The Vehicle Pack is out!

Hmm I agree with the previous post regarding the price being steep considering it only contains vehicles. If you could use these vehicles in PBEM against opponents that don't have the pack than it would be worth 20 USD.

That would also work as great advertisment, imagine seeing a crab or flamethrower being used against you when and you have not seen them in game before. They should patch all vehicles in and sell codes so people could unlock them.

With that said I will probably end up getting them in the end but since it requires a module to be fully utilized and a 3.0 upgrade I would have prefered a smaller price for those customers that have already invested in all the upgrades and modules.

I suspect pricing would be related to expected sales volume. If you expect to sell a lot of units like Commonwealth module the cost of production can be spread out across the full run. A vehicle pack is another matter. Its a more difficult climb before you break even on the product. And this module turned into more of a daunting climb than anyone expected. They'd can't exactly sell the product at below cost. A Faberge egg can't sell for the same price as a Cadbury egg.

Hmm I agree with the previous post regarding the price being steep considering it only contains vehicles. If you could use these vehicles in PBEM against opponents that don't have the pack than it would be worth 20 USD.

That would also work as great advertisment, imagine seeing a crab or flamethrower being used against you when and you have not seen them in game before. They should patch all vehicles in and sell codes so people could unlock them.

With that said I will probably end up getting them in the end but since it requires a module to be fully utilized and a 3.0 upgrade I would have prefered a smaller price for those customers that have already invested in all the upgrades and modules.

As I said before, it's not only vehicles - the Crab and (to a lesser extent) the AVRE required functionality

Is this worth purchasing?

I am afraid I will never be able to afford new units because rarity must be mind boggling. Also I have feeling this package will seriously unbalance the game. 76 mm fanatic AT gun bunker is gonna made the game impossible to win for allied player.

Just use smoke

ditto to the AT bunker

I agree all vehicles should be coded in game and patches released. So all games are patched and uptodate.

If you want to play with units pay extra to unlock.

Atleast it would mean your opponent is not restricted in using these if they pay for them.

Makes sense also as the current format is disruptive to PBM games and with all the games im playing id rather not patch.

Id like to know the fixes in this patch also.

251/16 went in late. I believe its buried in the regular old mech infantry armored TO&E section. My ability to negotiate the growing TO&E maze is not the best, myself. ;)

Yeah, I RTFMed and found it under Pz Gren Reg Armored.

Pretty intimating looking vehicle for being a tin-can HT.

Just wondering, how come the Wasp was left off the list? Was it bumped for something else, or did you guys just run out of room/time?

Mord.

Thanks for the feedback! Here's some responses to issues raised:

The effort to make this Pack was greater than expected. We started on this thing back in Spring 2014. It consumed a lot of development time because there were a fair number of 100% "ground up" vehicles that had to be built, the Crab behavior is brand new in many ways, and even the AVRE needed some unique code. We also had to adjust TacAI behavior in some places and tailoring the new vehicles into the old TO&E in a way that worked for all combinations of game installations.

We also take into consideration the possibilities of future reuse when we invest in making new vehicle models. A fair number of the vehicles in this Pack are specific to Normandy and therefore won't be reused ever again. Which means their costs can't be spread out over other releases.

We never, ever intended to ship a Vehicle Pack with scenarios because that adds an entire new layer of work to the finished product. It also adds about 2 months to the release schedule. For a $35 product earlier in the Family's lifespan (see next point) it makes sense to do it. For $20 later in the Family's lifespan it does not.

CMBN is now 3+ years old. While we are continually pleased by the sales of CMBN follow ups, for sure they are on the decline each release. If it was anything other than that I think we'd have heart attacks :D Even when I worked for a multi-billion game company sales of follow ups always trend downward. If you don't plan for this then you get into big problems. I suspect it is one of the reasons SSI went belly up as an independent company.

Compounding this is that we only have so many hours in the day to work on things. Spending 2 months on doing scenarios means 2 months our testers aren't working on much of anything else. It means that some members of our development team are distracted, ranging from very to somewhat depending on stage of development and responsibilities.

The short of it is... this wasn't cheap for us to make, it came at the expense of other development, and we expect sales to be in a range where $20 is necessary to make it worth doing. Since this is our first Vehicle Pack it might be that our costs are too high for the interest from customers, in which case it may be the last Vehicle Pack. Hopefully that won't be the case because I think that would be a real loss to the CM concept.

Steve

Thanks for the feedback! Here's some responses to issues raised:

The effort to make this Pack was greater than expected. We started on this thing back in Spring 2014. It consumed a lot of development time because there were a fair number of 100% "ground up" vehicles that had to be built, the Crab behavior is brand new in many ways, and even the AVRE needed some unique code. We also had to adjust TacAI behavior in some places and tailoring the new vehicles into the old TO&E in a way that worked for all combinations of game installations.

We also take into consideration the possibilities of future reuse when we invest in making new vehicle models. A fair number of the vehicles in this Pack are specific to Normandy and therefore won't be reused ever again. Which means their costs can't be spread out over other releases.

We never, ever intended to ship a Vehicle Pack with scenarios because that adds an entire new layer of work to the finished product. It also adds about 2 months to the release schedule. For a $35 product earlier in the Family's lifespan (see next point) it makes sense to do it. For $20 later in the Family's lifespan it does not.

CMBN is now 3+ years old. While we are continually pleased by the sales of CMBN follow ups, for sure they are on the decline each release. If it was anything other than that I think we'd have heart attacks :D Even when I worked for a multi-billion game company sales of follow ups always trend downward. If you don't plan for this then you get into big problems. I suspect it is one of the reasons SSI went belly up as an independent company.

Compounding this is that we only have so many hours in the day to work on things. Spending 2 months on doing scenarios means 2 months our testers aren't working on much of anything else. It means that some members of our development team are distracted, ranging from very to somewhat depending on stage of development and responsibilities.

The short of it is... this wasn't cheap for us to make, it came at the expense of other development, and we expect sales to be in a range where $20 is necessary to make it worth doing. Since this is our first Vehicle Pack it might be that our costs are too high for the interest from customers, in which case it may be the last Vehicle Pack. Hopefully that won't be the case because I think that would be a real loss to the CM concept.

Steve

I wish you guys had the time and money of some of Some of the bigger game companies. With the budget of the battlefield franchise for example i bet you guys could make one monster of a ww2 game

The couple guys that suggested we have a more-or-less "unlock" approach will be happy to know that we have already taken steps to make this happen. I can't say when it will come about, but it is our plan to do it at as soon as we can. We have already made a major technology shift to support this behavior.

For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about...

All CM players of a specific Family get access to all CM content for that Family, whether they've paid for it or not. If they have not paid for it they can use the content in H2H games with other people who have purchased the content. This can be done for QuickBattle games or scenarios made in the Editor. Players who have not purchased specific content will not have it available in single player mode or against other players who haven't purchased the content. Example...

Player A has the Base Game only

Player B has the Base Game + Module 1

Player C has the Base Game + Module 1 + Module 2

Player A and Player B can go head to head using the content from Base Game and Module 1, but not Module 2. Player A and Player C, as well as Player B and Player C, can use Base, Module 1, and Module 2.

It's definitely a good way to go for you guys because someone who has invested in additional content can be assured of using it to beat the crud out of any CM player :D

Steve

I bought a sandwich for lunch today. It took an unskilled laborer 5 minutes to make. I asked her why it took so long. She called me an a**hole. I went to the register and found it cost $8. I asked why so much. They told me to leave and never come back. I asked about a license for activation when I get hungry tomorrow and they said I would have to pay all over again . . . somewhere else because they don't want me to come back. 4 hours later I have forgotten what it tasted like.

Perspective is an interesting thing

how come the Wasp was left off the list? Was it bumped for something else, or did you guys just run out of room/time?

Funny thing is, I don't think Wasp was ever on anyone's list, ever discussed or ever even considered! At least not in my presence. I can't really say why. It remains a mystery.

One vehicle that was on the initial list was flamethrower Sherman. Then Steve discovered documentation about when it showed up in Europe and when it was used and... Well... maybe flamethrower Sherman will show up in the Bulge title. Most of the famous flamethrower Sherman picts you see from WWII are from Okinawa in 1945. That came as a blow to Steve, he really really wanted flamethrower Shermans. ;)

I wish you guys had the time and money of some of Some of the bigger game companies. With the budget of the battlefield franchise for example i bet you guys could make one monster of a ww2 game

Tell me about it :( Blizzard pissed away $50 million on a single game that they canceled this year. That's more money than Battlefront has in its entire 15 year life by a long shot. Imagine if they had instead given us $5 million and never started the game they screwed up. I bet we would show a profit. Grrr.

Reminds me of when I worked for Sierra Online. They were intent on putting all their eggs in as few baskets as possible. The head of the company said to me, personally, that he would rather spend $1 million on 1 game per year than $200,00 for 5 games in a year. I asked him what would happen if his one game flopped? I don't remember his exact answer, but I do remember that it didn't impress me in a favorable way :)

It was fun to prove him wrong very shortly thereafter. The games they pegged in the AAA slots for that Christmas didn't do well. Our game, a small one by comparison, was very profitable. I was told we (and a few others small games) saved the company's arse.

And people wonder why Battlefront has been successful for 15 years while once great giants have faded into obscurity or faded away completely. I did notice that the Sierra brand was resurrected this summer after being defunct for many years.

Steve

Funny thing is, I don't think Wasp was ever on anyone's list, ever discussed or ever even considered! At least not in my presence. I can't really say why. It remains a mystery.

That's weird, I figured it was a given.

Most of the famous flamethrower Sherman picts you see from WWII are from Okinawa in 1945. That came as a blow to Steve, he really really wanted flamethrower Shermans. ;)

I am not nearly as schooled in these things as a lot of you guys on the board but I didn't even know they used them in Europe. I always thought they were just used in the Pacific.

Mord.

Since this is our first Vehicle Pack it might be that our costs are too high for the interest from customers, in which case it may be the last Vehicle Pack. Hopefully that won't be the case because I think that would be a real loss to the CM concept.

Steve

I hope it isn't the only one. I love the concept and there's still some stuff that could be added, French Forces come to mind right off the bat. It's cool to have new stuff because it brings a freshness to the whole family, even the vehicles that were released with the title feel refreshed because of the new content. I think what we received was a decent amount for 20 bucks. You won't hear me complaining about it.

Mord.

The couple guys that suggested we have a more-or-less "unlock" approach will be happy to know that we have already taken steps to make this happen. I can't say when it will come about, but it is our plan to do it at as soon as we can. We have already made a major technology shift to support this behavior.

For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about...

All CM players of a specific Family get access to all CM content for that Family, whether they've paid for it or not. If they have not paid for it they can use the content in H2H games with other people who have purchased the content. This can be done for QuickBattle games or scenarios made in the Editor. Players who have not purchased specific content will not have it available in single player mode or against other players who haven't purchased the content. Example...

Player A has the Base Game only

Player B has the Base Game + Module 1

Player C has the Base Game + Module 1 + Module 2

Player A and Player B can go head to head using the content from Base Game and Module 1, but not Module 2. Player A and Player C, as well as Player B and Player C, can use Base, Module 1, and Module 2.

It's definitely a good way to go for you guys because someone who has invested in additional content can be assured of using it to beat the crud out of any CM player :D

Steve

This sounds great... as long as you don't let the Beta guys use developmental stuff against the rest of us :)