Status update on "Black Sea"

Ukraine is frighteningly close. A new major war in Europe would be the last thing we would need in these times of economic trouble. Judging from what i ve read in todays newspapers, i am quite sure that Russia will annex at least parts of eastern Ukraine as well. There were already reports of troops in russian uniforms and with russian equipment operating in Donezk.

Anyways, i cant wait to slug it out with russian tanks as soon as Black Sea is released! It is the battlefront game i am currentl waiting for most.

Ukraine is frighteningly close. A new major war in Europe would be the last thing we would need in these times of economic trouble. Judging from what i ve read in todays newspapers, i am quite sure that Russia will annex at least parts of eastern Ukraine as well. There were already reports of troops in russian uniforms and with russian equipment operating in Donezk.

Anyways, i cant wait to slug it out with russian tanks as soon as Black Sea is released! It is the battlefront game i am currentl waiting for most.

As long as they are not real Russian and NATO tanks shooting at each other. Maybe we should have Russian and Ukranian champions play this game to decide who wins politically. Ant to the victor goes East Ukraie. That way nobody actually has to die.

There were already reports of troops in russian uniforms and with russian equipment operating in Donezk.

Do not forget about 300 US mercenaries Brennan brought to Ukraine! Quite laughable they try to pretend 'Ukrainian special forces'.

Will private, contracted forces be included in the game?

Do not forget about 300 US mercenaries Brennan brought to Ukraine! Quite laughable they try to pretend 'Ukrainian special forces'.

Havent heard of that yet - are you talking about those newly raised national guard units? If yes, what makes you think that they are from the US? Any sources? To me it seems quite authentical that, given a situation were Ukrainian territorial integrity is threatened by an enemy several times stronger than the Ukrainian regular forces, the government in Kiev starts to raise militias to strenghen their defenses. Many other governments have done so before in similar situations.

Russia made the claim about private military soldiers from a US company in Ukrainian special forces uniforms weeks ago. I didn't see any 'proof', but in my opinion it's plausible. Probably some payments are coming from regions west of Ukraine. In my beliefs it's also plausible Russia is using paid operatives as well in the Ukraine.

Hopefully Ukraine moving on the military airfield will stop Russian forces from 'enforcing humarn rights' in the sector. Otherwise CMBS might be more close to reality than CMSF, unfortunately.

In addition to US, Ukranian and Russian I would like to see (eventually)

British

French

German

Dutch

Belgian

Polish

Italian

Romanian

Baltic States (Latvia, Estonia. Lithuania)

Belarus

Moldova

Trans Dniester (Pro Russian Paramilitary types)

This would allow for a great variety of scenarios in game. In terms of terrain we might include Eastern European, Russian and perhaps even German building options. And,naturally, for a final battle in Moscow, the Kremlin! :D

The past has shown that battlefront preferably adds factions in modules that allow for at least partially recycling of already existing content. For example the only faction in CMSF + modules that doesnt share any of its equipment with at least one of the other factions are the British - the rest all have at least some common equipment. The same is true for the Polish faction and the SS in CMBN - both share large quantities of equipment with forces that were already part of the base game.

The past has shown that battlefront preferably adds factions in modules that allow for at least partially recycling of already existing content. For example the only faction in CMSF + modules that doesnt share any of its equipment with at least one of the other factions are the British - the rest all have at least some common equipment. The same is true for the Polish faction and the SS in CMBN - both share large quantities of equipment with forces that were already part of the base game.

Which means hat factions like the Poles should be pretty easy for BF to do. Just with an official Polish TOE.They,the Romanians and the Hunfgarians (I forgot about them :D ) would be likely to have a strong interest in a war in Ukraine - just look at the Polish attitude to the on-going real world crisis.

And pretty much all BF would have to do then is slightly different graphics for uniform differences Since the policy is to add new forces in modules and many of the Western NATO forces willlargely be based on the already existing CMSF armies (following neccessary updating work for the new engine and any real world changes) the introducion of these forces should not be that hard, particularly if the work is done over multiple modules.

Given the real world situation there coud well be considerable interest in gaming in the Eastern European area and a rennaissance of interest in the moderns period which has largely been in the doldrums for the last couple of decades since the end of the Cold War.

Although we all hope that the game will not be ovetaken by real world events. Maybe we should get Moscow and Kiev to play the game to show them what a losing proposition a war like this would be, probab;y for both sides.

Masked Spetsnaz in Ukraine are quite clearly seen wearing brand new digicam and carrying the RPG-30 Kryuk/Hook slung. I saw the Spetsnaz on BBC World News Tonight this evening.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RPG-30

The RPG-30 is a frontline (entered service in 2013, therefore, not a militia weapon) Russian weapon specifically designed to, first, defeat the APS (Active Protection System) starting to appear on tanks and IFVs, following by defeating ERA, then the primary armor on the vehicle defended. The external links are of particular value, in that they show the actual projectiles. I'd say the penetration numbers vs armor are very low relative to presumed design goal.

Those of you interested in unavailable elsewhere insider details on the nits and grits of the Ukraine Crisis are invited to come to my site, whose URL is my name, plus the usual. I've written a bunch of posts on the Ukraine Crisis, with more to come. I plan to put something up soonish on the aerial incursions which may cause jaws to drop.

Regards,

John Kettler

No offence, but the "little green men" - as they are called sometimes - are carrying RPG-26 disposable launchers, around since the mid 80s. No doubt they're Russians though.

https://twitter.com/cjchivers/status/461540171302076416/photo/1

The camo they are wearing is a special one called Spectre (you can buy it downtown Moscow)

http://sso-mil.ru/catalog/84/22438?sphrase_id=42836

starting to speculate the newer to&e here.

personally more interested in tanks, i think it is safe to assume we'll see the SEP v2 Tusk 2 abrams?

also there's talk of the ECP upgrade. in addition to use Tusk by default there's mention of new armor solution and counter IED devices.

http://www.armyrecognition.com/weapons_defence_industry_military_technology_uk/u.s._army_research_and_development_for_main_battle_tank_m1_abrams_under_ecp_program_0411121.html

more in this thread by Damian90

http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/showthread.php?207385-M1-Abrams-tanks-modernisation-proposal-in-to-M1A3/page7

Yet to do decent research on what the latest bradley is like but apparently it's received more upgrades since CMSF's 2008 (the new IFV probably is outta the scope as it hasn't come to fruition...)

starting to speculate the newer to&e here.

personally more interested in tanks, i think it is safe to assume we'll see the SEP v2 Tusk 2 abrams?

also there's talk of the ECP upgrade. in addition to use Tusk by default there's mention of new armor solution and counter IED devices.

http://www.armyrecognition.com/weapons_defence_industry_military_technology_uk/u.s._army_research_and_development_for_main_battle_tank_m1_abrams_under_ecp_program_0411121.html

more in this thread by Damian90

http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/showthread.php?207385-M1-Abrams-tanks-modernisation-proposal-in-to-M1A3/page7

Yet to do decent research on what the latest bradley is like but apparently it's received more upgrades since CMSF's 2008 (the new IFV probably is outta the scope as it hasn't come to fruition...)

Just about all of the US equipment has been upgraded or changed in some way since Shock Force, even if the model number stays the same.

We're currently planning on M1A2 SEPv2 Abrams with ERA and possibly some other goodies (and likely the option to have it without ERA as well). Bradley and Stryker also have upgrades and changes that will be reflected.

Just about all of the US equipment has been upgraded or changed in some way since Shock Force, even if the model number stays the same.

We're currently planning on M1A2 SEPv2 Abrams with ERA and possibly some other goodies (and likely the option to have it without ERA as well). Bradley and Stryker also have upgrades and changes that will be reflected.

Thanks and nice to hear Chris!! Keep up the good work! Meanwhile more search for me to discover what's in store for us:)

A Question - Will there be helecopter transported troops and if so will we see them fly in and land ?

Nope. The work required to do such a thing isn't worth it, considering all the other more important things we would have to give up in order to dedicate the time to such a feature.

It is especially not worth it when considering that, in this sort of combat setting, other than very special circumstances (like special ops), landing troops via helicopter directly onto an active battlefield is the stuff of movies, not reality. The amount of AA the enemy possesses would turn it into a bloodbath.