Thinking about getting Black Sea or Red Thunder

Zemke

Some quick responses:

1.  Bootcamp is not virtual environment, therefore in theory a Windows version should run fine on the Mac no problem.  But there is a catch.  And that is Bootcamp has to use Apple drivers to interface between Windows and the Apple hardware.  If there is any sort of problem/glitch in the drivers, then there's a problem with compatibility.  This is something common on the Windows side of things, especially for PC laptops, so it's not a Mac specific thing.

2.  The Mac CMSF loading bug (be it 36% or otherwise) was caused by Apple updating video drivers with a bug that affected all CMx2 MacOS products.  The problem is specific to how a particular type of texture is loaded into the GPU.  The code affected had been working just fine for about 7 years prior to this update.  We patched the supported CMx2 products with a work around that, while not optimal, wasn't too bad.  Apparently Apple has not fixed the bug or at least hasn't made the fix available for some systems.  We haven't really had enough data to determine the specifics.

If I could snap my fingers and produce a CMSF MacOS patch to fix the load problem, I would.  Unfortunately our time is always stretched thing and patching unsupported products can't be a top priority for us.  Though despite what I said above, I can't say for 100% sure we won't put out a patch at some point.  I'm just saying people should not expect one since the product is discontinued.

Steve

I understand, for the most part.

It's just frustrating that small and tiny scenarios work, and that the problem is specifically and consistently at 36%. Is there a way to see what is supposed to be loading at that percent and change it?

Just so I don't come off as a complainer, I picked up a windows version of the Marines bundle, and even with Parallels, VM Ware, and Wine it runs into the same issue, which I find really interesting. I haven't tried Boot Camp yet, though.

I caved and picked up my copy of Black Sea today. I guess I missed BTRs that much.

I'm running CMSF bundle on a 2010 Mac Pro. I've not experienced this "dreaded" 36% lock up on any of the modules (now watch me have one tonight). I also have CMSF and Marines on boot camp and have never had the issue on that either (Mac Pro and MacBook Pro). I did upgrade to at least 8 GB of RAM on both. 

As much endearment and time I have in CMSF from the start, CMBS - ROCKS ... a lot more. 

CMBS- Demo tesintg is in order…if you are a ’New Modern’ fan. 

As for CMSF vs CMRT… CMRT is a fist full of fun… more than I ever expected and works great on my Mac / Hackintosh!

Buzz

• 2 weeks later...