after another, he shouted "Pull over!" He jumped out of my TR-4, went out into the field, and came back with a  a perplexing to me disturbingly large rock practically the size of my head. This short powerfully built guy then asked "See this rock? The next time you miss a shift I'm going to hit you over the head with it!" My intellect said he wouldn't, another part wasn't sure, and fear said he might. All of a sudden I managed to put all the pieces together and get the hands and feet sorted out. Lo and behold, I then could drive stick! Now, I love it. MInd, I don't recommend having experienced CMx2 players help those transitioning into CMx2 by threatening compressive skull fractures or worse!

Regards,

John Kettler

All CM games are kind of the same-ish. Comes down to timeline and wargear preferences.

Not sure why BS is considered as a far deadlier environment than RT. RT is WW2, so casualies will be massive and largely unavoidable (losing half of an entrenched battalion in an opening barrage is pretty normal in RT; while BS arty is more annoying than deadly to entrenched troops and is mostly used to KO vehicles). Armor combat is more fun in RT due to numerous bounces and partial penetrations; BS is more about spotting, since everything will most likely be killed in one shot. BS has more fun to use and capable infantry due to a wide range of avaliable toys.

On a technical front, BS feels a little tigher and slightly smoother, but it could be placebo effect. BS mission/campaign content is slim pickings atm (if you want to play with Red toys, it's virtually non-existent beyond 5 campaign missions and a 3-4 scenarios). It appears that RT will get an expansion module alot sooner than BS.

Edited by Red Rage

My suggestion is that if you run a Mac, wait until they fix it.

Although you could be waiting a long time, they never did fix the 81% bug in Shock Force.

Jammer six, I've run CM X 1 and Shock Force w/Marines module on PC (using boot camp) and all of the CM X 2 games (and modules) released to date on my Mac. I've played a lot of PBEM with a friend who uses a PC and we've never had a problem with the PBEM games or files. How about you send me a PM with the issues you're experiencing, and maybe I can help you to sort things out. BTW, i haven't experienced the "81% bug" (that I know of) in SF either. I have that on the Mac side also with all three modules.

Not sure why BS is considered as a far deadlier environment than RT...Armor combat ...numerous bounces and partial penetrations; BS is more about spotting, since everything will most likely be killed in one shot. BS has more fun to use and capable infantry due to a wide range of avaliable toys.

And there you answer your unsureness. On a BS battlefield, if it can be seen it can probably be killed by half a dozen different systems; you lose entire platoons to airburst direct fire HE, instead of off map arty.

Sheer number for number RT has way higher casualty rates. Loosing a platoon in BS hurts, while in RT it's just an agressive recce for the armored main course. I think it was Cross of Iron campaign's opening mission where i lost 400 men and 9 Tigers , all in defensive posture, in a span of 15 minutes of a Soviet steamroll preceeded by a rolling rocket barrage. 400-600 is a typical casualty number for an entire BS campaign.

More casulties = deadlier, no?

Sheer number for number RT has way higher casualty rates. Loosing a platoon in BS hurts, while in RT it's just an agressive recce for the armored main course. I think it was Cross of Iron campaign's opening mission where i lost 400 men and 9 Tigers , all in defensive posture, in a span of 15 minutes of a Soviet steamroll preceeded by a rolling rocket barrage. 400-600 is a typical casualty number for an entire BS campaign.

More casulties = deadlier, no?

No. Higher PERCENTAGE of casualties maybe.  So starting with 400 men while losing 100 and starting with 100 while losing 100 are not equal

I know you knew that, but had to point it out.

:D

sburke,

That's not really the point of what he's telling us. What he's really saying (without realizing it) is that MRLs, in light of the immense casualties they inflicted in the example presented, are clearly out of control and need to be moved to CMBS!  A notion with which I can do nothing but agree. Also, it's just as well that BFC doesn't model gore, for it would've been there in plenty after that rocket barrage--likely at GPU strangling levels. Meanwhile, a truly twisted beverage name came to mind in contemplating the terminal effects of all those rockets. Landser Mist, which is, of course, a hearty red!

Regards,

John Kettler

This thread has inspired me to go back to the Black Sea demo, and commit to the final Rolling Thunder mission. LOVING IT!!!

Question that I'm sure is really obvious and in front of me here, but I can't find it. In the full version, how many stand-alone scenarios are there, and separate to those how many 'campaigns are there (I think 3, one for each nationality (US, Russia and Ukraine)?), and how many missions roughly in each campaign?

Meanwhile, a truly twisted beverage name came to mind in contemplating the terminal effects of all those rockets. Landser Mist, which is, of course, a hearty red!

If that's a german vintage, "mist" means manure... Which they are definitely in, but you wouldn't want to drink it.

This thread has inspired me to go back to the Black Sea demo, and commit to the final Rolling Thunder mission. LOVING IT!!!

Question that I'm sure is really obvious and in front of me here, but I can't find it. In the full version, how many stand-alone scenarios are there, and separate to those how many 'campaigns are there (I think 3, one for each nationality (US, Russia and Ukraine)?), and how many missions roughly in each campaign?

I believe there are five missions in each campaign. That could be misleading though. At a certain point, you might get an easier or more difficult follow-up mission based on your score in the previous mission.

In CMRT I just quickly counted up 28(?) standalone scenarios, though that number may be off. Trying to subtract out the third party scenarios and misc crap that accumulates in my game folders. My QB maps folder has 178 files in it.

My Black Sea scenarios folder has so much accumulated stuff in it that I can't guess at the basegame scenario number count. :)

Hi Zemke,

I remember playing a few online CMx1 games with you. Lots of fun and a long time ago.

If you don't have any of the CMx2 games then I would suggest RT. Otherwise I would buy Black Sea.

I have all of the games, add ons, and modules. In my view you can't go wrong with any choice.

I used to LOVE playing TCIP Combat Mission 1 games.  I particularly liked the time limits on orders, as I felt that added to the pressure to make decisions quicker and was more realistic at that scale, and made for a faster paced game.  Does either RT or BS have time limits?  I know SF did not, and it's TCIP model was not really the same as the old CM1 games, which was the main reason I left Combat Mission game completely after SF came out.  I wanted the same thing we had in the old CM games, but better interface/graphics/improvements, but that is years old news now.

Hi Zemke,

Online play was only RT but recently that changed and wego is now an option, however I play all my games by PBEM so I cannot comment how wego online works. Perhaps someone else can explain.

The new game system and engine are very good but there are a number of players ( including me) who pine for inclusion of some Cmx1 features that did not survive the transition.

Didn't CM1 give a roll up of kills by how they were killed, like small arms fire, or how many kills a unit got, or am I thinking of a different game, or something I wish it had?

Anyway, I love looking at end of game stats, not sure of this was in Steel Panthers or Combat Mission.

Didn't CM1 give a roll up of kills by how they were killed, like small arms fire, or how many kills a unit got, or am I thinking of a different game, or something I wish it had?

Anyway, I love looking at end of game stats, not sure of this was in Steel Panthers or Combat Mission.

I can't speak with any certainty about x1, though I believe you are correct. But end-game stats are there in x2 for every element except off-map arty. It even keeps an accumulating total for each unit during the progress of a campaign.

Where do you see that in CM2?  I am playing Shock Force and do not see each selected units kills.  The game list total kills and wounded for each side, but I can find nothing looking at individual units.  I would love to know how to see this.

Edited by Zemke

It's on the left edge of the screen where there is usually a readout of what action each team member is doing.

EDIT: Just noticed you're playing Shock Force. I don't have that game and if it isn't in there the feature was added in the Normandy game.

SAV3NR.jpg

Edited by Vanir Ausf B