Title Suggestions

JoMac

'Red Storm', 'Red Orchestra' ( altho that name is already taken ), 'Red Blitz', I think are better title names then 'Red Thunder'...Ofcourse there still several other East Front titles to come.

Can you think of other title suggestions for this and other upcoming East Front games & modules ?

Joe

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a thread over on the CMSF board offering alt. suggestions for 'CM:Black Sea'. Its an amusing example of just how hard it is to come up with a decent game title after all. The title above "Red Orchestra" tells you something - a game title doesn't need to make any sense! :D

Red Orchestra or Rote Kapelle was a Gestapo code for some anti-fascist resistance groups. The UnReal Tournament mod of the same name was originally devised to be centered around Gestapo-resistance fighting and the name just stuck when the scope changed to East Front infantry combat.

Personally, I'm partial to COMBAT MISSION: ЯED ЯUM

BFC has never had much of a knack for coming up with felicitous and exciting titles I'm afraid. IMHO, Red Thunder isn't that bad. Most of the really good titles got used by board game companies 30-40-50 years ago. Some of them have been recycled into computer games, like Highway to the Reich, but I don't think BFC likes to do that.

Michael

Names are so easy to come up with when you don't have to live with the decision :D All the testers are involved in naming our games, so it's about 30-40 people putting their heads together to figure out what to name the game. Unfortunately, lots of great names are already taken OR would cause confusion with other games (i.e. maybe legally we could use it, but not a good idea to). Then there's a host of practical issues, such as length, what the acronym looks like (we had a pretty good name that wound up being "CMBS". Not!), being too groggy, being too general, being too confusing, being too specific... it's not an easy thing to do.

I'd say we probably evaluated over 50 names for this game. CM Red Thunder won out.

Steve

A little more worrying is that it looks like there is already a commercial strategic sim game covering Operation Bagration that is called Red Thunder. I hope there won't be any trouble.

EDIT: hadn't seen Steve's post before I posted. If you do a Google image search for Red Thunder you should find it.

A little more worrying is that it looks like there is already a commercial strategic sim game covering Operation Bagration that is called Red Thunder. I hope there won't be any trouble.

EDIT: hadn't seen Steve's post before I posted. If you do a Google image search for Red Thunder you should find it.

Yes, there was a pc wargame by that name published 14 years ago. It was not a big succes... But they no longer hold the rights to the name. Trademark has expired on 3/28/2001. You can even look that on the internet at Trademarkia. So that should not pose a problem.

Yes, there was a pc wargame by that name published 14 years ago.

I think it is a different game - the one I saw is by a different group and is still being sold. Whether it would cause a problem I don't know and really isn't my business - I was just passing on what I saw. I think it should be easy to find but if anyone from BFC wants a link then feel free to PM me.

Um, I can only find Red Thunder from Edensoft, abandonware...BUT check this, not only coincidence in their names I think...

Red Thunder Demo

News > Demos

23:36 Jul 30th, 2002- 2,507 Views

Incredible Simulations, Inc has released a playable demo of their battalion level war game, Red Thunder. The demo lets players "control the Russians or the Germans and play through a scenario based on Operation Bagration 1944 from Smolensk to the Gates of Warsaw." Size: 6.59 MB. On a related story, the game has been recently re-released and can be bought from the official site for $19.95.